Thoughts on North Carolina

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Hi all
Been busy with work and an amp I'm going to sell ( check out the DIY section ) so not too much time to write.
Since my mom passed on last August, I've been seriously considering moving out of state to: a. find an affordable place to live and b. live in an area I like. Friends of mine are moving to N.C. in the next couple of years, and I've always had an interest in the area anyway. So for any members out there who either live there or have spent some time there, I'd enjoy reading your advice and anecdotes.

So for any members out there who either live there or have spent some time there, I'd enjoy reading your advice and anecdotes.
I'm a native. I grew up in Asheville in the mountains and live in the Research Triangle area in the central part of the state (Raleigh). What do you want to know?

That humid climate can be hot with sweat dripping off you or cold chill right through you.
I live in Florida and don't like the cold of winter (snow, rain, freezing rain) in N.C.
I spend time in N.C. for work (Raleigh) and do like the area. Mountains and water are close by. A lot of activities and music. The people there are very friendly and polite.
If you have not spent time there go check it out.

I lived in Winston-Salem, NC for almost 2 years. It was a very nice place.
But as other have said, the seasonal swings are substantial, so you really need to be prepared for that. At least the winters are shorter than in say, Ohio, but still, it gets dang cold.
Cost of living is very reasonable and there is still plenty undeveloped land there.
Areas like RTP or chapel-hill are very nice, as they mix high-tech industry with college-town type amenities and atmosphere.
Definitely worth checking out.

have u ever lived in a humid climate???

By humid do you mean, like, where you get dressed, step outside and are completely and totally drenched and soaked with sweat in 30 minutes?

Nope never been there!

You?

Phoenix, on the other hand is a dry heat. Just preheat your oven to 350 degF and stick your head in...yep it's just like that. No sweat! Phoenix rain...it evaporates before it hits the ground.

I hear the RTP area has some of the best medical facilities available.

And there is an AWESOME restaurant in Durham - called "Magnolia Grill".

have u ever lived in a humid climate???
Los Osos on average is 90 - 95% year round. Mildew is the county's official shrub, and termites are the top predator in the area. In the summertime, it can get really really bad; the windows in my house typically have condensation running down the inside of them.

Since you don't mind the humid weather, I think NC will be a good call.. People are super friendly and cost of living is low. I say go for it.

No one mentioned the springtime/summertime allergy season! Possibly the worst on the planet . . . . . . . . . . . .

By humid do you mean, like, where you get dressed, step outside and are completely and totally drenched and soaked with sweat in 30 minutes?

Well, I'm talking Queensland humidity, where you have a shower, step out and immediately feel like you need another shower!

In the peak of Summer, I was running the air con all day while I was at work, just for the 'Logans!

Thanks all for the kind words and replies!
If / when, and probably when, I spend some vacation time in NC, I'll PM any members in the area, if nothing else as a warning!:p At least I might be able to hang around and talk music and MLs!

Random stuff.

The Research Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham) is composed of NC State University, UNC Chapel Hill, and Duke University on the corners, with Research Triangle Park (RTP) in the middle. Needless to say, college basketball is popular here... The Park includes employers like Cisco, IBM, Nortel, Lenovo, EPA, GlaxoSmithKline, and various other tech and biotech firms. In the cities, you have RedHat, SAS Institute, Duke Medical Center, the state government in Raleigh, the Hurricanes NHL team, the Durham Bulls (AAA baseball), a couple of computer games companies, lots of law firms, and random other stuff. The NC Symphony is based out of Raleigh; there are various state museums around including the NC Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and others. The Raleigh/Durham area tends to be in the 88-96F range and humid in the summer, but averages only a few inches of snow in the winter. It's not unusual for it to be in the high/mid-70s in December. Cold weather hits in late January/February. Last average freeze (for planting) is April 15. The metro area is about 1.2 million people. Because it's spread out between a couple of cities, it doesn't seem that big, but early morning traffic into RTP tends to remind you... The area keeps showing up on Best Places to Live/Work lists, Raise a Family, etc. The Town of Cary, somewhat of a suburb of Raleigh with 130K population, consistently ranks near the top of the Safest Cities in America (Over 100K pop). The last rank I remember was Third. Wake County, where Raleigh and Cary are located, has been averaging a 100 people a day moving into the area. This has led to school crowding, with 8000 new students just last year... They can't build fast enough, even including the recent $1Bn school bond issue.

The nearest beach is at Wrightsville/Wilmington, approx. 2 hours away on Interstate 40. I prefer Atlantic Beach/Beaufort which is 3 hours on US 70. The mountains are 3-4 hours, depending on where in particular you are going. There are two reasonably large lakes within 20 minutes of Raleigh, and a large lake on the Virginia border about an hour away. RDU is an international airport, with various flights to Europe.

In the mountains, Asheville has become a small version of San Francisco-east, including most aspects that that description evokes. Summer temps average around 85F, with less humidity than Raleigh, and typically a breeze blowing. Winters can be cold, and do have snow.

Asheville managed to not tear down all of the old buildings downtown, so there is Art Deco architecture from the 20s/30s all over. Asheville is the biggest municipality in the western part of the state, and has a population of around 120K. The National Weather Records office is based there. The biggest university is the liberal arts UNC Asheville, probably around 2500 students. The area has become a very popular place to live and retire, so housing costs there are slightly higher than the Research Triangle area (I really should have bought property up there ten years ago). Andie McDowell and Harry Anderson both live there now. The world's largest private residence (or at least used to be), the Biltmore House (Vanderbilts) is there. It's been used in various movies like Being There with Peter Sellers. The Asheville airport is very lightly used for commercial traffic, with about ten flights a day total.

Last edited:
Still grinnin'!
Hopefully I'll be able to visit later in the year; perhaps in September. I'm really impatient to see the housing market around here rebound so I can get a good price for the house!

Back