Turntable choices

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Rega P3-24 without external PS:

Attachments

• 106294.jpg
    106294.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
CAP,

You no-doubt have a nice digital rig (fixed now, right ?), but Vinyl has a magic to it the is not necessarily better, but more natural-sounding. It's a really cool thing to play an old record and find yourself swimming in the music of your teenage years.... I just played side 2 of Journey's Escape album and it rocked with authority !!!

I hope you reconsider someday when the kids are a little older. ;)

Those CLS' would be un-phorking-believable with a decent turntable feeding them.

~VDR

I love it VAN a man who can say they listen to Journey and enjoy it.:bowdown: It reminds me of the scene in Chuck And Larry when He says "lets go Junior High on them" ! I damn near cried with laughter as it was so true!

Its just me not the kids but now you say it like that ! Un-Phorking Believable ....Im all for that !

OK Blood started to pump to brain ! New Ideas popping up:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm Im looking through the functions of the KPS25sc now

Last edited:
Dan has the description right. Justin, I'm suprised you're not familiar with PRAT, it's the term usually most associated with British tables. Linn coined the term I think, but Rega, Naim and even Mitchell worship at the same altar.

Actually, I did know, but it's a term that was fashionable here a long time ago and hasn't been used much since - at least I haven't seen it for years.

Audio - it's a trendy thing sometimes.

My vote? Get the Rega - it's English, and we won the war (with a little help from our friends:)).

Seriously, though, I would buy the Clearaudio - I mean - look at it! Who cares what it sounds like:D

Last edited:
Just want your thoughts on the $300 difference in price. Is the C/A worth the extra coin (sound)???

C/A:
Don't forget that neither TT has much of a suspension, so you may want to factor in the cost of a stable surface on which to mount it. I highly recommend the Target wall-mount shelf if you have suspended floors.

After looking through MiTT's system page recently, I ordered the Onzow stylus cleaner, for $69 ($90 Canadian, by the time it got to me - darn taxes!).

Is the Rega arm adjustable for VTA or do you still have to dick around with spacers or get a special base so you can raise and lower the am ?

No VTA on a Rega. It is a good arm, though - I used to own one. It is possibly a bit over-rated, but in it's price bracket has always been a winner.

Oh BTW: the Rega DOES sound good - much better than you would think looking at it. An old girlfriend of mine used to own one!

If it was ME spending the money I'd get the Rega. In addition to a sound I personally prefer, there are a number of folks who make after market upgrades for the Rega, so you'll be able to tweak later as your budget allows, including VTA.

The music

CAP,
It's a really cool thing to play an old record and find yourself swimming in the music of your teenage years.... I just played side 2 of Journey's Escape album and it rocked with authority !!!

~VDR

Rock, pop, whatever you want to call it. Music from this time period, ala the Journey stuff perhaps Boston, Styx, Kansas etc.......sounds great on a table. And your right it takes me right back to those days with my dad yelling "turn that $#1T down!!"
How about Journey Infinity?

Doug - out

upgrades

If it was ME spending the money I'd get the Rega. In addition to a sound I personally prefer, there are a number of folks who make after market upgrades for the Rega, so you'll be able to tweak later as your budget allows, including VTA.

Clearaudio is famous for the upgrade path in their product. However I'm not 100% sure that the Emotion is one you can upgrade. This would be worth checking into for either table.

Doug - out

And your right it takes me right back to those days with my dad yelling "turn that $#1T down!!"
How about Journey Infinity?

Been there, done that !! And my Dad while out on a business trip after divorcing my Mom and put a sticker on the Linn LP12 that stated:

"This is my stereo. It doesn't like VanHalen or Ratt played too loud on it"

I smoked a doobie and quickly disobeyed... Not one of my prouder moments. :cool:

~VDR

VDR,

Whatever choice you make, I think you and the boys will get great satisfaction with a decent turntable your system. Think about the difference between playing your guitars through an SS amp and a tubed amp. Old School Rules!

The ritual of playing an album, to me, Is like uncorking a vintage bottle of wine and you'll most likely want to savor the whole album side. I've recently rediscovered fantastic tunes that I might skip over if I was playing the CD.

Lucky boys, all three of you! :)

Satch

Anyway... The candidates for consideration. Please don't tell me the ClearAudio looks sexier, because I already know that. Just want your thoughts on the $300 difference in price. Is the C/A worth the extra coin (sound)???

C/A:

Can't comment on the Rega but for whatever it's worth, I had the opportunity to listen to the same C/A rig thru a Musical Fidelity A5 powering Vantages about two years ago. I was actually auditioning the A5 but left with the feeling I had invested too much money in my JA Michelle Technodec/ Grado Sonata rig.

Back