The Weakest Link

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Curious - what do all of you think the weakest link of your system is? Currently, I have a Sunfire Cinema Sig /Sunfire TGIII / Denon 5900 Universal player / AudioQuest Bedrock cables / ML Odysseys / ML Descent. I think mine is probably the source (Denon). However, I have A/B'd it against some fairly nice players (Wadia / & modded Denon 3910 by Alex Peychev) - and although I can say it did not sound as good as these players - I can say I don't think I would be able to tell the difference if I had not A/B'd them.

The sunfire is bi-amped - scary - based on the ratings - that is 1700 watts / channel into 4 ohm.... I run the pre in a source-direct mode with the Denon connected via the analog outs...

What do you think my weakest link is - and what do you think yours is? (Of course this leads to Joey-itis).. One other note - Please don't tell me to sell the whole thing --- I CAN'T afford it!!! :)

Room acoustics, the most commonly overlooked "weak link"... but the hardest to implement with acceptable WAF. Do you have any acoustic treatments?

my listening chair ! but I've got my eyes, back and butt lookin' at these beauties !!

Attachments

• DisplayPhoto.asp.jpg
    DisplayPhoto.asp.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 162
Those Ekornes Stressless recliners are awesome, Dave. I have ordered three of these for my new dedicated listening room / home theater.

For me, and probably for most of us, the weakest link is definitely the room. My current room and setup has very poor acoustics. It still sounds great, but I can always tell that it doesn't sound near as good as it could.

I am remedying that weak link with my new room. I am working with Acoustic Sciences Corp. (ASC) right now to come up with a good acoustical treatment solution for this room. Between quality acoustic treatments, proper setup, and some room equalization technology, I expect my next room will get the most out of my equipment.

ah yes... very good... The room indeed. My room is pretty good --- HOWEVER, I would love to knock down a couple of poles in my basement... Think that would cause any problems???:eek:

Room acoustics, the most commonly overlooked "weak link"... but the hardest to implement with acceptable WAF. Do you have any acoustic treatments?

No I do not Sleepy.... My room is such - that it isn't very 'echoey' and it doesn't 'boom' either. I am in the basement - cement floor w/ carpet. Front wall dry wall - side wall has a painted panel - but does not appear to give reflections. My biggest issue is my 60" tv which sits in the middle of the logans. and my inability to move them more than 6' (inside to inside) apart. I listen to all music in stereo - but-DAMN if it isn't bothersome looking at a center channel. Everything sounds like it is coming from the center channel - and I would rather see nothing there. The speakers are doing their thing - but my brain keeps telling me something else... I hate it!!!

No I do not Sleepy.... My room is such - that it isn't very 'echoey' and it doesn't 'boom' either. I am in the basement - cement floor w/ carpet. Front wall dry wall - side wall has a painted panel - but does not appear to give reflections. My biggest issue is my 60" tv which sits in the middle of the logans. and my inability to move them more than 6' (inside to inside) apart. I listen to all music in stereo - but-DAMN if it isn't bothersome looking at a center channel. Everything sounds like it is coming from the center channel - and I would rather see nothing there. The speakers are doing their thing - but my brain keeps telling me something else... I hate it!!!

I have a similar problem (RPTV and wall unit). I (partially) solved it by buying acoustic wall covering from silentsource.com (comes in various colors) and hang it on my RPTV when listening. Alternatively, you could just throw (or hang) a blanket or rug over the TV (and center speaker). That really helps you focus on the entire soundstage.

See this older thread...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2754&highlight=shade

Last edited:
Room acoustics, the most commonly overlooked "weak link"...

Mine too FOR SURE.

BUT if we are talking gear specifics, I would say my Rotel DVD player and Pioneer 300 disc CD changer. Both are decent, but not GREAT in any way. Very useful and probably better than the room acoustics.

my listening chair ! but I've got my eyes, back and butt lookin' at these beauties !!
So you are looking into real comfy chairs! I had not seen this when I replied in your other thread. Looks like I was preaching to a convert? :)

I think the only one here who would be happy with their room is Rabbit House.... he's a rooms acoustics warrior!

I have a similar problem (RPTV and wall unit). I (partially) solved it by buying acoustic wall covering from silentsource.com (comes in various colors) and hang it on my RPTV when listening. Alternatively, you could just throw (or hang) a blanket or rug over the TV (and center speaker). That really helps you focus on the entire soundstage.

See this older thread...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2754&highlight=shade

Mr. Surf -- I have tried a blanket over the tv... and it seems to really deaden the sound... Not sure if I like it... The Odyssey's rear cabinet is 5' from the front wall - and the panels are 6.5' from the front wall. The tv is back about even with the rear of the Odyssey's woofer cabinet....

On another note: Do you guys know why this was moved off of the main discussion forum? Not that I care all the much - just don't wish to create work!! Seems like I have seen similar posts like this (as there is now)...

On another note: Do you guys know why this was moved off of the main discussion forum? Not that I care all the much - just don't wish to create work!! Seems like I have seen similar posts like this (as there is now)...

Timm,

I think the main discussion forum is supposed to be more specific to Martin Logan speaker discussions. Any other audio/video discussions are supposed to go in the off topic audio/video forum. Not that it is always that clean cut, but I think that is the general idea.

My weakest link might be something I don't own yet: power conditioning. As far as I know, we get quite good quality current here and there are no industries around - it's a residential area with mostly 1-family houses. I also have my gear plugged in a quite expensive filtering multisocket, so I wonder if such a dedicated unit would make sense.

Definitely, my room. Like Rich I had my ASC dealer come to my room, measure, listen and then take the measurements back to ASC for a solution. It is pretty expensive so I am doing it in steps. So far I have floor to ceiling tube traps in the corner behind the speakers. This alone was over 3 grand. By the time I finish it will have cost nearly 20K-as much as my preamp and speakers! But it only needs to be done once.

Like Rich I had my ASC dealer come to my room, measure, listen and then take the measurements back to ASC for a solution. It is pretty expensive so I am doing it in steps. So far I have floor to ceiling tube traps in the corner behind the speakers. This alone was over 3 grand. By the time I finish it will have cost nearly 20K-as much as my preamp and speakers! But it only needs to be done once.
WHOA!!!! $3k was for the corner Tube Traps themselves???? Or did that price also include the measurements they took?

Dan

Timm,
Definetly my source, for now mostly on the digital side. I am using an older Denon DCD-1500 CD palyer with the choice of using the Pioneer DV-05. Either way I have to get to updating that. Funny though, I auditioning amplifiers...what's up with that?

Sam

Back