The Show Newport Beach

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron, I'll be there, but only on Thursday (helping a friend with setup) and Friday, touring about. Sorry we won't be able to meet up. :-(

Ken

Ron, I'll be there, but only on Thursday (helping a friend with setup) and Friday, touring about. Sorry we won't be able to meet up. :-(

Ken

Ken go to the Synergistic Research. They are going to have a great set up. Check out there Synergistic Base. It totally changed the sound of my Mac Mini for the better. They are even having a private demonstration Friday after hours at 6:30 PM. The speakers will be YG acoustics and the room size is 30'X30'

http://www.theshownewport.com/2012/synergistic.html

T.H.E Newport - First Day

Just wanted to say that i attended the first day of T.H.E in Newport today and it was fun indeed. I want to thank Peter Soderberg for the time he spent with me explaining some technical questions i had about the aural differences between my new.y acquired Spires and the just released Montis(hint ... not much he says and my ears agree :rocker:) Also cleared up some placement issues i never understood or knew, such as I can place my Spires as close to the side walls with no panel problems as long as you turn down the bass knob to combat the increase in bass due to wall boundary effects.

My best demos came from Thiel (with their Phase/Time Aligned designs) and the Wisdom Audios planar speakers. What a sound indeed!!! Both sets had very detailed bass, as in you-can-count-the-cycles bass. A phenomenal they said is attributed intial to the wave-launch arriving to your ears at the same time.

The coolest tech was a speaker that seemed to have one tweeter only and no crossovers at all! The mid-range and bass was generated by shaping the speaker as a waveguide of sorts which amplified the lower frequncies which the tweeter couldn't produce at any meaninful levels. Its ferquecy response? 38Hz to 22kHz and it sounded like it! I saw no midrange or woofers at all... amazing indeed!
This years show is big and they have two hotels for demos versus 1 for last year. if you can, please attend and be prepared to be amazed.

Last edited:
I am heading up there today and attending the show tomorrow. Is one day enough to see the whole show? Anything I should not miss?

There sure are, Ron. If you've not heard them, the MBL 111 are set up in a large suite and sound, as always, simply incredible. Just down the hall (2nd floor @ the Hilton) are the Scaenas, which are also not to be missed.

Other stuff worth mentioning: The new "budget" TAD sounded pretty damned good @ $29K, and so did the Magico Q3. I also liked the Thiels, but felt they were a tad less transparent than Magico/TAD.

The Eficions, unfortunately, had a distinct tunnel-y sound, but this may well be a setup issue, and the normally excellent Vandersteen 7's presented with the same effect. Didn't hear the Wilsons.

Always a pleasure chatting with Peter Soderberg and left encouraged by some tantalizing hints about future ML developments.

There sure are, Ron. If you've not heard them, the MBL 111 are set up in a large suite and sound, as always, simply incredible. Just down the hall (2nd floor @ the Hilton) are the Scaenas, which are also not to be missed.

Other stuff worth mentioning: The new "budget" TAD sounded pretty damned good @ $29K, and so did the Magico Q3. I also liked the Thiels, but felt they were a tad less transparent than Magico/TAD.

The Eficions, unfortunately, had a distinct tunnel-y sound, but this may well be a setup issue, and the normally excellent Vandersteen 7's presented with the same effect. Didn't hear the Wilsons.

Always a pleasure chatting with Peter Soderberg and left encouraged by some tantalizing hints about future ML developments.

Hi Ken... any hints as to those hints that PS was hinting about?

My best demos came from Thiel (with their Phase/Time Aligned designs) and the Wilson Audios planar speakers. What a sound indeed!!! Both sets had very detailed bass, as in you-can-count-the-cycles bass. A phenomenal they said is attributed intial to the wave-launch arriving to your ears at the same time.

Really? Wilson have done a planar? Not on their website that I could see. Too new for that?

Ken, did you get a chance to hear the Synergistic Research Tranquility Base. They are suppose to be in the room with the YG Acoustic speakers and Burmeister amps.

Hi Ken... any hints as to those hints that PS was hinting about?
Peter's quite understandably unwilling to reveal anything concrete, Todd, but it's my clear impression that ML remains committed to developing new products which continue to embrace the technologies and characteristics which we owners cherish.

Ken, did you get a chance to hear the Synergistic Research Tranquility Base. They are suppose to be in the room with the YG Acoustic speakers and Burmeister amps.
Unfortunately I didn't, Ron. I was focused on speakers and barely had time to see all the makes/models I was interested in.

BTW, dress cool! Many of the best rooms had the A/C off - often coupled with gigantic tube amps - which made for uncomfortably warm listening.

Ken

What system setup were you assisting with Ken? Curious minds.

What system setup were you assisting with Ken? Curious minds.
Trinnov though, as it turned out, we weren't needed Thursday. Spent plenty of time there, yesterday, watching folks Ooh! and Aah! as he used remapping to rotate the multi-channel soundstage around the room. It's a neat trick, but the price tag on the 8/12/16 channel Trinnovs is pretty hefty.

Maybe he meant Wisdom (instead of Wilson) Justin?

You are quite correct Justin ...I meant Wisdom speakers... In my excitement and very late hour of the night, stuff tends to happen:ROFL: Changed the original post to correct my mistake.

I am heading up there today and attending the show tomorrow. Is one day enough to see the whole show? Anything I should not miss?

Ha! Only if you are prepared with an action plan and arrive early by 9AM at show opening. Remember the show occupies 2 hotels with most demos being for loudspeakers. I skipped the 'hear my new cable' type demos.

I was amused by the 'hear how my new rubber balls clean up CD sound tremendously'. They had 2 pairs STAX headphone and an accelerometer attached to each of the 2 CD players with data being shown on a spectrograph, a frequency versus time graph. One player had the rubber balls and theother didn't. WHat it really showed is that it can dampen floor vibrations very well, as shown in the spectrographs, but as to sound quality between the two identical players, i simply couldn't tell. The vendor admitted the differences are easier to hear if turntables were used as sources or tube-amps as well which are susceptible to microphonics, which in theory is valid.

Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes and oh yes...forget the elevators as they are extremely SSSLLLLLLLLLLLOWWWWW. I and many others took the stairs instead which is decent work out anyways.

Ha! Only if you are prepared with an action plan and arrive early by 9AM at show opening. Remember the show occupies 2 hotels with most demos being for loudspeakers. I skipped the 'hear my new cable' type demos.

I was amused by the 'hear how my new rubber balls clean up CD sound tremendously'. They had 2 pairs STAX headphone and an accelerometer attached to each of the 2 CD players with data being shown on a spectrograph, a frequency versus time graph. One player had the rubber balls and theother didn't. WHat it really showed is that it can dampen floor vibrations very well, as shown in the spectrographs, but as to sound quality between the two identical players, i simply couldn't tell. The vendor admitted the differences are easier to hear if turntables were used as sources or tube-amps as well which are susceptible to microphonics, which in theory is valid.

Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes and oh yes...forget the elevators as they are extremely SSSLLLLLLLLLLLOWWWWW. I and many others took the stairs instead which is decent work out anyways.

I heard no difference with rubber balls either. You should of went into the Synergistic Research room around the corner in the Crystal Ballroom for the demo. They were using the basik and base in quite a few rooms I noticed along with the Synergistic Art. I was lucky enough to spend two days at the show. A lot to see. Did anyone see the Magic Bus at the car show and listen to his audio system. He spent about one million dollars on setting up this system over the years. What a treat. Rick Reus of Reus Systems sent me over to have a listen.

Nothing on the Scaena's? I really liked em in NYC.

Nothing on the Scaena's? I really liked em in NYC.
I did mention them in post #6. The second best speakers at the show, but they're $103K w/o subs. The ~$30K cheaper MBL 101's trounced them, IMO.

Back