Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blaffler

I recently purchased the ML Summits and was wondering if anyone can advise on the recommended receiver to go with these? I currently have a Denon 7.1.

Simply - don't use a receiver. Try to use separates. Use a preamp with a pass-thru so you can use a pre-pro for multichannel and movies. This speaker needs and wants all the quality it can get.

The only receiver I would use is a Sunfire TGR-3, but I agree seperates would be better

As they said...

The greatest compromise in a receiver is the use of a single power supply for all three sections (the pre amp, power amp and tuner). The needs of the power amp section affect the preamp section. The result is receivers are not as smooth, effortless, open and full sounding as separates.

Not to highjack the thread, but is it possible to achieve HT bypass if you don't use a pre? I'm using cdp to dac to amp right now and would like to incorporated this into my HTpre/pro without using the pre/pro for 2 channel purposes. Make any sense?

As for the poster, I would definitley not use a receiver to power Summits or any other top of the line speaker. You will notice the difference immediately and it won't be subtle.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the ML Summits and was wondering if anyone can advise on the recommended receiver to go with these? I currently have a Denon 7.1.

That GINORMOUS Denon top of the line rack hog would probably be fine, but anything below that would just be to sad to pair with these AWESOME speakers. That said, separates would still be MUCH BETTER!

I think my Rotel gear was probably less expensive than that TOL Denon and while I have not heard one of those probably sounds better too. It is pretty awesome. Also, if you go that route you can play more!!! :D

You can change amps out, Pre/Pro when you get the urge... Just more fun, and probably more bling too! You gotta think about those things! :haha1:

You have a GREAT pair of speakers...feed them well!

Blaffler,

No receiver is recommended.

A pair of Summits gives you one speaker on the left and another on the right. Two channels, of very high quality when paired right. So get good two channel amplification for them, i.e. separates, now, and enjoy the music. Add a modest receiver for your HT needs (using passthrough like alive@5 suggested to integrate the front channels).

Or get a really good multi-channel pre-pro which also excels at two channel music reproduction, such as the Arcam AV9, and add 5 to 7 power amp channels as needed. That won't be cheap, though.

I have the Sunfire TG3 and think it sounds Fantastic... but as I said before, it may sound even better w/ separates... but for the immediate future, I'll never know. I'm 50/50 Movie/Music so my needs may be different than most on this forum.

V8 with four cylinders firing

You have an incredible speaker system. Unfortunately, IMHO, you won't even get close to reaching their potential with 99.9% of receivers currently on the market. One possible candidate is the Lexicon but that is a very pricey piece and, within that price context, you can certainly find separates that will work reasonably well with the Summits.

GG

Do not think of using Receiver Amp with this super speaker. You will miss hellava lot using a a receiver. I am using Cary SLP-05 with Plinius SA-102. Do not forget to use a high end CD player or a turntable. I am using WADIA 861 and SME 10 Turntable with SME Sr V with Shelter 501 Mk II cartridge. You cannot also compromise on the interconnects, speaker cables and the power cables. Once you have Summit you rather go for High End stuff to optimize the investment - may not be at one go if you cannot afford but gradually.

Since you already have a receiver, why not start by purchasing a good 2 channel amp and then using it to power your Summits using your receiver as a pre. There's pre-outs on your Denon that you would feed into the outboard amp and then connect your Summits to that amp.

Later on you can go with separates if you still desire.

That is what I'm doing with a Denon AVR4800 and it sounds pretty good! I'm dreaming of separates and will someday go that route like most of the others who have chimed in...

Tom.

I've got to agree with pretty much everyone here. Your Summit's deserve the very best. Well chosen seperates will give you more music than you're probably aware of right now. My analogy is that you're pretty much driving a Ferrarri on a dirt road...

easy there....I've driven many Ferraris on dirt roads. It's actually very fun & exciting....:D

easy there....I've driven many Ferraris on dirt roads. It's actually very fun & exciting....:D

yeah, but what Tim forgot to add was that your timing was retarded by at least 10 degrees !!

HI blaffler,
Who ever sold you these speakers must have advised you on mating electronics. If they were trying to sell you a receiver, that person should be taken out and shot behind the barn. In case you don't know, you have purchased some of the finest speakers in the world. They will show every defect in your system. Many speakers will gloss over the nasty details but not the Summits.

When a person commits to speakers of the quality of Summits, you must also commit to providing the best possible electronics, period. That means expensive electronics. That means separates and not just any separates but great separates. If you are not willing to go this route, sell the Summits and buy a more forgiving speaker. With a receiver driving them you are wasting your money.

Personally, I hope you make the commitment for the proper electronics. If you do, you will have sound to die for. Only then will you know what all the fuss is about.

Sparky

yeah, but what Tim forgot to add was that your timing was retarded by at least 10 degrees !!

Actually, not. being that I am factory trained....I don't think so.:D

Yes, but does it really reveal the potential of the automobile? That was my point.

Although, turning a Ferrari into an off road drift car probably is a kick in the pants;)

Yes, but does it really reveal the potential of the automobile? That was my point.

Although, turning a Ferrari into an off road drift car probably is a kick in the pants;)

I'd probably cry.

These cars do not deserve such a fate!

Back