Tube integrated running hot

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a happy new owner of a pair of Vantages.
I noticed that my tube integrated (Rogue Tempest II) runs hotter than usual (usual = with previous non-electrostat speaker).
Other than that the Vantages sound amazing :D.
Should I be concerned of my amp's heat ? (I can still put my hand on its cover)

Thanks !

Axel said:
Hi all,

I'm a happy new owner of a pair of Vantages.
I noticed that my tube integrated (Rogue Tempest II) runs hotter than usual (usual = with previous non-electrostat speaker).
Other than that the Vantages sound amazing :D.

Thanks !

Hi,
My guess is that you are enjoying the new speakers, and are listening to them louder than the old ones. More power = more heat. If you can keep your hand on the case, I wouldn't be concerned about the heat. I had an old tube amp that discolored the case paint above the output tubes it got so hot, but it always worked just fine.

Peter

man you bought a tube amp. I've heard that if you have a tube amp you dont need a heater or radiator. Its also possible that the 4 ohm impeadence is lower that your previous speakers so the amp is driving a larger load, thus getting hotter. Enjoy the vantage, Theyre Great!

If you can still put your hand on its cover then its not really that hot. However, you may want to check with the amps manufacturer to be on the safe side.

Hola Axel...IMHO your tube amp will be as hot as it is now with any kind of load of speakers...the xformer handles all the load, no matter the impedance. If your amp is runing too hot, then re-check the tube´s bias, and drop the bias -5 mA. Usually all output tube´s bias are in the number around -35mA to 40mA, it is a typical bias, and will not harm them to drop those -5mA, unless you are playing the music too loud. I am another tube user, and I had dropped this -5mA with no problem, because I don´t play the music too loud. Also I had extended the life of my output tubes with these kind of setting. If you drop the bias too much, then distortion and tube´s imbalance will be showing up. I don´t hear any distortion in my amp, even if I play the music loud. Hope this can help. Trust your ears, and happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Axel...IMHO your tube amp will be as hot as it is now with any kind of load of speakers...the xformer handles all the load, no matter the impedance. If your amp is runing too hot, then re-check the tube´s bias, and drop the bias -5 mA. Usually all output tube´s bias are in the number around -35mA to 40mA, it is a typical bias, and will not harm them to drop those -5mA, unless you are playing the music too loud. I am another tube user, and I had dropped this -5mA with no problem, because I don´t play the music too loud. Also I had extended the life of my output tubes with these kind of setting. If you drop the bias too much, then distortion and tube´s imbalance will be showing up. I don´t hear any distortion in my amp, even if I play the music loud. Hope this can help. Trust your ears, and happy listening,
Roberto.
Roberto is right, I would check the bias to see if there is any drift.

FWIW - I used to have the Rogue Audio MA-120 monoblocks in my system, but they tended to elevate the temperature of the entire room and I had a great opportunity to get ahold of my current amp (BAT VK-6200) for a great price. Mark O'Brien at Rogue told me he voiced his amps on Martin Logan ReQuests, so there is a very good synergy. If you have any serious concerns call Rogue and ask them directly. Chances are Mark will be the person answering the phone.

Happy Listening.

While I'm no tube guru, wouln't one reason any amp would run hotter with ML's be because they sink more current?

The more current you flow, the hotter the amp will get, right?

I would be checking with the amp's manufacturer or at least the store in which you bought it. Amps are designed to run at different temperatures, so it is too hard to call if you have a probelm or not.

Otherwise, enjoy the Vantages!

Thanks all for your advice and assistance.
I mailed Mark from Rogue (I must mention that his response is always super quick), he said that this shouldn't be of any concern to me, either:
1) The MLs are pushing the Rogue harder - which is understandable due to their dip at high frequencies.
2) I'm listening at higher SPLs than usual (which I'm not...).

I must say that the Rogue's synergy with the MLs is magnificent.

Back