Thoughts on the Quad 2905?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Fellas,

Thoughts on the 2905? I read reviews, looks like they say that this is more like a "point source" speaker rather than a line source speaker that our MLs are famous for.

I know usable bass extends only to 40hz, but it's a single panel that creates the entire spectrum. I've experienced the 2805, but perhaps it wasn't in the best of conditions.

Any other experiences/opinions/thoughts?

Fellas,

Thoughts on the 2905? I read reviews, looks like they say that this is more like a "point source" speaker rather than a line source speaker that our MLs are famous for.

I know usable bass extends only to 40hz, but it's a single panel that creates the entire spectrum. I've experienced the 2805, but perhaps it wasn't in the best of conditions.

I've heard them and a bunch of Quads and have NEVER been impressed. I really don't understand what people hear with them. But, it's all a matter of taste...or hearing.

I listened to these last year. They had them hooked up to the top of the line CJ gear (tube pre-amp and amp) and I thought it sounded very nice.

Did it blow my mind? No - but I think some time spent on speaker positioning would have helped a lot.

I was impressed with the low freq. extension since these speakers have no woofer (they are a full panel).

I doubt they are better than your Summits.

no where near as dynamic, but an awfully nice midrange. They won't play very loud either, though the new models do much better than past models...

It sounds to me like Joey is getting itchy for a change, considering the questions he's been asking about speakers other than MLs. Joey, the only way to cure the itch is to scratch it.....but you will be back ! :D

Not sure if I'm itching for a change, my system's been down for almost 2 weeks now.... kinda sad and lonely here in the windy city.

I'm just trying to see where the next step is, IF there is one to be made.

I've heard the 2805, I thought their biggest shortcoming was the fact that they couldn't go so loud, but I don't think they were unable to provide life-size dynamics without having to go overboard. The midrange is the one thing I'm looking for - if it can best the Summits.

Seems like everyone agrees that the less a hybrid a speaker, the better it is (ala CLX). It would only be right to consider the 2905 I suppose...

*scratching*

I had the pleasure of hearing a set of these a few weeks ago. Very nice speakers.... Their midrange is on par with any CLS that I've ever heard. But I found the aesthetics underwhelming and output level leaving me wanting...

Expensive too....

~VDR

I had the pleasure of hearing a set of these a few weeks ago. Very nice speakers.... Their midrange is on par with any CLS that I've ever heard. But I found the aesthetics underwhelming and output level leaving me wanting...

Expensive too....

~VDR

I disagree as to that set up. They do have potential but the Room held them back. Did they have that ease and openness as the CLS NO ! The Summit would crush them IMHO! That being said I will go listen to them set up at their real location for a real evaluation.

I've been keeping an eye out for a 2905 to pop up in Chicago, but no good so far. If one pops up, I'd definitely like to take it home in my own listening environment and see how it compares with the Summits.

No doubt the bass impact of the Summits is going to trounce it, but I wonder if it is more - er, coherent.

Jason -
MBL.. I need financial backing for those. :p

I listened to them this past Winter @ Overture. Driven by Spectral electronics, my feelings mirror those of Erik's and Jeff's. The intial releases were of somewhat shody construction, cheap 'pot metal' used for the binding posts, easily broke !

I haven't heard the 2905, but all Quads I've heard, I've been a little disappointed. You can definitely tell they're electrostatics, but something is missing - maybe Jeff has got it nailed in that they're not as dynamic. Whatever it is, they've left me wanting. NOT like ML!

I'm off to do a serious audition tomorrow pm of the Quads... let's see what they're made of.

Ok - maybe I've been sleeping, but how do these MBLs work? They look so avantgarde and unusual, but I've no idea on what principle they work?
From the depths of my memory of a TAS review, they are squeezeboxes ;). Simplistically, the audio signal squeezes the top and bottom assemblies, making the vertical elements move, producing sound.

I'm off to do a serious audition tomorrow pm of the Quads... let's see what they're made of.
Are you going to be able to compare them with the Summits?

BTW Joey, an Eames chair would be cheaper than Quads :devil:

I disagree as to that set up. They do have potential but the Room held them back. Did they have that ease and openness as the CLS NO ! The Summit would crush them IMHO! That being said I will go listen to them set up at their real location for a real evaluation.

Well, I certainly won't argue the point with someone who owns a pair of CLS, as you hear those everyday. But for the record, the Quads were the best sounding speakers at the Audio Karma show despite the room issues. There was a pair of red trimmed Ushers and a small set of MBLs that sounded nice too

~VDR

Fellas,

Joey - listen to the Maggie 20.1s... if you get a chance - and tell me what you think... I had an opportunity to hear them in 1 place - and the summits about 20 minutes later in another.

Back