Tuner Shootout: Modded SAE 8000 vs Sony FDR-X1HD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
Unboxed and hooked up the new cat's a$$, everybody's talkin' 'bout, Sony FDX-X1HD. It sits on top of my current tuner, the aforementioned vintage SAE model 8000, purportedly modded in ways too mysterious to me by a guy known for knowing his stuff.
Both units are handicapped by ridiculously bad antennas: the SAE is connected to cheesy rabbit ears mounted behind the rack, the Sony connected to the cheesy unbalanced dipole from it's box, in the same config I used for a dipole on the SAE. That evens out in my book for now until I get the MD whip antenna rigged.
The SAE is further handicapped by being sick. It wont process stereo, the MPX circuitry must be having problems, as if having the mono switch always activated. Matched levels on the preamp and even have the same mfgr interconnects. The SAE has a trick up it's sleeve with a 25microsecond (?) deemphasis switch.
Ding! Round 1:
WMNF 88.5, Full (3) bars on the sony, ~4.5 (out of 10) on the SAE signal meter. The Sony is in analog mode as the digital signal is too weak to lock in. The SAE has it on the Sony, soundwise. slightly more detail and "life" regardless of being mono. Hit the de-emph switch on the SAE and Sony gets one eye swollen shut.
Ding! Round 2:
W- whatever, some disco station up the line. Sony has 3 bars and is in digital mode, SAE has full 10 on the meter. Same deal as above and Sony has the other eye punched shut.
Ding! Round 3:
W-???, 90.1: SAE is barely reading 2 on the meter but the station comes in with less noise than expected. The Sony can go home now, as all I hear from it is the roar of the crowd as the SAE wins the title.
Having stereo reception on the Sony really didn't help here as seperation is nowhere near CD quality, even on digital broadcast. This is by no means the final word for the Sony, but it's no revelation so far.

Last edited:
Get an old all-tube tuner, you won't sell the Sony fast enough!

Or any respectable vintage tuner for that matter, although I would agree that there is certainly more "magic" in tubed units. I think that there is something much nicer (more musical) about the sound of vintage tuners that just can't compare in newer units. Could be that FM just isn't as predominant a source compared to what it once was, so manufacturers don't generate as much revenue from them therefore, why bother. Exception of course would be a company like Magnum Dynalab who makes tuners almost exclusively.

I'm VERY happy with my older Marantz, although I'd love to get a nice tubed version someday. I've also heard some great older Sansui's, and I once heard a Sequerra - boy was that a champ even though I don't believe there was any glass in them!

Attachments

• NewTuner.jpg
    NewTuner.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
I have an Onkyo T 9090 Tuner stored somewhere in a box. It hasn't seen the light of day in more than 10 years (I hate commercials). AFAIR it was a great tuner. They just don't make em like they used to.

Ah! Excuse to post my Scott 350... now THAT'S a good sounding tuner. One of the 1st multiplexers vintage 1962-3. Must wipe off those finger marks:D

Been through a few to get to that - and the further back in time I went, the better it got. Madness, really.

Attachments

• SDC10460.jpg
    SDC10460.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back