The mysterous game of golf

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
The mysterious game of golf

So,

After a 40 year lapse, I've decided to reengage. Played when I was a young-in but gave it up due to inability to focus.

Bought some used Ping G10 irons today, and along with some other donated clubs, I will be terrorizing the ground worms again.

Who on this forum plays?

I'm jazzed. :rocker:

GG

Last edited:
What makes you think you can focus any better now? Just kidding, Gordon. Hope you have fun with it. I have only played about a half dozen times in my life, and could never really get into it. Although I am a mean put-putter. My sport these days is tennis, and I hope I can play that till I'm too old to move. Do you walk the course, or use a cart? Lots of places here won't allow you to walk the course, which is to me the only fun thing about golf.

Gordon, I suspect the views you have on the courses out your way are amazing, that's reason enough to play the game !

Myself I play only for the social aspect of the game anymore, twenty years ago even when I was serious (2-3 times per week) I couldn't do better than a 12-14 hdcp

Rich,

Love tennis also. Unfortunately, finding folks to play with is a challenge.

Cart vs walk? Most courses around here, I think, require carts to keep time play time shorter, read more volume and fees collected.

Will keep you informed.

For me Dave, frequency might be two to three times a month. Will probably have to travel an hour each way to find a course I can afford to play.

Gordon

I've been playing since I was 10. Then I stopped for a while and during a summer while I was in college helped run junior clinics in Florida.

I play in a league once a week. I like the friendly competition, the course, the exercise (I use a cart), and the fellow players. It's my escape for the week.

I also "dabble" in the science of the golf swing. With the newest radar technology, high speed video, motion capture technology, and so on there's just a ton of very interesting information coming out all of the time.

I love the game, and I also think teaching golf is awesome. If I had to do it all over again, I'd consider a career as a teaching professional.

erik

Man I wish I could golf , but a neck injury has kept me on the sidelines for over a year. I don't know what pains me more my neck or having to send my monthly dues check to the club.

Well, I've been thinking of re-engaging a bit with golf, as soon as I can figure out when Golf Season starts...:D

Although, like some others here, I'd just as soon do tennis (been awhile, tho).

UPDATE / LATE BREAKING NEWS

Tried out a set of Ping G10 Irons. Significant lack of synergy. Swapped out cables, amps, preamps. Nothing helped.

Onto a set of Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Irons. I've read they might need some acoustical treatment to perform at optimum. We'll see. :cool:

GG

I started playing again a few years back. Got me some Wilson graphite shafted irons/woods and a Ping G10 driver.

Hadn't played for 20 years but I was Pro trained from the age of 12. TBH I was astounded by those clubs compared to what I used to play with. The Ping driver gave me insane distance.

I've just sold the clubs and seem to be going swimming twice a week instead. Swimming is definately better exercise, less hassle to do for me (course is an hour away like yours), and I save my father-in-law from getting beat all the time:D

This seems like the appropriate place to insert this:

Two women were playing golf. One of them whacked the ball hard, then watched it sail through the air and hit a guy some distance away. He immediately dropped to the ground, and into a the fetal position, holding his crotch. She rushed over, apologized profusely, said she was a nurse, and that she would help. He declined her offer of help, but she insisted, saying she had dealt with cases like this before.

She then gently moved his hands away from his crotch, unzipped his pants, put her hands inside his pants, and massaged gently for 10 minutes, at the end of which she asked him how it felt now. His response: "That felt great, but my thumb is still broken".

Gordon,

I have played golf for many years and it can be addicting. If it is addicting, you have no hope of recovery as golf is the one sport you can play until its fatal:)

If you do get in to it a fun thing to do is to create bucket list of courses that you want to play. Michael Phelps has decided to take a year or so off and play the golf digest top 100 courses. Not that you would do that, but you could pick 20 courses around the country and then plan to play them as part of your travel plans. You can play my course any time you find your self close to Indy. My course has been ranked in the top 100 courses ever since it opened. The only problem with playing Wolf Run is that it is so hard that it is like doing chinese arithmetic with a broken abacus:)

JM,

Thank you so much for the offer.

May take you up on that if I'm in your area.

Best,

Gordon

Back