System #364 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenote56

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Johann

2. Location: Austria

3. ML Model: Summit

4. Year Purchased: 2009

6. Associated Electronics: Benchmark DAC1-USB, Wadia 6 CD Payer, Paravicini E.A.R 864 Tube Preamp, Krell FBP200 Poweramp, 2x Tannoy TA600 Poweramps, Postl&Smit Turntable, Alphason MCS-100 Arm, Vdh Grasshopper Cartrige, Interconnects; VdH, OSH, Neutrik Swissflex, Speaker Cables: Neutrik/Contrik Speakonflex, OSH, Power Cords: Supra LoRad, IeGO Rhodium Plugs, Vibex Power Block Rhodium

Attachments

• Listening Room 20101024.jpg
    Listening Room 20101024.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,285
Wilkommen Johann! Very nice-looking system. I'd like to see a closeup picture of your turntable.

I'd like to see a closeup picture of your turntable.

Here it comes.

This turntable has been handcrafted by Postl&Smid, Vienna. As I asked for some reengineering and modifications, they did a special version of their model "Rondo" for me. Unfortunately they had to terminate business some years later.

I enjoyed various visits in their factory, especially an incredible 80 m2 demo room, operating Apogee Scintillas powered by 4 units of 4KW Postl&Smid power amps. Very, very impressive !

Attachments

• postlundsmid.jpg
    postlundsmid.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,086
That's a think of beauty. Is the platter glass or acrylic?
It certainly is a thing of beauty. The Alphason was a very highly-regarded arm way back when (25 years or so ago), but I've not heard of Alphason recently. I wonder what happened to the talented people who designed arms like the Alphason and the Syrinx.

Thx for beeing that well received!

To answer some questions:

1) the TT's platter is a compound construction from 3 acrylic discs. Btw, only the innermost slice is blue, the outer ones are transparent. Gives a nice effect when illuminated.

2) My hometown is in the most western part of austria, about 5 hours from vienna, close to the swiss border. Alpine region, ideal for my other hobbies - my motobike and a samoyed dog. The famous skiing ressorts are just a stone's throw away.

Johann

Latest posts

Back