System #308 (CLX, Stage, Descent-i, Descent, Script-i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HRX :drool::drool::drool:

now just hire some kid from your local HIFI shop to come over and hide all those wires. I hate wires to me they distract from the beauty of the equipment I don't care how much one paid for them the only ones I do not mind seeing are from the amp to the speakers

I don't like exposed cables either. However from the listening position, the only cables you can see are those from the amplifier to the speakers.

Wires, we don't need no stinking wires:D

With the lights off, the electronic displays turned off, and your eyes closed it is really hard to see any wires. In fact, other than pitch darkness is there another way to listen to music?:rolleyes:

6. Associated Electronics: Pass Labs: XP-20/XP-15/X-ONO/X-350.5/X-3
Nordost Thor Distributors (4)
Cables/Cords: Nordost Odin/Valhalla

Is your X-350.5 plugged into one of your Thors? And what about your CLXes?

Very nice system! Too bad the pictures are not larger....this coming from a guy who always complains that pictures are too large (but only when there is reason for the complaint, of course). Justin will laugh at this, no doubt.

Who me?:D I'd never knock you, Bernard - ever!

:devil:

:D

Actually, though, I do agree!:)

Actually, though, I do agree!:)

Yeah, me too. When you've got equipment that juicy it's a shame to only see it in such small pictures. (Why am I such a picture whore? - he says to himself)

Seriously, though, I would give my eye teeth (what are those anyway?) to have an hour or two with this system. Awesome set of components and I think I'd need a LLLOOONNNGGG time to browse that record collection.

I hope you are are very happy camper babydoc! :D

Larger pictures added

Yeah, me too. When you've got equipment that juicy it's a shame to only see it in such small pictures. (Why am I such a picture whore? - he says to himself)

Seriously, though, I would give my eye teeth (what are those anyway?) to have an hour or two with this system. Awesome set of components and I think I'd need a LLLOOONNNGGG time to browse that record collection.

I hope you are are very happy camper babydoc! :D

Thank you for your kind remarks. I have added bigger pictures (as big as the size limits allow). I am in the process of getting extra arm tubes for my mono cartridges (Lyra Helikon on the Aries and a Benz Micro Ruby on the HRX). I have nearly 2000 mono lps that I enjoy. Listening with a true mono cartridge is amazing in the reduction of groove noise and the clarity of the overall sounds. The camper is quite happy!

Nice rig. What is it about us "Nordost" guys and ceramic cable lifters though? It seems that more than half of us folks who have Nordost speaker cables always have a few of those ceramc lifters in the picture... ;)

Hey, I'm a firm believer...

--Richard

7. I have made the upward journey from Ascent-i (2002) through Summits (2006) to CLX (2009). It has been an expensive climb that has proved to be worth it!

Amazing system Lawrence. Congratulations!

What did you notice different each time that you "moved up" in the Martin Logan series? Please describe the improvements in sound quality.

Thanks!

Moving up the M-L ladder

Amazing system Lawrence. Congratulations!

What did you notice different each time that you "moved up" in the Martin Logan series? Please describe the improvements in sound quality.

Thanks!

Having gone from Ascent-i to Summit to CLX, the improvements noted were as follows:
1. Imaging got better and speakers became less obstrusive.
2. Integration between higher and bass frequencies became seamless.
3. Realism of sound stage improved.

Having an all ESL system now, the speed of the low end is equal to that of the higher frequency panels. Dynamic woofers as good as they are (and I have 4 descent subs) cannot keep pace with the ESLs although they are close.

Just be certain that there is plenty of breathing room behind the panels. (at least 4 feet from the wall).

Dr. your system is to die for, I can only hope that when it is my time to leave this earth that I can visit your room briefly before I embark to my final destination.. lol Fellow Pass Lab Lover:bowdown:

Sub stuff

Having gone from Ascent-i to Summit to CLX, the improvements noted were as follows:
. . .
. . .

Having an all ESL system now, the speed of the low end is equal to that of the higher frequency panels. Dynamic woofers as good as they are (and I have 4 descent subs) cannot keep pace with the ESLs although they are close.

QUOTE]

First of all . . . . AWESOME SYTEM!!! :bowdown:

Two questions:

1. WHat are your Descent-i's sitting on and what is on top of them?

2. I had a pair of Vantages with a Descent-i and traded them in for a pair of Summits a year ago. I just could not get the Descent-i to intehrate well. Even my wife commented that she could detect the sub and it seemed to be late "after the fact" on the timing. Even though I love the bottom end of the Summits, I do miss the visceral feeling and depth that the Descent-i added to the experience. I am thinking of adding a Depth-i to the Summits as I have heard others say the smaller woofer size keeps up better with the panels. I'm just not sure about that though.

Once again, beautiful system! :rocker:

Joe M.

Sub stuff

. . .
. . .

QUOTE]

First of all . . . . AWESOME SYSTEM!!! :bowdown:

Two questions:

1. What are your Descent-i's sitting on and what is on top of them . . . .and why?

2. I had a pair of Vantages with a Descent-i and traded them in for a pair of Summits. I just could not get the Descent-i to integrate well. Even my wife commented that she could detect the sub and it seemed to be late "after the fact" on the timing. Even though I love the bottom end of the Summits, I do miss the visceral feeling and depth that the Descent-i added to the experience. I am thinking of adding a Depth-i to the Summits as I have heard others say the smaller woofer size keeps up better with the panels. I'm just not sure about that though.

Joe M.

Thanks for the kind comments

. . .
. . .

QUOTE]

First of all . . . . AWESOME SYSTEM!!! :bowdown:

Two questions:

1. What are your Descent-i's sitting on and what is on top of them . . . .and why?

2. I had a pair of Vantages with a Descent-i and traded them in for a pair of Summits. I just could not get the Descent-i to integrate well. Even my wife commented that she could detect the sub and it seemed to be late "after the fact" on the timing. Even though I love the bottom end of the Summits, I do miss the visceral feeling and depth that the Descent-i added to the experience. I am thinking of adding a Depth-i to the Summits as I have heard others say the smaller woofer size keeps up better with the panels. I'm just not sure about that though.

Joe M.

Thanks for the kind comments, Joe. I first got a pair of Descents when I had my Ascent-i's. These got relegated to the rear and I put a pair of Descent-i's in the front when I got a pair of Summits. All of these stayed when I upgraded to CLX's. When properly adjusted, the bass is seamlessly integrated into the system.
In answer to question 1, the subs are on SoundGuard isolation platforms. These are very heavy duty metal loaded with proprietary particles. They are among the very best platforms ever made but unfortunately are discontinued.
You might find some on the used market for a very cheap price.
Question 2. I would not go that way. The Descent-i subwoofer is a very good match for the woofers in the Summit (same size and design). If you could get a pair, that would be the way to go. Having multiple subs can eliminate bass nodes in your room and make the issue you had before go away completely.
Final points. You did not mention the dimensions of your listening room or speaker placement. This is important to your decisions. If your room is small, then there is the risk of bass overload with even one sub. If you decide to get into M-L subs again, you should experiment carefully with the phase and volume controls. These are very flexible speakers and with some time and effort will mate very well with the panels.

Room size

Final points. You did not mention the dimensions of your listening room or speaker placement. This is important to your decisions. If your room is small, then there is the risk of bass overload with even one sub. If you decide to get into M-L subs again, you should experiment carefully with the phase and volume controls. These are very flexible speakers and with some time and effort will mate very well with the panels.

Actually my system is upstairs right now, and that room is 15 x 19 with the speakers on the 19 foot wall. Actually the room extends out to one side even longer because the foyer is right there.

My basement is in the process of being done right now. The room size is set up exactly as upstairs, BUT the speakers would be on the 15 foot wall instead, which is the better set up. Up stairs the ceiling is mostly 12 feet high, as there is sloped area toward one side but not enough to make much of a difference. Now the basement ceiling, in the area where the stereo would go, is only going to be 7 feet tall! It will have a drop ceiling. I'm also going to put some R13 insulation between most of the joists, where there is not any heating duct work. I wired it for side speakers and a single centered back speaker in an arch. I am a two channel guy, but I thought I should wire it for surrounds just in case :)) There would be an open space about 8 feet wide on the right side, as there is another room to that side.

Joe

Room Dimensions

Actually my system is upstairs right now, and that room is 15 x 19 with the speakers on the 19 foot wall. Actually the room extends out to one side even longer because the foyer is right there.

My basement is in the process of being done right now. The room size is set up exactly as upstairs, BUT the speakers would be on the 15 foot wall instead, which is the better set up. Up stairs the ceiling is mostly 12 feet high, as there is sloped area toward one side but not enough to make much of a difference. Now the basement ceiling, in the area where the stereo would go, is only going to be 7 feet tall! It will have a drop ceiling. I'm also going to put some R13 insulation between most of the joists, where there is not any heating duct work. I wired it for side speakers and a single centered back speaker in an arch. I am a two channel guy, but I thought I should wire it for surrounds just in case :)) There would be an open space about 8 feet wide on the right side, as there is another room to that side.

Joe

Joe, this is a decent sized room. The low ceiling will definitely give you more bass reinforcement as the room volume is much less than what you are currently using for your speakers. With Summits you may not need a subwoofer since they have two power bass drivers each. You should try the system as it is and see how you like the bass energy. If it seems sufficient for two channel listening, then you are set. If you seem to be missing the lowest octave impact, then I would start out with only one sub, off to one side.

Ceiling insulation

Joe, this is a decent sized room. The low ceiling will definitely give you more bass reinforcement as the room volume is much less than what you are currently using for your speakers. With Summits you may not need a subwoofer since they have two power bass drivers each. You should try the system as it is and see how you like the bass energy. If it seems sufficient for two channel listening, then you are set. If you seem to be missing the lowest octave impact, then I would start out with only one sub, off to one side.

Thanks again for the feedback. I really want the ceiling raised from the wall where the speakers are, back to about 15 feet, which is where the duct work is, but the "builder" still insists I should keep the hight at the same level throughout. There is a beam running through the listening area mayve 10 feet from the wall, messing things up! I've never heard Summits in a room with such a low (7')ceiling.

Your opinion again please . . . .

I am thinking of putting additional R13 insulation in the joists overhead from the front wall, to about 4 feet behind where the couch will go. I cannot do all of the 'bays" as there are a couple of heating runs in the area as well as some other obstacles. Still, I could do a substantial amout of ceiling. I did put the insulation in both side walls, the front wall and the three small 18" back walls. There are two arches about 6 feet wide in the back. There is an 18" return wall, then the open arch, a center 18" wall, another open arch, and then another 18" return wall. Speaker wire was run to the sides and the back center. The walls of course will be dry walled.

THE question is, would putting R13 in the ceiling deaden the room too much? Help or hurt the bass response?

I can't wait for this project to be finished. Dry wall sanding comes next. Needless to say my Summits and equipment will be covered soon :eek:!

Thanks.

Joe

Back