TAS review of the CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the volume control should be in the hands of the customer.

the volume control should be in the hands of the customer.
Very definitely. If I were subjected to deafening levels I would ask the idiot (even if he owns the place) to turn it down. If he refused to, I would leave.

Did Eliot crank them up to ear splitting volumes for you too? I left there and my ears rang for an hour...lol

Huh? What's wrong with asking--insisting, even--that the volume be lowered a bit? You're the (potential) customer, so you get to chose.

Wilson tends to demo gear way too loud at shows as well. Peter McGrath really likes to crank it up.

When I spent time at Dave Wilson's house, he played music at a much more realistic level and it was the first time I really was able to appreciate their sound.

I've seen a few of the demos since where Dave runs the demo, and he's always more reasonable on the volume level. Probably attracts more customers than turning it up to 11.

Very definitely. If I were subjected to deafening levels I would ask the idiot (even if he owns the place) to turn it down. If he refused to, I would leave.

That's what I did. I asked twice and each time he turned it down only a tiny bit, so I left.

Last edited:
These comments are quite surprising to me, particularly since my experience was pretty much ideal. Not to mention that Eliot is easily among the most knowledgeable gurus I have encountered.

Maybe we just hit it off with each other, for some reason (I AM quite nice fellow :D)

Might want to try one more time, and feel free to adjust the volume yourself...

not to get on my soap box about this subject again but that's just it it's the job of the salesman to "hit it of with you" not "you with him" and to ask you the customer what you prefer. the salesman's likes and dislikes and preferences should not be known unless asked.they should ask you for your favorite listening material and then ask you for your preferred listening level and that should be that. after a few moments they should ask if you would like to adjust the treble bass or balance I have also adjusted the listening position to my liking any protest at all I would walk myself and my money straight out the door.

I am not saying any of these things happened or did not happen to you guys

Last edited:
Got to agree with Fishman here.

When you are spending your hard earned cash on stuff this expensive, they should coddle you. That's why so many wealthy people I know avoid high end audio. It needs to be the Lexus experience rather than having to walk in a shop, and having to justify your existence when you are the one wanting to drop a five figure sum of money on hifi toys.

The retailers that fail to make this change, especially in this economy will soon be out of business.

The old business model no longer works.

Well...

I must say I agree with the above comments -- and attitudes. All I was saying was that my experience seemed quite a bit different, and I thought his assistance and recommendations were top-notch.

More specifically, the comments made by FISH_MAN seemed to pretty much reflect my actual experience.

But, at they say, YMMV...:D

Got to agree with Fishman here.

When you are spending your hard earned cash on stuff this expensive, they should coddle you. That's why so many wealthy people I know avoid high end audio. It needs to be the Lexus experience rather than having to walk in a shop, and having to justify your existence when you are the one wanting to drop a five figure sum of money on hifi toys.

The retailers that fail to make this change, especially in this economy will soon be out of business.

The old business model no longer works.

Agreed. One for the sad things for those in the retail audio business (especially the high end) is that customer mistreatment is not new, as this hilarious sketch from the early 1980's British comedy show, Not The Nine O'Clock News illustrates too well...

Latest posts

Back