Time to Upgrade?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Farley's voice" For the love of GOD give me some fricken dimensions " ..........

Listen to them . Your room will be the biggest player on any speaker you pick .

This thread has helped me and I thank the members who have taken their time and post their thoughts.

Prior to creating this thread I was wanting Prodigy, but had accepted that a near-term speaker upgrade would be Odyssey. $$$ are the only reason for this choice, all others are rationalizations.

Have heard the Ascent and Prodigy. I really liked the Prodigy, the Ascent didn't do anything for me with regard to replacing the Sequel II.

Better sound is what I want to achieve, which for me means hearing more of the music. I'm pretty sure the Odyssey will do this based on listening to the Prodigy and what others have told me.

On the third path, which to be honest is the most likely to occur, I would replace the Sequels' capacitors because of something I read regarding capacitors, time, increased resistance, and impact on sound. Call it curiosity.

My gut problem with new MLs is that they slant while all other panel speakers I know of don't. ML probably has an explanation. I'll be ready for it in a few years, which is why the Summit/Vantage choice falls on the third path.

Last edited:
The newer models slant back in order to gain more vertical dispersion. Some of us have noted significant improvement when the speakers are tilted forward so the panels are almost vertical. At our ML visit last year we discussed that with them, and they apparently took note, as the NEWEST Purity and Source have bases that allow either full vertical or backward tilt.

ML Club member JTWrace has designed and manufactured longer rear spikes for the Summit, which allow more vertical panel placement. I'm not sure if any Vantage or Vista owners are doing the same.

I am in the side of face forward . Get that panel straight up or even facing down a bit so it throws the sound waves at your chair not over your head. My Quest are really tilted forward. It almost looks like they may tip forward. But the image is at my seat not 12 inches above my head. Then again having lowered them a bit it makes them more stable .

While tilting the speaker may be an easy, stylish and free way to achieve more vertical dispersion, wouldn't tilting screw with having a time aligned speaker?

Last edited:
While tilting the speaker may be an easy, stylish and free way to achieve more vertical dispersion, wouldn't tilting screw with having a time aligned speaker?

Only in the case of a speaker like the Vandersteen or the old Spica TC-50 where the driver alignment is to compensate for the different acoustical distance to the center of each driver. In the case of an ML the acoustical centers don't move in regards to the rake of the speaker.

I can definitely state that the Clarity's sound better with the panels set as vertically as possible. Mine are set to be exactly 90° to the floor. What I did notice is that each speaker needs to be identically set or the sound suffers, specifically the soundstage.

Back