TAS review of the CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A full range speaker goes down to the 20-25hz range.

By that definition, the CLX without subs is not a full range speaker
system...

A full range speaker goes down to the 20-25hz range.

By that definition, the CLX without subs is not a full range speaker
system...

Thanks for the clarification Jeff, Wikipedia is wrong then...and Martin Logan at their site are wrong too...here is what they are saying..." CLX
The World's Finest Full-Range Electrostatic Line Source Loudspeaker" ...do not understand this also...
happy listening,
Roberto.:rocker:

Last edited:
Always getting the snarky little dig in, aren't we....

Just out of curiosity, you always seem to be pretty quick to dismiss things, what would have made
JV or my review "Better"? We both played them with a variety of music and did our best to provide a good description of the sound with said material.

We both went into pretty substantial detail on the amount of setup required to make the speakers sound their best.

We provided more and more interesting photographs of the CLX as well as showing different finish options.

We used the CLX with a much wider variety of amplification than TAS did.

I went back to the factory for a complete tour, discussed the product objectives with the ML staff and even screwed the final bolts into the review pair, TAS did not.

I evaluated the speakers with AND without subwoofers, TAS did not.

I took a day to listen to the CLS as a comparison, TAS referred to the CLS from 15 year old memories.

So, please explain what we failed to address. I've probably spent more time on the CLX review (and certainly more magazine real estate) than any other component we've ever reviewed.

Interestingly though, I think JV, Roy Gregory and I all arrived at the same conclusion, that the CLX is a pretty spectacular speaker (especially at the price point) and were all impressed with the same aspects of the CLX.

Personally, considering how much the various magazines tend to disagree on everything, I think that's quite a testament to what ML has achieved.

But on the other hand, the Quads are on their way here after CES, so I'm anxious to spend some time with them. Really enjoyed them a lot at the show and I've always loved Quad.

A different speaker than the CLX for sure, but certainly a great alternative for someone with different requirements. I'll be curious to see how they respond to different amplification.

We'll keep you posted when they arrive!

Better, as in JV being able to compare them to the Quads, but still not a great review. If everything goes right, a great review should be forthcoming.

"I evaluated the speakers with AND without subwoofers, TAS did not."

It will be interesting to read JV's comments on this subject.

By whom?

Sunday, seems to be you get around and listen to some amazing equipment in Florida. What do you think of the CLX?

The reviewer shall remain confidential as several things need to happen first.

I've heard the CLX twice and preferred them with the ARC gear. They are the most dynamic 'stat I've ever heard. However, I don't think they were symmetrically positioned, as I kept moving my head. I hope to get another listen around the end of the month. Also, I prefer analog, which unfortunately, isn't available at that store. However, I was impressed with the dCS front end used with the ARC gear. I also hope to hear the new ARC CD-8.

PS: Y'all must hear the Focal Grand Utopia EM's!

call me an idiot which if I am wrong I am sure you all will but I do not believe Magnapan even makes a dipole speaker correct? its merely a magnet planer speaker correct.

The reviewer shall remain confidential as several things need to happen first.

I've heard the CLX twice and preferred them with the ARC gear. They are the most dynamic 'stat I've ever heard. However, I don't think they were symmetrically positioned, as I kept moving my head. I hope to get another listen around the end of the month. Also, I prefer analog, which unfortunately, isn't available at that store. However, I was impressed with the dCS front end used with the ARC gear. I also hope to hear the new ARC CD-8.

PS: Y'all must hear the Focal Grand Utopia EM's!

LOL....

Always secret squirrel stuff with you. Just like you knew that there was an upgrade path to the Summit X from the Summit.

It only takes a phone call to the factory to find out who's got em on loan.

My guess would be the perfect review is going to be the one that has the same gear you have and draws the same conclusion you have drawn.

Pretty funny. After about six great reviews of the CLX, I can't imagine what's going to be uncovered about the speaker that's already been revealed, especially considering that every one of the reviews agree on the high and low points of the CLX.

Personally, that's what I'm taken back by, that everyone heard the same thing with this great speaker...

And it's probably of more help to a potential buyer.

Pardon me while I kick the dead horse.

No I think I have not heard the CLX. I have heard the Maggie. I have not heard the new Quad. My opinion of the CLX was based on the reviews. That fact was clearly stated. I joked about buying the Quad. At the end of his review in TAS JV stated that if you want the utmost in bass extension the Quad maybe a better choice. I don't have the review in front of me. I believe he also said it was cheaper.

As a matter of fact I stated that anyone interested in the CLX should reserve judgement until listening as will I.

Check the thread on Jeffs review.:rolleyes:
Gregadd

Last edited:
"I evaluated the speakers with AND without subwoofers, TAS did not."

It will be interesting to read JV's comments on this subject.

As JV doesn't like subwoofers, I'd bet a good bottle of wine that he doesn't like the combination. Also, considering that he listens to a lot more classical music than I do, that little bit of a mismatch that exists with mating the CLX to a pair of woofers is going to bother him a lot more than it bothered me.

We had the same result here. A couple of my good friends that are extreme purists claimed that they could hear the woofers, no matter where we put them. Harvey Gilbert from ML and another friend that is a recording engineer felt the blend was seamless.

I think putting a pair of speakers and a pair of subs in ANY room is going to require a lot of fine adjustment and finesse. It will work better in some rooms than others, and I'll bet JV has a little bit more difficulty working with two subs in an almost square room, but who knows, it might work splendidly....

I too will be curious as to how the combination works for him.

I believe there was one in Germany and one or two in Japan...
Might have been one in Finland too. Pretty sure someone here on the forum pointed them out a while back.

As far as the Quads go, they are great speakers too. Never know, you might hear em and fall in love. You wouldn't be the first to do so...

LOL....

Always secret squirrel stuff with you. Just like you knew that there was an upgrade path to the Summit X from the Summit.

It only takes a phone call to the factory to find out who's got em on loan.

My guess would be the perfect review is going to be the one that has the same gear you have and draws the same conclusion you have drawn.

Pretty funny. After about six great reviews of the CLX, I can't imagine what's going to be uncovered about the speaker that's already been revealed, especially considering that every one of the reviews agree on the high and low points of the CLX.

Personally, that's what I'm taken back by, that everyone heard the same thing with this great speaker...

And it's probably of more help to a potential buyer.

I have since learned that the upgrade path, (unwisely) has been discarded.

You're snide remarks SUCK!

I think that an upgrade path for the original summit owner makes no sense at all and have backed this opinion from the beginning.

I've heard the CLX twice and preferred them with the ARC gear. They are the most dynamic 'stat I've ever heard.

Did Eliot crank them up to ear splitting volumes for you too? I left there and my ears rang for an hour...lol

However, I don't think they were symmetrically positioned, as I kept moving my head. I hope to get another listen around the end of the month.

E claims that they were set up by the ML rep. I think they were too far apart and had too much toe. To me they had this huge hole in the middle of the soundstage that I kept turning my head to try and find. Also the room sucked out any of the lower bass that the CLX may produce, so that they sounded bright and hollow with the connected Krell gear. The overall presentation was bright and analytical. I left with a better appreciation for the musicality of my Summits and spent the $$ that were buring a hole in my pocket on better electronics as Jeff suggested.

Last edited:
the spires where a leap of faith for me I never heard them before I ordered them.I really think I would do the same with the CLX as I hate auditioning speakers in public places the rooms usually suck

Did Eliot crank them up to ear splitting volumes for you too? I left there and my ears rang for an hour...lol

E claims that they were set up by the ML rep. I think they were too far apart and had too much toe. To me they had this huge hole in the middle of the soundstage that I kept turning my head to try and find. Also the room sucked out any of the lower bass that the CLX may produce, so that they sounded bright and hollow with the connected Krell gear. The overall presentation was bright and analytical. I left with a better appreciation for the musicality of my Summits.

Go back and hear them with the ARC gear. Yes, he played them too loud, however, I think the problem sonically was the cables he used. I heard the Focal's using the Krell Pre & Amp, but with the Nordost cables. Sounded mighty nice.
Btw, the ARC gear was also connected with Nordost.

Anyone (especially a salesman) who cranks up the sound to that level needs a smack on the side of the head; it's lunacy to listen at those levels.

Latest posts

Back