The Casey verdict and the media

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

Although I haven't followed this event very closely, the little that I did seems to indicate that the media "talking heads" had it all wrong assuming you agree with the jury in this case.

I really do question, regardless of the validity of this verdict, the enormous role media plays in influencing what we believe or don't believe.

This incident, as well as others in recent past (dare I say politics), seems to suggest a media that's more subjective versus objective.

Any comments?

GG

I haven't followed it like crazy...just read stuff here and there way back...and the most recent verdict....

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a child who disappears, and you say nothing for a MONTH, and then the child remains are found. You are guilty of something horrific. Whether you actually did the actual act or not.

As for the media...
Whatever gets more page views. That's what it comes down to.

WOW!!!

Quite a surprising verdict. But the comment about the media is spot-on. I fear that the media too often provides a disservice to the public, and in particular with regard to politics. This in turn leads to "hardening" of positions / beliefs, as witnessed by what we are currently seeing politically.

And, of course, their are those that "spin" (lie) for their own personal gain. The current Karl Rove ad is just the latest example. :devil:

The jury rendered a verdict based on the evidence presented to them. The prosecution failed to remove reasonable doubt.

The media thrives and makes money on sensationalism. That will never change.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a child who disappears, and you say nothing for a MONTH, and then the child remains are found. You are guilty of something horrific. Whether you actually did the actual act or not. .

Agreed, she should at the vary least be spayed !

The media care to sell a good story, and sensationalism as others said, sells. The verdict was as expected to me - when the coroner cannot determine the cause of death and there are no witnesses, there is no basis for "murder" beyond a reasonable doubt, no matter what the circumstantial "evidence" may be, something that's hard for jurors to buy in any case.

My biggest bone of contention is that she was not found guilty of at least child abuse. To evade informing law enforcement about your missing child for over a month is, in the lightest of terms, NEGLECT.

She may well in fact be charged for neglect and anything related to not reporting the child's disappearance. But this case was strictly about the cause of the *child's death* and whether she murdered her - courts see things very black and white (as do I).

Karma is a bitch , I am sure she will find no peace and will eventually end up where she belongs just like her friend in the picture

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 122
Karma is a bitch , I am sure she will find no peace and will eventually end up where she belongs just like her friend in the picture

Ahhhhhh Larry why did you have to drag the 'Bills' into this ! ..... LOL !!

She may well in fact be charged for neglect and anything related to not reporting the child's disappearance. But this case was strictly about the cause of the *child's death* and whether she murdered her - courts see things very black and white (as do I).

Aggravated child abuse was one of the charges she was found not guilty on. I guess the word 'aggravated' implies some type of physical abuse. Usually though, they can still find her guilty of a lesser charge.

The juice is loose!! Hahah! Classic.

I haven't heard much about this case here on the west coast. Might just be that I don't watch local news.

Unfortunately, in this case, it appears one doesn't have the Goldberg family equivalent to press charges in a "civil" venue.

GG

Aggravated child abuse was one of the charges she was found not guilty on. I guess the word 'aggravated' implies some type of physical abuse. Usually though, they can still find her guilty of a lesser charge.

I believe this was still in relation to the child's death. Above, we are talking about not reporting the disappearance as it relates to the child's well-being and the responsibilities of a parent...

Last edited:
Agreed, she should at the vary least be spayed !

Totally!

It amazes me that modern mom's can leave their 2 year old at home and go partying. It's almost like responsibility is a bad word today. Today it's all about doing "what makes you feel good".

Just something interesting that came out, and I am not stating whether or not she did it, because I think we all agree she is guilty of something. But it recently came out (I saw this the other day, if I find it again Ill post back) that some of the evidence against her was falsified. Granted she was still acquitted, but is still is funny (to me) that some people came falsify evidence to put someone away, and in this case fail. Just kind of makes you wonder.

In case you were wondering what was falsified, apparently (since I never followed this too closely) they used her google searches history as evidence. Well it was stated that she searched Chloroform 84 times! Now my first reactions was, okay who the hell needs to search one thing at many times? The only excuses could be memory loss. But nevertheless it was evidence. But apparently it was an internet bus that increased her searches. Apparently she actually only even searched Chloroform once! Which she could have searched that for any number of reasons. But again I am not here to get into that.

I just thought it was interesting. Yeah Casey got off, but what about people that didnt due to something so little like that. Or what about the people who are put to death then later found out to be innocent? Just one of those things that makes one look up into the abyss, scratch his chin and say 'hmmmmmm...''

Back