The Incident

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
A now for something completely different! Well sort of......

With all the contentious posts about the imminent demise of ML, I thought it might be appropriate to post about a positive ML experience with a brand new Porcupine Tree disc that was just released in DVD Audio.

I just got a package yesterday from England. In it was the new Porcupine Tree Disc "The Incident" in DVD Audio 5.1 and 2.0 MLP Lossless as well as 5.1 DTS Surround and 24-bit PCM Stereo.

I had pre-ordered it some time ago and so I am pretty sure I got a copy of the first wave to hit the US.

Now please remember, I am a surround sound addict, so I can only comment on the surround sound but this is a phenomenal disc. Like all of Steve Wilson's projects the 5.1 surround music is well done. But I think this one is an extra cut above.

There is a mixture of both quiet and loud passages that really transports you to another time and place. The surround mix is incredible if you are in to experiencing the music and being immersed in the music, this music moves through you, around you and then sweeps you up and takes you away.

And it is all made possible by my Logans I might add. This really is good fun and reminds me of one of the big reasons why I bought Martin Logan speakers in the first place, enjoying the music. I actually got a great big grin on my face while I was experiencing this album. Man that was fun!

As long as my MLs work and sound like this, I am going to keep them and as Jim Power says, enjoy the music.

If the day comes when they don't work or sound right, I will look for another solution and most likely I will give ML a shot, if the product is up to it.

But I gotta say most likely that day is 10 maybe 20 years off if my past experience with MLs is any indication. And of course with CLXs I guess I am not in a hurry to upgrade. So with that day most likely way off in the distance, surely many things will change between now and then.

I guess I am saying the bottom line is that I would rather enjoy my Martin Logan speakers, than to debate about something that may or may not come to pass. And I don't want to argue the point of what has already happened for the exact reason that it already happened and now we will have to wait to see what happens next. I think I will go listen to some more music and keep my fingers crossed that some good things are still to come from ML.

Like Jim said, many of his friends are counting on it and I for one do not want to count them out yet or root against them for they have already given me many incredible listening experiences with my Logans. And most importantly I stand to have many many more for the foreseeable future.

Oh and for the photography freaks, this album has some very cool photography to go with the music.

Last edited:
Yeah, but ..... Haha. Awesome to hear. Nice to see a post about how great your ml speakers sound !! I am really surprised porcupine tree is still doing DVD-A. I didn't think ANYONE was putting out new DVD-As anymore.

There is a mixture of both quiet and loud passages that really transports you to another time and place. The surround mix is incredible if you are in to experiencing the music and being immersed in the music, this music moves through you, around you and then sweeps you up and takes you away.

And it is all made possible by my Logans I might add. This really is good fun and reminds me of one of the big reasons why I bought Martin Logan speakers in the first place, enjoying the music. I actually got a great big grin on my face while I was experiencing this album. Man that was fun!
thats what its all about for me. rock on my friend.:rocker:

Cool, but I'm more inclined to get it on vinyl, as many of their albums are available in that format. I'll probably order it soon, and in case anyone is curious to hear it...

That's cool Brian, my post was really for the 5.1 crowd, since there is not as much 5.1 surround stuff coming out these days in DVD Audio.:D

This is really a good 5.1 mix and coupled with MLs it really shines as an immersive experience.

As for two-channel, I am sure it sounds pretty good too, but all I am saying is for multi-channel addicts, this one is a keeper.:D

JMAUSGP - I was about to post my review of this awesome disc, but you beat me to it my friend.
Your descriptions are spot on :music:

I also had pre-ordered the DVD-A, and it it arrived mid-week, but I was so busy, I didn't spin it until yesterday evening, when I had uninterrupted time to just sit and listen through the entire thing, lights off and focused.

Boy, first off, Steve Wilson is a freaking genius, both as a musician and as a producer / mixer. This is hands down one of the best albums I have. :bowdown:

First thing I noticed was the Dynamics. I have the CD version, and have spun it many times on my system, but this DVD-A makes the CD sound like an MP3 track. The musical dynamic range on the DVD-A is killer huge. Most pop and rock has a delta of 10 or 20db (at best), this music and recording has 40 or 50db.
Some tracks start softly, and one hears all the detail at low volumes, then POW, the band kicks in full-steam and with all 5 speakers plus monster IB sub hitting you, it's incredible.

Secondly, soundstaging. No one mixes rock in 5.1 as well as Steve does. Period. Especially his own stuff.
Steve takes the full multi-track (which is very layered, as most prog rock is) and very, very judicious moves elements around to create not only enveloping sound, but to enhance the emotive quality of the sound. Whatever the soundfield is doing, it's there to support the music, not produce a 'special effect'.

That said, the effect of being immersed in this highly-layered, complex tapestry is just out of this world when a system and room are well setup.
I cannot pinpoint speakers, the sound just is wherever Steve wanted it to be. Near me, far away, to the front left, 10 feet behind the speaker, or just behind my right ear, this recording and a superb system are just a crazy awesome combo.
This is why I'm into Multichannel, this is why one builds a crazy big center to make it happen.

One of the fun things Steve does to give extra dynamic depth to his recordings is he mixes in noise, such as LP surface noise into the soft parts of some of the tracks. Then he removes it for a dramatic drop into depths of silence (with just a note hanging over the void) before coming back at you with a wall of sound.

Wonder if the LP version can handle that? Would they even notice? :devil:

So besides the great dynamic range, superb sounstaging, this album just has some of the greatest Porcupine Tree music since Stupid Dream.

Highly, Highly recommended if you have a multichannel setup.

Go get the DVD-A at the BurningShed store

large1625.jpg

Last edited:
You hit it right on the head Jonfo, for you other audiofools out there, if you have a multi-channel system you have to get this DVD Audio disc.

But beware it will give you and your Logans a hell of a workout. Steve's use of silence and monster sound moving around, not stattionary, is something to experience.

Very cool, and only reminds me why I listen to Martin Logan speakers, it puts a huge smile on my face and just makes me shake my head in amazement.:rocker:

Back