tuner reception

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TileproNC

Reaction score
having trouble finding a good antenna for my tuner,any suggestions would be appreciated. indoor preferably

thanks for the help!!

I'm probably going to get violently hated/refuted for saying this, but I think a good Y shaped antenna works pretty well. You can buy some expensive indoor concoctions, including the "amplifying" types, but they don't really work that much better than the aforesaid. Amplifying sh*t doesn't work well.

I remember I paid a good £250 for a great rooftop many years ago. Did it make a great deal of difference? No. But it is the standard advice. And it probably is a little better than a Y antenna, in my experience.

Make sure your Y antenna is at least 2-3 metres long, with the Y-split about half way along it's length. Then just keep putting the two Y bits in different positions until it works as best as you can get it to.

Tell me if I'm wrong. But be honest based on your own personal experience. I'm as curious for better information as you are.

the best you are going to get is a tower style FM antenna (think back to the 50's and 60's or where cable doesn't yet reach). put it in the attic and bring the coax and rotor controls down to the tuner. i had plans to do exactly that (and hide the cable drop behind the living room curtains) but we're going to be moving, so it's not worth the effort for this house. but the next one.... :devil:

Not sure what the FM frequency band is in Great Brittan, but 2 to 3 meters may be a little bit long in N. America. On the k6sti pages, in the new Sony FM-HD tuner report, he shows how to make a simple split wire antenna.

Easy, I think. Magnum Dynalab make a "pole" antenna, approx. 48" high that can be used indoors or outdoors. Cost is about $100 and is available through Audio Advisors on a 30 day money back guarantee.

I use one, placed indoors, for my AV receiver and it works very well.

With a money back guarantee, no harm in trying and they usually have in stock. Has standard coax type termination.

GG

PS Ask for Tim Hahn. 800.942.0220

Last edited:
The normal T plastic dipole antenna, often packed with tuners, is actually a good antenna. Stretch it out, keep it away from metal along the length of it. After the T point, open out each leg at right angles from the center leg. The large face side should be pointed towards the desired direction of receive. Down the direction each of the arms faces is a null. You can use this to an advantage if you need to null a stronger, close in station.

Another option for a verticle, other than the Magnum Dynalab, are the models from Fanfare.

http://www.fanfarefm.com/antenna.html

Verticles don't have the problem of which way to point it, but also don't offer the null if needed.

Highly recommend forgetting any of the little plastic square (6" X 6") indoor antenna's. The leads seem to receive more than the antenna sometimes, very inefficient and unless in a stong area never seem very satisfying. The amplified models I 've played with often exhibit ghosting problems.

OldMonolith

Thanks for all the input everyone. A usual a world of info and great ideas from MLC. Will attempt this project this weekend, thanks again

I guess it's hard to find. On the following link, page down to this paragraph. It also has a phoyo and a link to "tilt".

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm

At 63″, the FM dipole supplied with the XDR-F1HD is rather long. Mounted in the clear about 6′ above the floor, resonance occurred below the FM band at 85 MHz. Reducing the effective length with a piece of string as shown optimizes the response for 88–92 MHz. Tie the string so that the horizontal wires are 3″ above the mounting hole. This configuration reduces mismatch loss 0.3 dB at 88 MHz, 1.4 dB at 90 MHz, and 2.0 dB at 92 MHz. To cover 88–108 MHz, use a folded dipole instead. Tilt the antenna to maximize signal strength.

Back