Theater i Blown...What to do Next?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

My brother lost his password on here so he asked me to post this question. He got his system about 1.5-2 years ago. This past weekend, we found out that it is apparently blown. His Vantages are still good. He has a Sunfire amp powering them. The Theater i "sounds" blown. If you play a regular movie, then the sound seems very muffled. When you do a test ping, the speaker sounds blown.

Anyway, what should he do now?? He has 5-year ML warranty on it. Does he take it back to Tweeter where he bought it and let them send it to their service center...OR, does he call ML directly and arrange something????

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

My brother lost his password on here so he asked me to post this question. He got his system about 1.5-2 years ago. This past weekend, we found out that it is apparently blown. His Vantages are still good. He has a Sunfire amp powering them. The Theater i "sounds" blown. If you play a regular movie, then the sound seems very muffled. When you do a test ping, the speaker sounds blow

Anyway, what should he do now?? He has 5-year ML warranty on it. Does he take it back to Tweeter where he bought it and let them send it to their service center...OR, does he call ML directly and arrange something????

Thanks in advance.

Hola Thai. First of all, make sure that the Theater i is plugged to the A.C. Mains. Sometimes, a faulty connection at the speaker's plug makes it to sound muffed. Listen if the stat panel is working. If the panel is not working, check again for a faulty connection from the wall or at the speaker's connector. If you did this, and still has the problem, you can contact direct to ML Service team...and please provide them the serieal number of the Theater i. They will tell you what to do...
Roberto

Thai,

Without knowing all the details of how you "pinged" the center channel, I would suggest the following:

First, plug the speaker into another working channel, left or right and verify it is indeed the speaker and not the pre-amp or amplifier channel that is blown. If the speaker is still "muffled", go back to Tweeter and go through them first, if your warrantee is still in good standing. If not call Martin Logan service.

Sam

Ping is from his Yamaha receiver with the auto-EQ YPAO. The Yamaha is connected to Sunfire. And according to him, the equalizer graph from the Yamaha auto-EQ settings is all over the place for the Theater i, while the Vantages were OK. I do not think that he has changed any wires nor plugs recently. He just noticed this problem this past week...prior to that, it was fine.

Call ML, they will help you out. Jim Powers is the guy to ask for if you get a choice.

THough I think Tweeter should be able to help you out also. Best thing to do is call them and see what they can do for you.

Joey

PS
Good luck!

Send it to me and just buy a new one- I will pay shipping to get it here :D
Nik

How do you know its not the Yamaha Receiver, a cable, power source, power cord, the amp or a source component? Have you tried plugging the Theater Speaker to another channel that you know is working properly such as the left or right channel? Plug another speaker to your center channel output to verify if it is the speaker or a component. Sunfire amps and Theater speakers are pretty reliable, receivers are complex components that are not quite so dependable.

Last edited:
I will need to ask him if he did those tests. Thanks all for the input!

Back