Thoughts on the Quad 2905?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

I tell ya, the newer 2905 has enough dynamic headroom to be well within most audiophiles' acceptable range for 2 channel listening. It's a great speaker.

Another option is to see a couple of live shows every week to put the "perfect" system in perspective.

Essential! Couldn't agree with this statement more. Recorded music - no matter how well done - is a completely different thing to live music.

Came from Quads myself; the 63 got me hooked on stats. However, I wouldn't make up my mind about the new Quads until I hear the CLX.

Came from Quads myself; the 63 got me hooked on stats. However, I wouldn't make up my mind about the new Quads until I hear the CLX.
That is one of the reasons I forgot when posting before - we had hoped the CLX would be an updated CLS but the price range it is playing in is well beyond us. The Quad 2905 list price is AUS$ 14,000. The Clx price of $30000 US may well translate to $40 - 45000 AUS and probably worse.

Kevin

The Monolith/Quad showdown should happen in the next few weeks.

Kevin

Maybe Joey can satisfy his curiousity and do the Summit/Quad comparison. We both run Plinius amps so we may have some comparisons with a bit of commonality.

Kevin

Maybe Joey can satisfy his curiousity and do the Summit/Quad comparison. We both run Plinius amps so we may have some comparisons with a bit of commonality.

Kevin

That's not outside the realm of possibility. However, I would end up taking a loss if I didn't end up liking the Quads because the dealer would be out of state.

Tough to swallow that large of a loss... :eek:.

Best thing to do is to lug the Summits to the dealer - and even that is rather tough! This is the worst thing about our hobby, decisively a/b-ing two items is a tough chore.

You're our best hope, Kevin!

In which case the perspective is not to bother! Reproduced music has never "fooled" me into believing it was live. I have found that the best systems might have the proper instrumental timbres and tonal balances, which in my experience the Quads do extremely well, but they invariably fall short in dynamic shading and ambience retrieval. I've yet to hear the imaging of an audio system replicate the imaging of an orchestra in real-life, though smaller scale groups compare quite nicely. After a recent trip to Disney Hall (An all Bach Program) my wife commented that no matter how good the system sounds, there is an ineffable quality to live sound that systems just can't match, and trust me, she's no audiowife.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make - thanks for stating it clearly. Some folks who are fortunate to attend a few live shows or concerts a week have a different perspective. They realize that no matter how good a system is, it is no match for live music. When one owns the Magnepan 20.1, the Quads, or the Summit, one already owns as good as it can get system. This system may do a little bit better here or there. However, it is never the same as getting out to hear the real thing.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make - thanks for stating it clearly. Some folks who are fortunate to attend a few live shows or concerts a week have a different perspective. They realize that no matter how good a system is, it is no match for live music. When one owns the Magnepan 20.1, the Quads, or the Summit, one already owns as good as it can get system. This system may do a little bit better here or there. However, it is never the same as getting out to hear the real thing.

Remember that we only play a very small part to the whole process. All we really have control over is the playback - the recording is a WHOLE 'nother story.

Now, while I agree with you with regards to the futility of replicating the real event - I will disagree with you in terms of stating that the Summits, 20.1, Quads is a system that is as good as it gets.

However, it is never the same as getting out to hear the real thing.
Have you noticed that when you hear the real thing you never think in terms of imaging or soundstaging, etc ? I tend to not even think that I could never get this at home; it's only when I get home that I realize what is lacking.

Have you noticed that when you hear the real thing you never think in terms of imaging or soundstaging, etc ? I tend to not even think that I could never get this at home; it's only when I get home that I realize what is lacking.

Partially because you see them and you don't have to try to conceptualize where the musicians are on the stage and because you have no reference point to which to compare said real event to (since it is technically its own reference).

Partially because you see them and you don't have to try to conceptualize where the musicians are on the stage and because you have no reference point to which to compare said real event to (since it is technically its own reference).
Actually my point was that you forget all audiofool terms and just enjoy the music.

Actually my point was that you forget all audiofool terms and just enjoy the music.

I agree. The reason why you (or all audiophiles) can enjoy it without having to worry about all the audiphool terms is because there is nothing in the presentation that is reproduced. The reason why we waste time with audio terms is because when we listen to our system, we are constantly evaluating our rig.

You can't evaluate an actual event based on sonic characteristics (provide it is unamped), though you can evaluate the performance.

The reason why we waste time with audio terms is because when we listen to our system, we are constantly evaluating our rig.
I find that even with reproduced music I can forget about evaluating the rig and just enjoy the music; that is what it's all about, after all.

I find that even with reproduced music I can forget about evaluating the rig and just enjoy the music; that is what it's all about, after all.

Bernard,

Good point. The reason I brought up live music is to try to shift perspective -no matter how many thousands of dollars people spend on systems, it's not the real thing. It is easier said than done, of course. Please see my thread on Maximzers and Satisficers.

Essential. I try to do this most of the time. Some of my most enjoyable and musical listening sessions have been on very non-audiophile equipment!

Back