System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola Chris... the problem that I have is that I had stopped to listen what is bad, and now I am enjoying what it is good. I do not want to listen any more the problems, now, I just listen music and the musician(s) playing for me here, in my own room. That is why I did say, I am not an audiophile any more. I am not listening to vinyl, because I had enough with analogue. Vinyl is awesome when it is singing right, I know that too. So, I decided to stop making comparisons, and now I am truly enjoying my music, and the good thing, is that I have access to all my music in less than 5 seconds. Quality? It is not bad at all. I had it worse in the 70s and 80s. So, that it is why I said, I am not an audiophile any more. Right now, I am playing with some Bel Canto Evo 2 MKII power amplifiers, and are driving my CLXs very good. I am missing the warm of the tubes, and the stage is a little more compressed by this mono blocks...but they exhibit more extension at the high frequency, where I am getting a little more definition in some instruments, like violin and electric guitar. Greater dynamics, and also more punchy at the lower mid range... I am liking this new way of listening to the music. But, the truth is, my heart is with tubes. Happy listening!

Hi roberto, I heard the R500 bel canto, it was soft tube like, made the panels disappear instantly. Is that what you find with the Evo 2?

Hi Bonzo... well, the sound of them are totally different than tubes. They have more extension at the highs, and wide stage. What I am not too convinced yet, is regarding the vocals. I get some grains and harsh on most female voices. Is like they have a flu. Kind of a nasal too. The piano is excellent. I do not understand this. I do not get any harsh or metallic sound from the piano. Clean and crispy is what I get. But, the lower register notes, are sometimes, (very recording dependent), too thin. . This is at the lower mid range region, not at the bass, because the bass is robust and well detailed. The guitar is palpable, with tons of tonality flavors around. I know, I can not have it all. Right now, I am missing my tube amp. It is a power supply modified VT-100 MLII made by Audio Research. I love its warmth sound. What I do not like from this amp, is that my room gets too hot in two hours, and the air conditioning electricity bill, is killing me. The Bel Canto Evo2MKII are one of a kind. These amps are now in my room, for about one month. I can not stand other amps, because I get ear fatigue very easy...and not with these babies. One of these days, I am going back to my AR and I will post my findings. Have a good one! Happy listening.

They use the same circuit topology. The newest model is the Reference 500. The ones that I have, are stereo, or mono blocks. They have a big toroidal transformer, making to weight a lot. But the Reference is using the latest technology, or better say, the latest circuit topology design. A comparison between then, I think that the Reference 500 is cleaner, but a little bit less dynamic as the Evo2MKII is. I do like then (the ref500) a lot. Great value for the performance. http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/UG_eVo2.pdf Here, you can see that the Evo2MKII has almost twice the power then the Reference 500. Both are good amps. Happy listening.

Yes I liked the sound, it was different and soft, made panels disappear quite quickly - I had combined it with a cheap Townshend Allegri preamp (it is a passive preamp that costs only 1850 when new, but is supposed to be a giant killer) - and though the combo did not have the same details as Krell, you could listen to them for a long time

Roberto, I followed the your youtube link to Valentina Lisitsa. She is an amazing pianist. I sat at the computer for more than 1 1/2 hrs listening to her play.

Unfortunately she doesn't have a lot of recorded music available yet. I searched the internet for specific pieces she had played but not much luck. I did order a couple of CD's that were available hopefully they will be well recorded.

Thanks for the tip.

Hola Brad. I just got her dvd at The Albert Concert Hall. It was recorded about a year ago. It is one of the best piano recordings that I have. It is truly, an amazing recording. Happy listening!

Yesterday I had the immense pleasure of visiting Roberto at his home and listening to music through his system. I finally got to meet the man!

Roberto is a very charming and gracious host. I went there with my wife and the son of a friend. His wife served us mandarin orange juice made with oranges from his back yard; it was amazing. Considerate as always, Roberto had invited his English-speaking sister-in-law so my wife would have company. Roberto and I then retired to his music room while the rest took off to play tourist.

In a nutshell, it was immediately clear that Roberto's CLXes are a bit better than my SL3s!

We listened exclusively to digital files, though there were three turntables in the room: Goldmund, Oracle, and Linn.

Roberto had also invited a musician/audiophile friend over. He brought a bunch of songs by his favourite Latinas, on his laptop. That last sentence is open to delicious misinterpretation. :)

At the start we noticed a harsh edge to the system while listening to the laptop music, so I suggested to Roberto in jest that he replace his SS power amps with his ARC VT100 (which had the "Roberto mod"), which he did. In doing so Roberto felt that he lost the highs, but the harshness was still there. Conclusion: it was not the amps. All this time he was insisting that it was the laptop that was causing the problem. Note: the laptop had replaced the Mac Mini in the chain. Roberto's friend felt that it was more a function of the recording quality, and indeed, on more recent recordings the harshness was ameliorated somewhat.

Putting the Mac Mini back into the system removed the harshness. I had taken a bunch of my music (WAV files) on a USB stick, so we transferred them to the Mac and listened to them off it. On songs with which I was familiar, listening was magical. The speakers were not relevant as they disappeared. There was a ton of information I was not aware of on those recordings, and they sounded great. One of the tracks was a transfer I had made from LP. The musician in Roberto immediately told me that the piano was out of tune, and that he could hear the wow in the piano.

We also listened to a recording of Roberto and his friend playing "La Chica de Ipanema", as well as a solo piano recording by his friend. They are both talented musicians. I also had the pleasure of hearing Roberto accompanying some of the songs I had taken on his guitar.

Then we listened to a YouTube piano recording (Murray Perahia playing Schubert's "Ständchen"). I was truly impressed by how YouTube sounded; a function of his Bel Canto equipment, Roberto tells me.

All of this equipment was sitting on a super-wide custom non-adjustable (welded) rack.

Roberto also demonstrated the effect of moving some Shun Mook Mpingo disks he had sitting by the sides of the CLXes; the effects were obvious. He had a very large number of these disks sitting under and on top of everything around. He even had three on top of each CLX. And no, we did not experiment extensively. After all, I was there to listen to music!

All of this was accompanied by an exquisite Rioja that Roberto served, in Riedel stemware, no less. It was super-smooth, with absolutely no harshness. It was truly music on my tongue. My apologies for gushing here, but the taste was unbelievable; absolutely the BEST wine I have ever had. The two of us drank the bottle over the 4 hours I was there; fortunately for us Roberto's friend (and Montis owner) is a teetotaler. Roberto suggested that he could open another bottle, but I declined.

My apologies for the length of this post, but I had a great time and wanted to do it justice.

That was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. THANK YOU ROBERTO!!!

Last edited:
Bernard, I am very happy that you did like what you listen with me!. Meeting you and your lovely wife Jacinta, is a truly HONOR! The "mandarinas" of my back yard are very tasty. Their juice is refreshing and not too bitter. Now, I have to tell you that last night, after you left, I replaced the KT-120 tubes and went back to the 6550Cs, re-adjust the bias and the sound is beautiful. Tubes are great. I do think that my ears were made for tubes. On the other hand, the Bel Canto power amps, brings another sound presentation, different of the SS, and I could say, like tube sound, but further extension at the highs. Sometimes I do like this, but again, now that I have my VT-100MKII singing again, I am truly a tube person. Again Bernard, thank you for your present, beautiful music, and now both of you will live in our hearts! God Bless you, my dear friend!

Roberto, I'm glad I was instrumental in your going back to tubes. BTW, I was wondering if in your mods to your VT100 you replaced your diodes with fast-recovery ones. They made a big difference in the CAL DAC I used to have.

You should post a picture of the label of that Rioja in the Wine and Cheese thread.

Yes Bernard, those diodes are fast recovery of course. The tubes are sounding great, and the wine is Dinastia Vivanco, Crianza, 2008, Rioja, Spain. In the 2011 best wine world's chart, it is at the 59th position. But, the company was the best!!! Again, thank you so much for coming to play with my toys! Warmest regards from Costa Rica!

It warms my heart to read posts such as these. I have made some wonderful friends on this forum and have been fortunate to visit with Steve (slowgeezr), Jonathan (Jonfo), and Gordon Gray in their homes. Wonderful people who showed me generous hospitality. I can only hope that someday I will have the opportunity to make it up to Canada to see Bernard and down to Costa Rica to see Roberto. And next time I fly across the pond, I'm definitely going to meet up with Justin. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Bernard. You brought a little joy to my heart today. Wish I could have been there.

Well Rich the price of admission is a shot of your system. Don't worry - you need not post it on the web. BUT your face must be in the shot without ANY obvious digital editing. When I see the Dansette don't worry I won't tell them;):ROFL:

Maybe, just maybe, the new speakers will be done when you show up. The last visitor I had came from Lichtenstein. He waited three years for his refurbished Scintillas. Gulp. He also has Studio Grands.

Glad you had a good time Bernard. I assume you managed to walkout with the CLXs unnoticed?

The thing about this forum is the distance between its members. It is amazing that some members have managed to meet up at all.

Don't despair Justin. You know you will have your system finished long before I get around to taking pictures of mine. Now where did I put that camera . . .

It warms my heart to read posts such as these. I have made some wonderful friends on this forum and have been fortunate to visit with Steve (slowgeezr), Jonathan (Jonfo), and Gordon Gray in their homes. Wonderful people who showed me generous hospitality. I can only hope that someday I will have the opportunity to make it up to Canada to see Bernard and down to Costa Rica to see Roberto. And next time I fly across the pond, I'm definitely going to meet up with Justin. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Bernard. You brought a little joy to my heart today. Wish I could have been there.
Rich, it would be a pleasure to have you over so that you can experience first-hand what Martin Logans sound like. :ROFL:

Glad you had a good time Bernard. I assume you managed to walkout with the CLXs unnoticed?
No, I didn't, but I did leave behind a litre of saliva!
The thing about this forum is the distance between its members. It is amazing that some members have managed to meet up at all.
It is indeed amazing. So far I have met only four members.

Rich, it would be a pleasure to have you over so that you can experience first-hand what Martin Logans sound like. :ROFL:

:ROFL:

Now, now. Let's not take him too far... he may actually take a picture and that would spell "no more fun". Logans or no Logans.:ROFL:

Back