System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that idea of using the DAC.... I would've ripped all my CDs using FLAC if my iPod could support that format. I do use my iPod almost daily, so it's important that I pick a format that can be used by the Squeezebox AND my iPod.

There is such a format... Apple Lossless! You can specify that in iTunes.

The Squeezebox will transcode Apple Lossless to FLAC, which uses a bit more system resources, but if running SqueezeCenter on a decent computer, you won't notice it. Also, you won't be able to REW or FF while playing tracks (that feature only works for FLAC), but otherwise, Apple Lossless and FLAC sound quality should be identical.

As for the iPod, Apple Lossless files are much larger than their compressed brethren, so you'll have less song capacity, but the improvement in sonics, even on the iPod, is well worth it! Try it!

I also second the motion to get an audiophile-grade outboard DAC (plenty of great used ones on A'gon). If it has both optical and SPDIF inputs, you could use it for both your Squeezebox and CD changer/player (but won't work for SACD's).

What Alan said. But yes, even if you don't use the SB, using a DAC with a CD player will still give more flexibility in my opinion - especially to move to using the SB in the future.

Also, it's not too hard to use something like dBPowerAmp to transcode your Apple Lossless or FLAC files to compressed formats for your iPod. But if you've got a larger iPod then just use Apple Lossless on it - the difference is substantial using my Audio Technicas.

Last edited:
I have a SB3 going into a dac and it doesn't come close to my Mac Mini going through a Wavelength dac. There is no comparison between that and my high end CDP. Think what you want...

Oh, and never swapping a CD out and controlling with my itouch. Can't beat it!!!!

I have a SB3 going into a dac and it doesn't come close to my Mac Mini going through a Wavelength dac...

What DAC are you using with the SB3? Also, are you using the standard SB3 switching power supply, or an upgraded linear one?

What DAC are you using with the SB3? Also, are you using the standard SB3 switching power supply, or an upgraded linear one?

I have an upgrade linear power supply and I've run it through the internal dac in the Opus 21 as well as two other external dacs.

Sorry Tom! Didn't mean to hijack your system thread!

I think we'd all agree that the quality of the DAC is key for getting audiophile grade sound out of a computer/server system. You certainly have lots of options to head in that direction.

Any plans to add corner bass traps and/or other acoustic treatments?

When you have time you have no money. When you have money you have no time !

Vicious cycle.......;)

Got the Anthem D2 in the system and spent most of yesterday playing with it along with the ARC (Anthem Room Correction) system.

WOW!!

new pictures will come next week... Very happy with this purchase.

Sweet Tom!!! Your system is looking great:bowdown:. And those Summit's just complete the whole room. Keep enjoying those new toys:music:.

Glen

Tom,

The system looks nice, but looking back thru the pix of your system upgrades, it is clear to me that you have an obsession with clocks.

So what was the upgrade path to the current clock?

They seem to be getting pretty fancy:ROFL:

No clock fetish here. the earlier clocks all stopped working at some point, so it was just getting a different clock when one ceased.

I do like the clock we have in there now.. it's interesting to watch the gears move, etc.

Interesting, each time you upgrade your system the clock on the wall stops working, coincidence, I don't think so.

Interesting, each time you upgrade your system the clock on the wall stops working, coincidence, I don't think so.

That's the secret, ya see, but it's the other way round. Tom's clocks aren't for telling time, they're for counting down the time 'til his next upgrade. When the clock stops, an upgrade (and a new clock) must be purchased to prevent the space/time fabric from collapsing in on itself! :eek: (OK, I've just finished watching Torchwood...)

So Torchwood makes it to Canada? Cool... seen the 5 part "456" one yet? Pretty good. Great in HD too.

I guess you must get Dr Who as well. Such a shame it is not in HD. Can't fathom that one...

Back