Thinking of getting ML's. Need advice..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

maxzimum

Hi,

I currently own a pair of Magnepan 1.6's and want to upgrade. I was thinking of getting a pair of new Magnepan 3.6's. I have also been offered a pair of used ML Odyssey's for a lesser price. Since there is no way of getting an in-house demo I need some advice:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the 3.6's vs. the Odysseys?
2. Are the newer range of ML's much better than the older models which includes the Odyssey's? What are the differences?
3. How much improvement can I expect from the Odyssey's vs. my existing 1.6's?

Partering equipment is:
Pioneer (Elite) DV-757ai Disc Player
Pass Labs X1 Preamp
Acoustic Reality EAR1001 Monoblocks (1000W x 4 ohm each)
MIT T2 Speaker Cables
SR Res. Ref. X2 Interconnects

I auditioned the Maggies extensively before I went ML. Mainly the 3.6R but also the 1.6QR and the 20.1. Now the maggies had a nice expansive soundstage and the overall sound was quite well balanced. I nearly bought the 3.6R. Then I auditioned the Vantage before I went back for a further audition of the maggies. What I found was the maggies tended to blare when they were pushed hard. In comparison the Vantages lapped up the spl's and kept asking for more. Also the bass is MUCH tighter with the Vantage and considerably more extended at higher spl's. Despite these reservations, I still liked the maggies, but I thought for a similar price, the Vantage was better.

Now some are comparing the Summit with the 3.6R. That is not a fair comparison for the maggies. You should compare the Summit with the Magna Planar 20.1. In this case too, I felt the Summit was ultimately the better speaker. Even the biggest maggie had a little bit of grain. The Summit by comparision is as clean as a whistle and can go MUCH louder.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you have any experience with the Odysseys? Are they much different from the Vantage and has there been a significant improvement in technologies?

Hi Max,

I have a set of Oddessey's which I have had a little over 1 month now. They really open up a window on the music. Compared to the newer logans, take for instance the Vantage model has its own 200 watt powered woofer and is a little smaller in size than the Oddessey. The Oddessey uses the force forward design in the Oddessey and Prodigy models with one woofer in the front and 1 woofer in the back of the speaker which gives you more even bass throughout your room.

I think the Oddessey would be a great match for your system and you would be more than pleased with the results, and the money savings over buying brand new

Greg

I also auditioned the Maggies before going with the ML Odysseys.I picked up the floor models at a local tweeter for $2,100 a piece back in early 2005.Your 1,000 per channel at 4 ohms will have no problem driving the Odysseys.
I have not auditioned the Vantages or Summits for fear of catching Joeyitis.:D

Max, Good Morning and Welcome, You have pick a tough one given that you can't audition yourself. My feelings pretty much go along with Edwin, I owned Maggie's for twenty years and though I have not critically listened to Odyseys I would say that if they are in great shape it sounds like a good move.

Back