Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it was not a sunday morning but this was a pleasent surprise once I listened to it for the first time. I obtained this record with a few others from my girlfriends grandmothers collection who passed away a little while ago.

This recording was from 1966 of Herbie Mann live at the Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island. My favorite track on this record is Mushi Mushi, I'll tell you if your head ain't boppin and your feet tapping away after the first half minute of this track it will be by the second half minute and thru the rest of the 5:45.

The rest of the album is pretty good to, four tracks total and a total time of about 34 minutes. Surprisingly the recording is pretty good for an older live recording with a lot of spacial definition. Somehow the record is in excellent condition. There was a slight indication, only minimal, for the last few minutes that the left channel exposed as the cartridge tracked the inner grooves and chattered some but only a small amount as though the player used at that time had no or a poorly adjusted anti-skating wearing the undulations of the groove.

The only thing I would like more of is a more discrete close miking technique of the drums for more impact but I guess this is how some jazz recordings were recorded especially 40+ years ago!

Attachments

• Aug 009b.jpg
    Aug 009b.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I'm into cars and racing but what do you guys think I should do with this? 1967 recording, unopened and still sealed...

Attachments

• Aug 012b.jpg
    Aug 012b.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Rear. I don't think it is worth anything, that's not what I'm after...just never saw anything like it!

Attachments

• Aug 013c.jpg
    Aug 013c.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 143
James,

I think (a long time ago) I heard another album similar to what this one is probably like. That is I think it is all just the sounds of the race cars passing by, announcers and probably some interviews with the drivers and pit crew. I'm sure it's not going to challenge the systems performance but should be interesting. I'll probably give it one listen and tuck it away for another 40 years...pictures are kind of interesting.

Anyone notice how the drivers, pre-race, are at a "ready-set-go" stance to run to their perspective race car?

I accumulated about a half dozen old records. I think it is interesting how the record companies quoted the new stereo sound reproduction. I am not making fun of these at all, in fact at the time it was the best we knew...Here's a few quotes right off the rear album covers:

1966 "Stereo - Full Dynamics-frequency spectrum"

1959 "Stereo - for discriminating people who desire the finest in sound"

"Stereo Long Playing"

1959 "Full stereo, the ultimate in HI-FI", "This is a true HI-FI stereophonic record! For proper stereo reproduction use RIAA equalization setting."

1960 "High Fidelity RIAA"

1957 " RCA Victor New Orthophonic high fidelity recording", Make sure your needle is in good condition before you play this record. If in doubt, have it checked by your dealer - or buy a new needle."

RIAA or Recording Industry Association of America was responsible for using a pre-emphasis equalization curve on our records in order to get more information into the grooves and to avoid tracking problems or cutting lathes from overcutting bass frequencies. Similar concept as what was used in noise reduction using Dolby or Dbx for tape, however not necessarily noise reduction. If you think about it the velocity which that little needle sees underneath its gleaming surface is very fast at any given moment. When played back the RIAA curve set up in our phono pre-amps has to mirror that de-emphasis curve exactly to reproduce the original recording.

Last edited:
I think (a long time ago) I heard another album similar to what this one is probably like. That is I think it is all just the sounds of the race cars passing by, announcers and probably some interviews with the drivers and pit crew. I'm sure it's not going to challenge the systems performance but should be interesting. I'll probably give it one listen and tuck it away for another 40 years...pictures are kind of interesting.

I have three CD's of that kind of stuff! Very cool! Not something you want to listen to often, but still very interesting to listen to the cars...well, it is interesting for a major car geek like me anyway!

A must have IMHO...

... is the following album, on repeat since this morning.

Actually, it's a double CD album, 38 tracks total.

Music for Loving - Ben Webster with Strings

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 133
Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. I bought this disc used for about $6 and it's among the best recordings I own. The disc on this CD is different from most redbook CDs. It's a gold color instead of the usual silver. The label is Giant Records by Warner Bros but there is no indication of it being anything other than redbook.

I have most of the Steely Dan recordings and they are consistently well done including the solo records by Donald Fagen (try Morph the Cat). The bass is always tight and with a kick to it but not overdone.

Attachments

• 2 against nature.jpg
    2 against nature.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Loudon Wainwright III

:D My little sis just recommended this most excellent CD last week...
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed "So Damn Happy" so I thought I'd pass on her recommendation to my friends at the ML Club. :music:

Attachments

• Louden Wainwright lll - So Damn Happy.jpg
    Louden Wainwright lll - So Damn Happy.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 118
After driving back to San Antonio from Round Rock today I was in the mood for some old stuff, something different. I pulled out the "Sir Douglas Quintet is Back" album and gave a listen. For those of you that may not know the group, they had a huge hit in 1965 called, "It's About A Mover". Now, maybe some of you older gentlepersons may remember them? The quintet is named after its leader, Doug Sahm, who is quite famous in Texas and famous in California for their song, "Mendocino". Anyway, back in the mid '60s, they were being pushed as America's answer to the British Invasion; check out the hair. :rocker:

Next, I wanted to hear Doug as he was in the '70s, so I pulled out an original 1974 copy (No, it's not for sale!) of "Groover's Paradise". By this time, Doug was back in Texas and making with the groovy Tex-Mex trippin' music. Man. If you've never heard Sir Douglas, I heartily recommend just about anything he ever did. I think one of his last albums was in '94 (he died in '95) called, "The Last Real Texas Blues Band". It's great.
180795076-O.jpg

After listening to Doug, I got in a groove and decided to give an old Patti Smith album, "Dream of Life", a listen. She's very poetic and a bit of a dreamer on this album, but it's a nice listen.

Last up was Spoon's, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga". I really like this album. Talented group. Sounds amazing on the MLs.
180795209-O.jpg

Hey Geezr,

I almost bought the Spoon album last weekend. Can you post any more thoughts/impressions on it?

Last edited:
Kruppy,

If I had to say who they sounded the most like, I would say Wilco. But, they are different and have their own sound. I'd like to say that the record's sound quality is excellent, by the way. But it is the music that draws one in. The first song starts with a single rhythm guitar that jumps out of the right channel as if it is in the room with you. It is joined by drums bass and piano. The tunes sometimes seem like pop, but have so much more going on. I think they use each instrument to amazing effect. After listening to one song, you realize it was held together with the sound of a tamborine, but you don't realize it until it stops. The song lyrics are excellent. For example,the first song (Don't Make Me A Target)is political, but doesn't have the feel of the typical political song. Anyway, I really enjoy listening to the album and think you might like it, too.

Kruppy,

If I had to say who they sounded the most like, I would say Wilco. But, they are different and have their own sound. I'd like to say that the record's sound quality is excellent, by the way. But it is the music that draws one in. The first song starts with a single rhythm guitar that jumps out of the right channel as if it is in the room with you. It is joined by drums bass and piano. The tunes sometimes seem like pop, but have so much more going on. I think they use each instrument to amazing effect. After listening to one song, you realize it was held together with the sound of a tamborine, but you don't realize it until it stops. The song lyrics are excellent. For example,the first song (Don't Make Me A Target)is political, but doesn't have the feel of the typical political song. Anyway, I really enjoy listening to the album and think you might like it, too.

I think I'll give it a try, thanks!

School Kids Records in Ann Arbor has closed up it's "in exile" location, just selling on-line now. On the last day I purchased some vinyl...................and played in on Sunday while it rained.

Morrissey (2004)

Jimmy Smith (from 1966 - a Russian reissue)

Bird and Bee

Gnarls Barkley (Crazy)

I now regret not picking up some Depeche Mode on 180 gram, they had some import Joy Division on vinyl too.:eek: .

School Kids Records in Ann Arbor has closed up it's "in exile" location, just selling on-line now. On the last day I purchased some vinyl...................and played in on Sunday while it rained.

Morrissey (2004)

Jimmy Smith (from 1966 - a Russian reissue)

Bird and Bee

Gnarls Barkley (Crazy)

I now regret not picking up some Depeche Mode on 180 gram, they had some import Joy Division on vinyl too.:eek: .

How is that Gnarls Barkley album? I really like the title song. It's funny, I heard it on the radio in Austin the other day, being performed by a local female singer. It was kind of cool hearing it with a little Texas twang!

Latest posts

Back