Trouble deciding: Threshold vs McCormack vs Conrad Johnson

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapper75

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here at MLC, and an audio newbie to boot, so please be gentle :D

I recently purchased a pair of Aerius i's and have now embarked on the task of finding an amp within my budget sufficiently suited to drive them. The 'recommended amplifier power' is 80 - 200 watts per channel. Impedence levels are as follows: Nominal 4 Ohms; Minimum: 1.7 Ohms @ 20 kHz. I'd like to go with something solid state at this time (may try tubes down the road). I have narrowed my selection down to 3 amps and would like to solicit opinions from those of you familiar with one or more of these amps. The amps on my shortlist are:
Threshold S/300 series ii;
McCormack DNA 1 Deluxe; and
Conrad Johnson MF200

Unfortunately, I will not be able to audition any of these before purchase. So I will have to make my decision based on specifications and whatever I am able to learn from those more experienced than I.

I have read up on each of the aforementioned manufacturers, and each are generally highly regarded. Nelson Pass and Steve McCormack are also highly respected designers which makes the decision even tougher (Steve having been involved with Conrad Johnson before starting the McCormack company).

My room is small, measuring approximately 12 feet by 12 feet. I also own a Rel Strata 3 subwoofer. I listen to all types of music, but mostly jazz, folk, acoustic rock and classic rock. Am especially enjoying female vocals quite a bit these days.

Any comments or feedback you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike (aka Slapper 75)

All three are great amps and I'm a huge CJ fan. Having said that I would go with the Threshold 300. It is Class A to 30 watts and then changes over to A-B. The Extra power is a good thing. Second with 200 watts under the belt I would go with the CJ. Never listened to a McCormack DNA so I have no comment here.

The Threshold and CJ are gettting old in the tooth and may need the caps changed at some point.

Don't know if this helps or hurts but Steve McCormack has started a new company SMc Audio. He does upgrades for almost all of the McCormack brand amps and pre-amps. So at least if you went with the McCormack you have an upgrade path and you can take an older great design and make it greater.....faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.....a Super amp if you will.

In addition his pre-amps seem to compete several levels up from their cost point which is also a good thing. And they can be had for a lot less on Audiogon.

I have Steve upgrading my McCormack MAP-1 preamp which so far is one of the best multi-channel pre-amps I have heard, at least for my warped sense of multi-channelness.

If you haven't heard the MAP-1, it has 2 channel, phono stage built in, two 5.1 surround sound circuits and to top it off you can turn any 2 channel source into a 5.1 surround source thru Steve's ARM circuit. Pretty slick, it is kind of like stereo on steroids but without the cops involved.:D

I once took in a CJ MF-200 for a couple of weeks to audition at home and thought it was the most musical amp I've heard on my SL3's, even more so than the AES Sixpac tube amps I currently have. It played every type of music I had wonderfully EXCEPT rock music. That was the deal breaker with me as I am a hardcore rock and roll lover. If you don't like rock music, then I can highly recommend this amp.

I also demoed a McCormack DNA2 with some SL3's a dealer had, which is similar to the DNA1, and thought is was a great amp as well.

Don't think you could go wrong with either one. Hope this helps!

Rich

I presently power my Aeon I's (which are relitively close to the Aerius in power demand) with a Conrad Johnson CA-200:185 w @ 8 ohm

I am extremly happy to say the least, clean very musical sound. It is an integrated amp though.

Find yourself a nice Threshold 400A....

100wpc class A and sounds AWESOME with a pair of Aerius!
Used to have that combination many years ago.

I love CJ, but forget the MF2500. Pretty grainy, worst SS amps
they probably ever made.

Back