System #262 (Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to get a turntable and set it right on top! My wallet is spent so it will have to wait for a bit.

I've now turned the 35hz adjustment on each woofer to -7db and I have eliminated tons of the bass overload I was getting. It sounds just fantastic.

I comletely agree with your comparison of the Spires versus the Summits. I heard them side by side at the local Magnolia store. I thought the Spires sounded clearer with a little less bass, although it seemed tighter. The Summits still sound awesome, but I liked the Spires better. I hope to pick up a set of them myself within the next year. Nice setup.

I have compared Spires directly with Summits on the same wall with the same gear. I always have loved Summits and never had any complaints about them in any way. What is really interesting is that the Spires make the Summits sound like its' bass colors the midrange a bit. I'm not saying that Summits sound colored or muddy but hearing them after hearing the Spires made me feel that way.

When I say 'cleanest sounding' I guess the best way I can describe that is a direct comparison to the CLX. The CLX just sounds to free of anything that could potentially get in the way of the music. The Spires a similar kind of quality. The sound is in my opinion more like a finely tuned Summit with less bass. Their new crossover is brilliant and I will be very curious to hear the Summit X.

These speakers are crushing my room. The bass gets a bit out of control when I start cranking but at a medium volume they sound fantastic. I have a bit more work to do with placement but that will come after the panels are broken in. In the meantime I will be enjoying these along with a nice Maker's on the rocks.

My speakers are finally broken in and ready to go. Spires are definitely the most transparent speaker I have heard in the Martin Logan line besides the CLX. The music is presented purely without any noticeable coloration throughout the frequency spectrum.

The way these speakers perform forces me to keep talking about how finely tuned and well implemented this new crossover is. The seamless integration between panel and woofer makes this new ML very special and shows how the brilliant designers in Lawrence Kansas are truly improving their product with each generation. The Spires may physically look like a lesser Summit but if your room or your taste doesn't require the extra bass and you want a cleaner, more lifelike stage and presentation these speakers should absolutely fit the bill even with a smaller budget.

Overall I can't say that these speakers are warm or bright, slow or fast, analytical or smooth. I can say that the overall sound is incredibly defined and holographic. These speakers get out of the way of the music and present present it with a purity that I can only describe as a delicate refinement and evolution of the Martin Logan sound you know and love. I would recommend them to anybody that loves the sound of ESL loudspeakers.

This may seem like an obvious answer due to your screen name...

Are you the same Will that plays drums for Omni?

Ha! I knew it... Andy Yeckel here. I didn't know you were an ML fan.
I'll have to come to your next show when I get a chance.

Hey Andy! We're playing November 7th at the Rendezvous for a breast cancer benefit show.

Feltran: Where did you see us play?

I'm not sure, that was a long time ago! At the time, I was dating a girl who was a fan of the band. She went to Kentlake high school, I think it might have been at the school.

Wow, I love what you guys ended up doing with your website. Had it not been completed so well I would have hooked you guys up with a killer deal on a new one.
I'm gonna try and make it out to your next show. Maybe talk a bit about your setup as well as I'm looking into a pair of demo Summits.

Latest posts

Back