Tubes & guitar amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hello all -- My son has a tubed guitar amp. Apparently after 3 months - he blew the tubes. There are 4 of them. Is there a way to determine which ones are dead? Anyone know of a nice tube for an amp - and how I might determine if that tube is something that would 'fit' the amp? thx. tim

Valve Guitar Amp

Hi what amp is it?
is it a Mono amp?
I think from memory stereo amps normally have four valves 2 per channel. 2 for the preamp stage and 2 for the power amp section. When they go they normally go white and powdery inside. Do they sound like a filament is rattling around inside? also does the amp power up?

It's worth remembering a shut down procedure valves are quite delicate and you should wait for the valves to cool down before moving the amp about 5 minutes. Some amps have 2 switches, first switch turns the mains on and powers up the transformer and the second switch activates the valves.

I use Watford valves for my gear (and hifi) you could ring or email them and they could probably diagnose it for you.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/

cheers Matt. :rocker:

thanks for the reply matt -- It is a line6 amp. They make 1 amp with tubes that I know of... Yes, there are 4 tubes. The guys at guitar center say we should 'just replace all of them'. But, I'm not sure if they are giving me a line or not. The amp itself cost about 850 - and to get the 'better' tubes that last longer - they recommend the $60 X 4 tubes. I don't know -- I have to talk to my son to see what is up with it. But, once I get it - I'll take a look. This amp has a standby mode - which I believe it goes into first prior to shutdown etc.... They claim the stock tubes will go every 2-3 months...which is not something my jobless 15 year old son had counted on. The 'better' ones supposedly last 6 months - which still seems to be a bit ridiculous... My brother had an old tubed amp back in the 60's - and it NEVER blew a tube.... so is this typical of tube amps today - that they blow tubes every 3-6 months? He plays it - but, maybe 3 times a week @ 2hrs/time at most. He has another amp (marshall half stack) that he uses as well...So, the useage is split between the amps.

"Hello all -- My son has a tubed guitar amp. Apparently after 3 months - he blew the tubes. There are 4 of them. Is there a way to determine which ones are dead? Anyone know of a nice tube for an amp - and how I might determine if that tube is something that would 'fit' the amp? thx. tim "

Fault finding,

If the valves are paired you could alternate/swap them around.
Check all fuses.
look out / listen out for any relays switching or not.
If you open up the amp look for any scorched components / or scorched board.
Check soilder joints "they should be shiny" dry joints will be dull.
Make sure any removable components are in home, might be a good idea to remove in and out a few times, so you know you have a good mating connection.

"They claim the stock tubes will go every 2-3 months":eek:
and as for replacing valves every 3 months what a load rubbish! i have a marshall JMP1 valve pre amp from 1990 still going strong! never changed the valves once any way good luck.
Matt.

Ok - another question.... what does 'biasing' the tubes mean... Is this something that can be done at home? Apparently, it looks like 1 of his 2 power tubes was blown...... Could I just replace the 1 tube - and walk away from it... They are suggesting to just replace all of them (they probably have 50 hrs of play on them).... thx. tim.

Thanks Buddy!!! - I'll go check it out... tim.

Tim,

I have a Marshall JCM600 (602 model w/ the dual 12" speakers) and I have only had to replace my power tubes ONCE in nearly 10 YEARS!! It does not get moved around though and I don't play at ear splitting volumes either. I ALWAYS power it up first with the standby OFF (or would that actually be ON???) so that no sound comes out. Then once the tubes have had a few minutes to warm up I switch on the standby switch and do all the playing I want. Then I hit the standby switch again and let the mains have time to normalize (from a temp perspective) for a minute or two or three, then turn off the main power. The only time the tubes blew was when a kid was taking care of my dogs while I was on vacation and I came home to see that my amp was ON! I was NOT amused and needless to say that boy never entered my house again.

Hope you get it all worked out.

James

Thanks guys ... I'm going to send this thread to my son.....

Back