System #45 (Monolith IIIx, SL3XC, Sequel II)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a 13 point measurement today (1hr of test tones and moving the mic around. Which is not too bad considering it’s doing 7.1+2 (+2 because it also because of the combined surround speakers) therefore that’s 130 individual measurements as the input to the Audyssey Pro algorithm.

One of the new features in 3.0 is the target curve editor, so I was able to try a slightly more bass-tilted arrangement. On dance and rock, it’s pretty cool. But probably a bit too aggressive in the bass for most other recordings.

But that’s one of the neat features in 3.x, as I can just reload the measurements, select a new target curve and set the AVP to the new parameters.

Hopefully in the future, the AVP can store 3 or so Audyssey profiles and dynamically switch amongst them.

But for now, man, it’s really rocking :rocker:

Anyone who says ML’s can’t do rock or bass-heavy music, need to come hear this rig ;)

More acoustics progress: Hung a couple of the Minitraps from the ceiling near the front of the room.

That was two hours of measuring, screwing and adjusting that are a pain. But the results are worth it.

Then re-did a 10-point Audyssey Pro measurement to adapt to the new treatments. As usual, had to turn off everything in the house to keep background noise levels down for the measurements.
I used a tighter microphone spacing profile for the measurements and the resulting time-cohesion is better this time. That is, sounds panned around the soundfield are supremely integrated and smooth.
The Porcupine Tree DVD-A’s are great examples of what modern 5.1 recordings can do. But it takes a LOT of care in system setup to get them to sound perfect.

The frequency balance is great. Bass is sooo tight; you could bounce a quarter off of it ;)

Still to come, more acoustic treatments on the ceiling. But that’s tomorrow mornings to-do.
I’ll post pics once I finish those.

Very cool Jonathan, I'll bet it sounds freaking awesome! I can only imagine how much has gone into everything that you have done thus far. Looking forward to seeing the pics. :)

Seth

Man, it's hard to take pictures of black objects on a black ceiling.

I mean, they are designed to not be obvious, and they aren't. These pics required the use of flash plus post-processing of the image (to raise shadow detail).

So here are pics of the two Minitraps hung just in front of the two Monoliths.
Plus an angle shot to show more of the context.

BTW- the unit centered on the screen is a Mondo trap right over the center channel/IB sub.

Attachments

• Ceiling Treatments 002.JPG
    Ceiling Treatments 002.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 495
  • Ceiling Treatments 010.JPG
    Ceiling Treatments 010.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 467
Man, it's hard to take pictures of black objects on a black ceiling.

I mean, they are designed to not be obvious, and they aren't. These pics required the use of flash plus post-processing of the image (to raise shadow detail).

So here are pics of the two Minitraps hung just in front of the two Monoliths.
Plus an angle shot to show more of the context.

BTW- the unit centered on the screen is a Mondo trap right over the center channel/IB sub.

Lookin' good!:) Yeah I can imagine how tricky it was to get the photos to show the details when it's black on black. Great job!

JonFo,

Did you remove your driverack? Is the Audyssey replacing that now? Or is it similar to room correction. So you would still use the xover but now use the Audyssey.?

Hi Jason, I still use the DriveRack 4800 for front speaker crossover duties.

I only do minimal corrections in the DriveRack, mostly on the sub to correct the biggest room modes.

The rest of the room correction is handled by the Audyssey Pro processing in the Denon AVP preamp.

The phase-correct FIR filters used by Audyssey are much better in the high-frequencies than the IIR filters used in the DriveRack.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is also pretty slick and supplants the 'AutoWarmth' feature in the DriveRacks.

As I noted, the absolute perfection of signal timing afforded by the Audyssey pro setup (and the time-aligned EQ) mean that the soundstage is as 3D as one could imagine.

Movie soundtracks are just amazing. We watched 10,000 BC last night and all parts of the soundtrack were perfect, with the stampede of mammoths being near realistic. The whole room was shaking something fierce, but did not feel overwhelming.
It sounded almost ‘natural’ if one can say that about a heard of extinct beasts stomping by ;)

Last edited:
Hi Jason, I still use the DriveRack 4800 for front speaker crossover duties.

I only do minimal corrections in the DriveRack, mostly on the sub to correct the biggest room modes.

The rest of the room correction is handled by the Audyssey Pro processing in the Denon AVP preamp.

The phase-correct IIR filters used by Audyssey are much better in the high-frequencies than the FIR filters used in the DriveRack.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is also pretty slick and supplants the 'AutoWarmth' feature in the DriveRacks.

As I noted, the absolute perfection of signal timing afforded by the Audyssey pro setup (and the time-aligned EQ) mean that the soundstage is as 3D as one could imagine.

Movie soundtracks are just amazing. We watched 10,000 C last night and all parts of the soundtrack were perfect, with the stampede of mammoths being near realistic. The whole room was shaking something fierce, but did not feel overwhelming.
It sounded almost ‘natural’ if one can say that about a heard of extinct beasts stomping by ;)

Very cool. What are your thoughts using it in a 2ch setup only? Cost?

Using an AVP for 2ch?

Well, it could be used that way, and its still cheaper than many 2ch-only preamps, so it's not overspending to use one that way at $7,500.

It has very good purist modes (called Direct) that bypass most processing. It even has a fully analog signal chain mode if you really want it.

However, the real beauty of this unit is the Audyssey room correction onboard. It will definetly improve your in-room response in 2ch or multi-ch.
Along with Dynamic EQ (which really works wonders), this would make for an impressive 2ch system.

Several of my favorite SACD's are 2ch and they sound great with just the two Monoliths (and sub).

As usual, had to turn off everything in the house to keep background noise levels down for the measurements.

*very* cool as usual. Quick question though... it looks like you tune your system in an environment you don’t have for listening... When you turn everything off in the house... before tuning... aren’t you optimizing for an environment that isn’t around when you actually listen to your system?

Also... looks like Santa will bring a new Integra DHC 9.9 so I too will benefit from the audyssey MultiEQ and Dynamic EQ to begin the journey of correcting room acoustics... :music:

Although my journey will be MUCH shorter than the well documented one you're on...:bowdown:

*very* cool as usual. Quick question though... it looks like you tune your system in an environment you don’t have for listening... When you turn everything off in the house... before tuning... aren’t you optimizing for an environment that isn’t around when you actually listen to your system? ...

Hi Scott, thanks, and good question. One has to optimize for some baseline, and since the fridge, HVAC, etc. are not always on, it is recommended to EQ against the quietest background one might consistently have.

This means that there won’t be undue EQ for things like a projector fan noise when the PJ is off.

Although conversely, it does mean that the fan noise will impinge on the quality of the sound if it’s on.
But then, any extraneous noise does.

So the idea is to not EQ with any *variable* noise source present when measuring.

Now, if you have a room fan (and many HT’s have a constant-on room circulation fan to pull air out of the HT and keep it fresh), that’s always on, then you could try measuring with it on, at it’s part of the acoustic signature of the room and will always be there.

Cool news about the Integra 9.9! I’ll have to visit you with my Audyssey pro kit and we can do a full Pro calibration on your lovely Summit system.

Finally some pictures of the rear of the room, starting with a panoramic pic showing the two rear sequels and all the room treatments in the rear (although, the huge Modo Traps in the corners are near invisible)

RearStichPano_sml.jpg

And here's another view of the rear with a tighter and higher perspective:

RearStich3pano_sml.jpg

And here's the view from the main seat. Showing (from lower left to right):

- The laptop used to compose much of what get's posted here ;)
- The new 16:9 1080p 22" LCD to monitor the Video and GUI from the Denon so I don't have to fire up the CRT all the time
- The Dell Axim PDA w/WiFi that is the remote GUI for the CeBotics Housebot automation system
- The Denon Remote and and Intermatic Z-Wave lighting controller

ControlView_sml.jpg

Last edited:
And a better view of the handmade yarn hanging my wife made for the theater.

This is 40+ hours of work and yards and yards of high-end yarns. Looks pretty cool in person and the acoustic properties are appropriate ;)

Attachments

• YarnHanging_smlJPG.jpg
    YarnHanging_smlJPG.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 546
Your welcome Jonathan and we would love to come out again when you have another listening session.:D Katrina and I had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed your system and hospitality.

Jonathan,

When I look at your seating area I can't help but think of a harem (the colour scheme and silk really helps there) ! :D

Jon, am I seeing right or are you listening to all that amazing ML sound while watching your movies on a 4:3 screen??? If you are, time to upgrade!:music:

Back