This is why I am frustrated with you lot

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to think I wasted five seconds reading the first paragraph and ten seconds to type this ..................

I scanned it for a few seconds. I think the author needs a beer/wine and a serious music session, or he'll pop a blood vessel.

I think the Onion is hysterical, but understand that a lot of people don't get the sarcasm. Frankly, as I was reading this it reminded me of my days when I have to put on my sales hat and listen to people tell me about things they don't know anything about while I smile and shake my head yes. I thought it was brilliant.

The article summarizes what a lot of people on forums think of themselves. There is an interest thread going on on WBF http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17776-Negative-show-report-posts-enough-is-enough that made me think of this article.

This thread later took another turn, where people started discussing why reviewers don't write more negative reviews. One of the viewpoints discussed was that negative reviews are unethical, because some reviewers demand the manufacturer give them the product free, or place it with them for a certain period of time, etc, and if they don't get their way they write a negative review. Extortion.

Last edited:
All my posts are of my opinion.... so if I don't like something - I'm going to say it. I'm not going to be mean about it, but I can't lie.

The WBF thread I linked to, after an ad hominem start, has started providing interesting insights into the mindsets of reviewers and hifi shows

The WBF thread I linked to, after an ad hominem start, has started providing interesting insights into the mindsets of reviewers and hifi shows

That thread has now gone over 42 pages in just a few days. Mostly circular with two sides.

Only post positive because the exhibitor has worked so hard or hey, free speech I'll say what I want.

See I only wasted a few seconds of your time.

Heh true. What fascinates me is how the insiders think that just because they have been doing the same thing incorrectly for years it is somehow justified (though this statement can be applied to many industries)

Heh true. What fascinates me is how the insiders think that just because they have been doing the same thing incorrectly for years it is somehow justified (though this statement can be applied to many industries)

As I understand it the market has changed dramatically over the last 20-30 years.

The middle class HiFi buyer has all but disappeared so the manufacturers have by in large gone upscale to survive and now rely on the top 1-2% by income of the population.

In addition the middle class spends less time listening to music in a dedicated fashion. They don't have the time since they are on average working many more hours a week, and they are usually watching TV or surfing the Internet instead. Music is listened to while driving, exercising and sometimes working.

At this point the manufacturers have to come out with exotic ways to differentiate themselves from the competition and justify their pricing which is now based on a much lower volume of product being sold. This means exotic materials and techniques that may have no impact on the actual sound quality.

At the other end of the spectrum an Ultra HD receiver pushing 7.2 surround sound can be had for about $300.

So the market is shaped like a big "U" with improving mass produced goods available cheaper and cheaper. That means any company that can't mass produce can't compete so they have to go to lower and lower production at higher and higher prices. This causes some very interesting dynamics where a product won't sell well enough unless it is actually above a certain price because no one will take it seriously.

I suspect this has a huge impact on the shows where perception rules and having the most expensive room really matters because someone who has a large wallet just wants to buy the very best no matter the cost.

Last edited:
That thread has now gone over 42 pages in just a few days.

A very good example of the neurosis that often occurs on the WBF forum with equally neurotic moderators. 510 posts to date. :ROFL:

Talk about audio types needing a life. True Oscar, psychotic material.

I have no idea what Peter B. was thinking. How myopic.

Used to post there. Not anymore.

PS: And yes Rich, you are correct. This also applies to the current "uber" priced gear philosophy.

Last edited:
I'm quoting someone from a forum that has absolutely nothing to do with Audio, but I think unfortunately what he says applies to just about any forum about any area of interest.

"I think some people really need to get a life... I mean how serious can you be talking about a hobby?I use to be there and "sucked in" but alas.... I found there are far more important things than a heli hobby which is suppose to be fun, than the politics of the business that makes people MEAN.....I can see some of you over YEARS of this have not learned that and are still being "sucked" into this thing. I feel sorry for you keyboard forum monkeys!Life is far too short to spend your days on a forum beating people up, thinking you have control, and all the BS that I see the same people doing now, that were the same way and doing the same thing 8 years ago....Amazing...."

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for identifying "parallel universes".

Unfortunately, for some, internet forums are their lives.

How sad.

GG

PS: Current count on the WBF thread is 590 posts in five days.

Last edited:
Given that thread is already on it's 60th page, two funny comments were "This thread has done more wandering than Moses' 40 year jaunt in the desert" and "if this now turns into another objectivist vs subjectivist thread, we need to shut it down"

Kedar,

Given the neurosis often shown on that forum and others, no sane person would take it seriously.

They love to talk about the same old regurgitated / recycled vomit time and time again.

Funny? I guess if one likes to study neurotic behavior.

I think it's pitiful.

Best,

Gordon

Back