Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Sunday Morning Music started Friday when I hooked up the new Spires.

Attachments

• 0000aSpire2.jpg
    0000aSpire2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 240
Nice Satch!

Listened to Dan Tyminski - Wheels, excellent guitar and mandolin!

The latest Lucinda Williams release Little Honey is a great, clean recording!

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 241
I just had to mention the Canadian Brass, if any one has heard them. Just bought the CD "Amazing Brass", this will break in your mids and highs and mild bass. The separation and clean sound is astounding!

Haven't posted in a while.

First off was Tosca - Suzuki; Mellow electronic/avantgarde-ish music. Interesting time signatures too.

Next was Kid Rock - Rock 'n' Roll Jesus - surprisingly good album and surprisingly well recorded.

Attachments

• su.jpg
    su.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 203
  • kr.jpg
    kr.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 207
Sunday morning selection...

is starting off with a little Jazz courtesy of Harry Waters. Son of the legendary Roger Waters.

Attachments

• harry.jpg
    harry.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 181
You beat me to it - I guess NZ is the only place to see Sunday before me!

Started off with Imogen Cooper and Friends (with the Australian Chamber Orchestra)
Disc 1 - Various Mozart pieces
Disc 2 - Various Schubert pieces

then...

John Fogerty - Centrefield.

Attachments

• ic.jpg
    ic.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 177
  • jf.jpg
    jf.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Sunday morning cont....

After enjoying Harry Waters it was the turn of local girl Fiona Mcdonald ( ex. headless chickens ) to fill my room with sound. A great album:

Attachments

• fiona..jpg
    fiona..jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 173
Man, it's been a month of Sundays (literally) since I've been able to sit down and listen to some tunes on Sunday morning!

I started last night and continued this morning listening to a 9 LP set of the Beethoven Symphony cycle with Karl Bohm conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker on Deutsche Grammophon.

Showtime has a new show called "Nurse Jackie" and in their ad's they've been playing the Ozark Mountain Daredevils song "Jackie Blue". I always liked that song, and the album it came off of "It'll Shine When it Shines". Recorded in 1974, it exhibits the compressed soundstage that seemed quite prevalent in the 70's - just as wide as the speakers and about 2 ft. deep. Luckily the music overcomes the sonic shortcomings. I haven't listened to this album in 25 years, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Last up was Dire Straits live album "Alchemy", a very good sounding live recording with some great performances from their prime.

Attachments

• BeethovenOMDDireStraits.jpg
    BeethovenOMDDireStraits.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 164
mozart's mass in c minor was my choice this Sunday morning

after that I was up and going!

Attachments

• 31069720_306x300.jpg
    31069720_306x300.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 160
We're right in the middle of a heat wave down here in Texas! I've seen temps reach 107 F in the last couple of days and there is no relief in sight. Therefore, it is good to stay inside and listen to music. :rocker:

First up was the double CD compilation, "Travelogue", by Joni Mitchell. This is a very richly produced album by Larry Klein and Joni and is a rearrangement of twenty two of her songs.
After listening to Joni, I was ready for some more upbeat music and "Keep Your Soul", a tribute to Doug Sahm was just the ticket. Mostly, I don't care for too many tribute albums, as they really don't sound much like the original performers, but this album does. If you didn't know it was a tribute album, you'd easily recognize it as Doug Sahm's music. Very highly recommended!

576082234_2QnkW-M.jpg

Got in a couple of female vocal discs this AM.

Started with Diana Krall - Live in Paris, great paper reading music!

Finished with the UK songstress Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You, in your face lyrics and a well recorded disc, good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 98
I Wayne Lava Ground a big double album of roots style reggae. Makes me want to light up a spliff.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 286
A Day of DMP

Too hot today to go outside, decided to brew some Iced Mochas and read the NY Times from cover to cover with some of my friends from DMP.

Attachments

• DMPSmall.jpg
    DMPSmall.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 289
My "Sunday Morning Listening", was really yesterday morning and this afternoon. Yesterday, I listened to Tori Amos', "Abnormally Attracted to Sin". I thought this was an interesting title for an album and she looked pretty good and I have heard a song or two from her in the past that was (were) pretty good. I can't recommend this one though. The title song is kind of catchy, but overall this album is just pop drivel, which may be ok if that's your thing.
582888104_XXRXE-M.jpg

All the albums I listened to today I can heartily recommend. First up was Townes van Zandt's, "Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas". Very well recorded, for being in a small club. Excellent songs, from an excellent song writer.
582888372_AVYwd-M.jpg

Next was a 45RPM rerelease of Coltrane's, "Giant Steps" and yes, it does sound even better than my 33 &1/3 version.
582888272_FdH23-M.jpg

Last, but not least was "Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio". Excellent!
582888187_qbnVZ-M.jpg

My "Sunday Morning Listening", was really yesterday morning and this afternoon. Yesterday, I listened to Tori Amos', "Abnormally Attracted to Sin". I thought this was an interesting title for an album and she looked pretty good and I have heard a song or two from her in the past that was (were) pretty good. I can't recommend this one though. The title song is kind of catchy, but overall this album is just pop drivel, which may be ok if that's your thing.
For those that like Tori Amos, "The BeeKeeper" and "Scarlet's Walk" are ones to consider. Like you 'Geezr,I did not like her latest.

Fourth of July weekend..... perfect time for David Osborne's...Red, White and Blue !

Attachments

• 21K6WX4A00L._SL160_[1].jpg
    21K6WX4A00L._SL160_[1].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 234
Back