Tube top and solid bottom.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmike

Reaction score
My question is how do you balance the output from panels to woofers when biamping and using two different amps. Right now I have an Adcom gfa 5500 for the panels and the 3 channel 5503 for woofers and center. The sound is balanced and biamping was an improvement, but I really would like to upgrade. I am considering using tubes on top and keep the 5503 for on the bottom for now, but I may go solid state on top if the deal seems right. I would also consider using a good 5 channel amp such as classe just to keep everything in balance. 2 channel is definately priority and I really want to keep solid state on the woofers.

My budget for 2 channel amp would be around $1500 used and maybe $2500 for 5 channel. As I write this it sounds like I am leaning toward solid state but tubes sound like so much fun!

System is Aeon i, Cinema i, Mirage cheapo surrounds (hey, they sound good), Marantz dv8400 universal disk player, Modwright swl 9.0 pre, Adcom gfa 5500 and 5503 power, Harmon Kardon avr 7200, Audioquest sidewinder interconnects and Audioquest cv-4 speaker wire.

Last edited:
Biamp with tubes and ss

I am doing this, the trick is that my ss amp a Bryston 4Bp has gain controls which allow me to match the output to my Quad amps.

The best way would to be have a high quality external x-over but they can be very expensive. Second best is to have gain controls on the amp to match levels.

The best way would to be have a high quality external x-over but they can be very expensive. Second best is to have gain controls on the amp to match levels.

Don't most amps have this? My Rotel 1090 has a little hole where you put a VERY SMALL screw driver to change it. I don't think my 1095 has that option though...

Don't most amps have this? My Rotel 1090 has a little hole where you put a VERY SMALL screw driver to change it. I don't think my 1095 has that option though...

My Adcom does not appear to have this feature. It also seems that most amps in my price range such as classe and krell do not from what I can tell on their web sites. I am curious as to what tube amps have gain control.

My Adcom does not appear to have this feature. It also seems that most amps in my price range such as classe and krell do not from what I can tell on their web sites. I am curious as to what tube amps have gain control.

My TAD-1000's 100 wpc, $2500/pr have a gain control as does the McIntosh MC-275 (unbalanced input only) 75 wpc/150watts bridged, circa $4000.00

mrmike,
I dug up a few threads/posts discussing this subject of bi-amping and level-balancing between amplifiers...

Thanks Spike. Great threads. I somehow never find the right thing to search.LOL

Looks like I have several options. A SS amp with a gain adjustment looks like a good place to start. I have heard great things about Brystons. Looks like more thread searching to do, hint hint. Just Kidding.

Hey Spike! Just looked at your system and it is what someday I would like to achieve. I already have the Modwright preamp which is why I am looking at new power. Quite frankly I did not see a much of a difference when a/b testing against my hk avr7200. I know the hk is not even close to the same leauge as the modwright, so it must be something else in the chain, or maybe everything else in the chain:eek: First suspects are the Adcoms.

My question is does your Classe amp have gain control or do your Six Pacs? Man those Six Pacs look cool! I would buy them on looks alone.:rocker:

BTW, Just pulled the trigger on 3 pairs of Nordost blue heaven interconnects.
Will look closer at amps with tax return. Thanks for all of you help. Mike

The Adcom amp is the weak link in your system affecting the sonic gain of the ModWright :(
None of my amplifiers (Classe' or SixPacs) have gain control. I had a high-quality volume control made to go between the ModWright and the Classe' to match gain with the SixPacs. The main goal is to keep the signal path to the panels as clean as possible.

Spike

Back