Thank you, I get it now

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discocarp

Reaction score
I had an epiphany. I think all the discussion on my "upgrading to summits" thread really got me thinking.

I'm listening to Miles Davis, Filles de Kilimanjaro (great CD btw, even for Miles), Miss Mabry. Electric Piano to the left. Horn to the front. Drums and bass right. Almost. Except my sub is on the left. So, cymbals to the right, bass drum much more to the left. It was terrible. I had never noticed before. But it was all wrong.

I think I understand why you wouldn't want the descent with the summits for stereo now. If the summits can handle all the bass as y'all claim, then the sub would destroy what would be fantastic instrument positioning. It wouldn't just be unnecessary, it would be detrimental.

I had an epiphany. I think all the discussion on my "upgrading to summits" thread really got me thinking.

I'm listening to Miles Davis, Filles de Kilimanjaro (great CD btw, even for Miles), Miss Mabry. Electric Piano to the left. Horn to the front. Drums and bass right. Almost. Except my sub is on the left. So, cymbals to the right, bass drum much more to the left. It was terrible. I had never noticed before. But it was all wrong.

I think I understand why you wouldn't want the descent with the summits for stereo now. If the summits can handle all the bass as y'all claim, then the sub would destroy what would be fantastic instrument positioning. It wouldn't just be unnecessary, it would be detrimental.

Dual subs, crossed over low and plugged in to the speaker level output...that would clear it up! Not sure if you can do that w/ Descent subs, but I know it is the common way to hook up REL's...YMMV

In an difficult room, yes, a sub could possibly be detrimental. But if you can do it just right, you'd be surprised at your ability in bringing the Summits to the next level.

That said, I'm just happy without a sub. :cheers:

That said, I'm just happy without a sub. :cheers:

+1 Subless and enjoying the Summits... though to take the HT up another notch... it's on the wish list (Joeyitis lists) for 2007

+1 Subless and enjoying the Summits... though to take the HT up another notch... it's on the wish list (Joeyitis lists) for 2007

You will need to get Stuart to order you a Descent i so it will go with the Summit!:D

HI,
If I had Summits (I don't) I would not use subs for music. The inteface is just too difficult for seamless integration. And, I think, Summits do not need the help for the vast majority of recorded music.

HT is a different situation. Subs could definitely add to the thuds, booms, and crashes so treasured by movie watchers (me).

So, I would have the system set up to switch the subs in and out depending on the program material.

Sparky

HI,
If I had Summits (I don't) I would not use subs for music. The inteface is just too difficult for seamless integration. And, I think, Summits do not need the help for the vast majority of recorded music.

HT is a different situation. Subs could definitely add to the thuds, booms, and crashes so treasured by movie watchers (me).

So, I would have the system set up to switch the subs in and out depending on the program material.

Sparky

In the other thread, I was one of the posters who recommended that a sub was not necessary with the Summits for stereo listening, because the Summits bass goes so low and the Descent is an expensive piece. But I don't necessarily agree with the theories in this thread that the Descent is detrimental to two channel music with the Summits or too difficult to set up properly for it.

I think it has been shown with many studies that having three or four subwoofers around a room can even out the bass response (peaks and nulls). The Summits woofers don't have a lot of flexibility in placement. Adding a Descent (or two) gives you an opportunity to place an additional sub anywhere in the room that is helpful to even out the bass response.

It just has to be set up properly to integrate with the Summits, but I don't see that as a big issue. This is what we do, right? Tweak our gear until it sounds perfect. The Summits have the 25 & 50 hz controls and the descent has lots of controls for crossover settings, phase, level, etc., so I would not think it would be that difficult to set it up properly to help even out the room bass response for a 2.1 sound system. Properly set up, it should just augment the lowest frequencies, and shouldn't mess up imaging or soundstaging.

I am still burning my Summits in, so haven't played with this yet. But when I get them ready, I will see how well I can integrate them with my Descent for two channel listening. Obviously, the Descent would be most important for Home Theater, but don't discount it's usefulness to get a more even bass response in a two channel system.

Obviously, the Descent would be most important for Home Theater, but don't discount it's usefulness to get a more even bass response in a two channel system.

This man knows his stuff.....

If you, disco, can properly integrate a good sub with your Summits... you'll stand a good chance of improving an already reference set of speakers for 2ch.

HI Rich,
You have a good point concerning sub placement. Separate multiple subs is probably one of the best justificaitons for the CLX.

CLS owners with subs, multitiple subs if possible, know about this issue and take advantage of it. This is the case in my system. Not only do my Kinnergetics SW800 dual subs establish multiple separated lateral sources, because they are towers with 5 drivers per tower, the sources are also spread vertically. This design definitely spreads out the room excitement points and results in a smoother bass effect. The result is very noticible.

The ML Statements do the same thing. Unfortunately, it appears the CLX's will be designed around the standad ML subs which I think suffer by comparison to tower type designs.

Sparky

I agree with HT. Just discussing 2 chan music here. And for the record, I don't have summits (as everyone in the other thread knows :p). I'm listening to clarities with a dynamo now.

If you disagree that a sub could be detrimental, how would you place the sub properly? In my example, 2 subs would mitigate the problem since you'd be getting the proper base from the right, but you'd still be getting bass from the left that wasn't intended! The only solution it seems to me would be to do something like Pcar928fan suggested and use 2 subs on the speaker inputs. Is that possible on the descents?

I agree with HT. Just discussing 2 chan music here. And for the record, I don't have summits (as everyone in the other thread knows :p). I'm listening to clarities with a dynamo now.

If you disagree that a sub could be detrimental, how would you place the sub properly? In my example, 2 subs would mitigate the problem since you'd be getting the proper base from the right, but you'd still be getting bass from the left that wasn't intended! The only solution it seems to me would be to do something like Pcar928fan suggested and use 2 subs on the speaker inputs. Is that possible on the descents?

OK, let me try to clarify things a little bit. First off, we both agree that a sub would be useful for the LFE output for home theater, so let's just ignore that for now. Let's talk about using a sub for 2.1 channel listening with the Summits. I know you don't have the Summits now -- you are using the Dynamo with the Clarities. This information is given based on the assumptions from the last thread that you are considering buying Summits and a Stage and using the Clarities for rear speakers, so that you have home theater and awesome two channel sound.

So the question becomes, do you try to use the dynamo or some other subwoofer, like the depth or descent, with the summits for Home Theater and Stereo listening. I still stand by my earlier remarks that it is unnecessary to do so. The Summits put out enough deep bass that another sub isn't necessary, in my opinion. You and karma indicated that you felt it would actually be detrimental to do so. The point I am trying to make is that, although it is not necessary, it would also not necessarily be detrimental to stereo sound.

The keys to doing this correctly is proper placement of the subs and setting the controls properly. First, you would probably want to set the high pass crossover on the sub at its lowest crossover setting (40 hz. for the descent), so it only handles the deepest registers. Sound in this frequency range tends to be much less directional -- it is almost felt as much as heard and it is harder to tell what direction it is coming from. Since the Summits would be putting out plenty of bass too, the directionality of a kick drum, for instance, wouldn't be put off -- even if the Sub was located in the rear of the room. What it should do is smooth out the frequency response throughout the room, without affecting sound stage.

The kicker here is the question you asked in your post: "How do I place the sub properly?" Well, that discussion would take up a lot more space than this thread would allow. There are many great articles written about sub placement available if you search the internet. If you like, I can try to scrounge up a few links for you.

The easy answer is: by trial and error. You just keep moving it around the room until the bass response sounds the smoothest. There are many different techniques for finding the right placement. Ultimately, proper placement will be dependant on the acoustics of your particular room. Once you have the placement right, you must get all the controls set properly. There is no question that it can be very difficult and time consuming. And it may be more than you want to mess with right now.

Again, please understand that I am not necessarily recommending this for your setup. I just didn't want other people who may be reading this thread to think that you couldn't have a sub or two with the Summits without destroying your two channel listening experience. I think you can and it can be beneficial, but setting it up properly would be key.

I plan to use my Descent with my Summits definitely for home theater and probably for stereo listening too. It is also possible that I will buy another (now that the Descent i is out, I should be able to get a good deal on a used Descent) and use two Descents with my Summits.

To answer your earlier question, the Descent does not have speaker level inputs, so you would need to drive it from a line level (rca) input. For me, this would not be a problem, since my tube preamp has two sets of line level outputs. I can hook one set up to my amp, and use the other pair to hook up two subs (and have stereo subwoofers), which would help reduce the directionality issue that you referred to earlier. This way, the right speaker bass would go to the right Summit and right sub, and the left speaker bass would go to the left Summit and left sub.

Man, what a long post. I hope I have clarified things more than I have muddied them. :D

Thanks for the explanation. You didn't muddy things at all. :) Well, maybe a little but in a good way hehe.

I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but I understand your argument. I turned the low pass filter on my dynamo all the way down (30 Hz) and I'm going to experiment some. I find it hard to believe it would be impossible to tell the direction of the bass, but that's what experimenting is for! I definitely did NOT have it at 30 Hz before. I'm not sure how much experimenting on the dynamo/clarities will relate to the summits/descent, but I'm sure I'll learn something in any case.

On a side note, my dynamo has speaker level inputs. I wonder why the descent doesn't. Does anyone know which subs do and do not have the speaker level inputs?

Also, I'd be interested in a good sub placement link or two, if its no trouble!

I just checked the PDF manual at martinlogan.com. The descent i DOES have speaker level inputs (page 12).

... The kicker here is the question you asked in your post: "How do I place the sub properly?" ... The easy answer is: by trial and error. You just keep moving it around the room until the bass response sounds the smoothest.
This is where a sub equalizer like the Velodyne SMS-1 comes in handy. It gives you a way to quantitatively measure the various placements and make informed decisions. (My thanks to Joey_V for recommending this to me, by the way. Its been amazingly useful 'tuning' the subs in our acoustically challenged family room. ;) )

I turned the low pass filter on my dynamo all the way down (30 Hz) and I'm going to experiment some. I find it hard to believe it would be impossible to tell the direction of the bass, but that's what experimenting is for! I definitely did NOT have it at 30 Hz before. I'm not sure how much experimenting on the dynamo/clarities will relate to the summits/descent, but I'm sure I'll learn something in any case.

Actually, it shouldn't relate at all. The bass on the Clarities drops off a little below 50 Hz, so I would expect that the 80 Hz. Low Pass setting on your dynamo would give you more even response than the 30 Hz. setting. But your experiment should tell you whether that is true. As I said, a lot depends on the response of the room it is set up in.

Glad to hear that they put speaker level inputs into the Descent i. I wish they had done that on the Descent. It just gives you a little more flexibility in setup.

This is where a sub equalizer like the Velodyne SMS-1 comes in handy. It gives you a way to quantitatively measure the various placements and make informed decisions. (My thanks to Joey_V for recommending this to me, by the way. Its been amazingly useful 'tuning' the subs in our acoustically challenged family room. ;) )

I heartily agree with this recommendation. I can't wait to get one of these for my own system.

You are right that the 30 Hz setting doesn't sound so great after a night of listening. If the clarities stop at 50 Hz I think I'll start the sub at 50 Hz and work it up a little each day.

Its to bad I can't do a "real" test with this setup, but its still fun to play around. :)

Also, I'd be interested in a good sub placement link or two, if its no trouble!

OK, here are a couple of links to some sites that index a bunch of different articles regarding room acoustics and sub placement.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/index.php

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

http://www.asc-hifi.com/articles.htm

And here are some links to a few specific articles. I know there are many more than this, but I don't have time to search them all out right now. Happy reading.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

http://www.onhometheater.com/features/20040515.htm

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=82&article_id=1944&page_number=1&print_page=y

Thanks so much Rich! Don't worry about spending a ton of time on it, I completely understand! This will give me plenty to wade through.

I know that people swear by subs for HT but unless you're in a single family home where you can crank the bejeezus out of the volume, I don't think a sub is that important. I realize there's a whole LFE channel and all that. Other than missing out on that, my SL3s produce enough boom boom in the room room to **** off my neighbors in my condo :)

Latest posts

Back