Tubes Are Better Because...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any blown transistors.......period.

.......but then I am using a Canadian amplifier!

I don't think I've had any blown transistors ever and only a few blown tubes in the past ten years.

QC on modern tubes isn't what it used to be...

Awww Tom, you know it's because I haven't got any real friends... and it's you I love. I spend all day posting just hoping for a reply from you...

Then when you do, you haven't even got the heart to call me Justin. Boo hoo...

:D

I hate to break your heart User211 but Tom is already taken!:(

I don't think I've had any blown transistors ever and only a few blown tubes in the past ten years.

QC on modern tubes isn't what it used to be...

QC certainly varies between the companies but I think the greater challenge is that some of the materials that made tubes works so well are not available today due to imposed environmental restrictions.

Last edited:
Awww Tom, you know it's because I haven't got any real friends... and it's you I love. I spend all day posting just hoping for a reply from you...

I think that their is truth in every joke lol

I think that their is truth in every joke lol

Alas, no, not in this case. Tom doesn't like tubes. He's solid state through and through. He's not for me after all...:)

Oh BTW, Tom - well done for tolerating the humour without a backlash or a ban!:)

Tubes are literally not cool!

First, it's way too hot here during Sacramento summers already.

The cost of the extra A/C cooling is expensive. On top of all this, all of the A/C'd air blowing around the listening room adds to the background noise and disrupts the sound field in front of my MLs (true statement).

Just kidding about tubes (not the A/C, though).....My Krell amp actually contributes more to the heat load in my listening room than my ARC amp!

Best,

Rick

All this talk of love and touching wood is getting me a little flustered....

I hear Austin Powers' voice in my head saying, "Yeaaaah Baby.. Do I make you horny? Yeaaaah!"

ROFL.

Tubes.... Hmmm.. you know I just have never had the pleasure to hear a valve amp driving MLs, but I don't like the idea of having to replace tubes down the road. Of course, they DO look cool, all glowing and whatnot...

Notice I used the term "valve amp" - just for you, Justin. Ha! See, I used your name also. Hope your heart is all aflutter...

Interesting to note that recently here in CA, Pacific Gas & Electric has given their customers the ability to view their energy usage online, broken down by the hour. Kerry, being the energy nazi in the house, has made several comments that when we're watching TV or I'm listening to music, the energy usage is much higher, and he can actually tell that my system is using that energy... Grrr.. This has lead to some interesting discussions and I wonder how he'd react to a couple of valve amps warming the room, glowing, etc...

I could hear him now.. LOL!

Last edited:
Interesting to note that recently here in CA, Pacific Gas & Electric has given their customers the ability to view their energy usage online, broken down by the hour. Kerry, being the energy nazi in the house, has made several comments that when we're watching TV or I'm listening to music, the energy usage is much higher, and he can actually tell that my system is using that energy... I could hear him now.. LOL!

Keep up the good work Tom - You're creating jobs!!

I'm guessing Kerry wouldn't like this one........prototype power supply for my new amplifier. 1600 volts @ 550 mA from a pair of 3B28 Xenon rectifiers. Yes, it takes two people to move it....

Attachments

• Hybrid_Supply1.jpg.JPG
    Hybrid_Supply1.jpg.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 120
Which feeds this......Eimac 304TL's running PP class A. Two of these tubes gets almost 300 audio watts, but the dissipated heat is unbelievable. All of this makes one channel , multiply by two and you're really boiling off some electrons...

Tubes are cool..........

Tj

Attachments

• 304s_2.jpg
    304s_2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 205
Which feeds this......Eimac 304TL's running PP class A. Two of these tubes gets almost 300 audio watts, but the dissipated heat is unbelievable. All of this makes one channel , multiply by two and you're really boiling off some electrons...

Tubes are cool..........

Tj

That does look a bit scary!

Interesting to note that recently here in CA, Pacific Gas & Electric has given their customers the ability to view their energy usage online, broken down by the hour. Kerry, being the energy nazi in the house, has made several comments that when we're watching TV or I'm listening to music, the energy usage is much higher, and he can actually tell that my system is using that energy... Grrr.. This has lead to some interesting discussions and I wonder how he'd react to a couple of valve amps warming the room, glowing, etc...

I could hear him now.. LOL!

So, do you stop living, so you don't use any electricity?

Wow, that's harsh...

Tubes are cool..........

Tj

Now that really is cool. Definately post the finished result...

Awesome tubes.:rocker::eek::devil::cool:;)

That's the second iteration of a 304TL circuit I penned up several years back. The first attempt used cathode bias with no NFB and a transformer-based input stage; common design procedure in Japan amongst the DHT crowd. Sounded great, but difficult circuit requires better parts.

New amp will be transformer coupled with Emissions Labs input stage. Output transformers were custom wound by Electra-Print specifically for use with electrostatic speakers.....amp has a single 4-ohm speaker tap and the transformer is wound so lower impedances wont affect the primary plate load. Bad news is the amplifiers wont work with non-ESL designs...........;)

I'm anxious to get working on this again, especially after hocking some expensive gear to fund the build. Should be a pretty good amp, will post progress....

Tj

Tubes rule because:

The citizens of the CZ republic need good jobs...

Chicks dig the iridescent glow...

I love the feel of cotton...

you can listen to Simon and garfunkle while you cook a bratwurst...

and oh yeah... Chicks dig the iridscent glow:guiness:

Tubes would be a lot more fun if there were still great tubes at reasonable prices...

That's why I'm not so keen on them any more. Anyone priced a quad of good EL-34's lately? About a thousand bucks! If you can find em. Same for KT-88's/6550's. And they don't last that long.

Good 12AX7's are 350. Ugh.

Back