The biggest problem with Martin Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leif_erikg

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a new Martin Logan fan, and owner I'm happy and proud to say! Not long ago I was listening to a lot of different speakers, searching for one to buy. I listened to a lot of different stuff including B&W, Canton, System Audio, Patos(Norwegian), Dali, and so on. But in one shop they had something completely different. A pair of Martin Logan Vantage. They were allready hooked up, me and my friend but in a cd and sat down. We were both not expecting much really, expect for a hefty price tag. To our suprise, we were both blown away. It was something completely different. The first electrostat we had ever heard, and it sounded so good! I asked about the price, and it was well over what I where planning to use. I went home and bought a set of used System Audio SA1750 that sounded good in the shop before I listened to the ML's. And now we get to the biggest problem with ML's.... :) The System Audio's sounded, well... not so good anymore. Really boring actually. So did everything else. The hunt was on. I needed some ML's badly, and quickly. Luckily I found a pair of ReQuest's just two days later. I had to drive 6 hours each way across the mountains in Norway to pick them up, and I haven't regreted it for one second! I really enjoy these speakers, and I'm pretty sure that this is not the last ML speaker I buy!

Now I'm looking into other improvments to do to my setup, and hope to share experiences with you guys. First up is some room treatments I think. Do many of you guys use anything to dampen wall reflections from the rear of the electrostat panel?

Sorry about any misspellings. My english isn't the best....

Best regards,
Leif Erik

Now I'm looking into other improvments to do to my setup, and hope to share experiences with you guys. First up is some room treatments I think. Do many of you guys use anything to dampen wall reflections from the rear of the electrostat panel?
Some here use absorption behind their speakers, other use diffusion. Depends on the room and each persons preferences. I am one who uses "some" absorption behind the speakers. Too much and the sound gets too dull. Trial and error will help you find what you like best.

Sorry about any misspellings. My english isn't the best....
Your english is great, no need to worry. BTW, welcome!!

Dan

Leif, Welcome ! there are several good threads on the site with respect to room accoustics, so search and you shall find !! As Dan said trial and error along with some basic understanding offered by the various discussions on this topic and you will be fine.

HI lief,
Dan is right. It depends on your room. I have tried absorption but settled on diffusers. Give your speakers plenty of space to the sides and rear as mentioned above.

Sparky

The more I have been reading on various sound panels and room sizes that relate to me, the more I'm inclined to opt for diffussion behind my Aeon-i's.

I think you're off to a great start by looking at sound treatment first and then work on rest of your electronics if they reveal any weakness to your ears.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips! I will certainly browse around on the forum! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing more with all of you!

Leif, welcome aboard!

You are right, there is a problem, it's an addiction :eek:

It could be worse, I have an addition to ML's and joined a Cult (of infinitely baffled) as well.

Cheers,

Welcome fellow ML lover!!!

This is our little corner of cyberspace (as Tom mentioned), but we're proud of our forum and we're happy that you've joined us as the fools who lust over the great sound of ML electrostats! Watch your step and dont fight the bug if it ever bites.

Joey

Welcome Leif, you'll find a wealth of experience, passion and opinions in this little garden. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure. :cheers:

Glad to hear you're happy with my old ReQuests (sorry for the long drive). For room tuning you should call Frode on 9808 7678 (he bought my Aerius i). he knows a lot about room tuning and will be happy to help you out (he can sell you some good stuff too).

Glad to hear you're happy with my old ReQuests (sorry for the long drive). For room tuning you should call Frode on 9808 7678 (he bought my Aerius i). he knows a lot about room tuning and will be happy to help you out (he can sell you some good stuff too).

Hehe, it's a small world! Funny to see you here! Don't be sorry about the long drive. I would have driven twice the distance if I had to do it again... I might get in touch with Frode then, thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back