Summits with Depth i subs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
So, I got some new to me Summits yesterday. I hooked them up into my rig to insure the speakers are working. Good news for me they work just fine.

When I was running the Monoliths IIIx I was running (2) depth i subs and it helped fill out the bottom end. In the short amount of time I have listened to the Summits I do not feel these speakers are lacking bass even in the bottom. Do other Summit owners run these with an external sub? If so what do you set the sub crossover for? Is it needed or do I have (2) Depth i going up for sale?

Thanks,

Cherian

So, I got some new to me Summits yesterday. I hooked them up into my rig to insure the speakers are working. Good news for me they work just fine.

When I was running the Monoliths IIIx I was running (2) depth i subs and it helped fill out the bottom end. In the short amount of time I have listened to the Summits I do not feel these speakers are lacking bass even in the bottom. Do other Summit owners run these with an external sub? If so what do you set the sub crossover for? Is it needed or do I have (2) Depth i going up for sale?

Thanks,

Cherian

I originally had Summit X’s Without subs. Eventually I wanted to try them. I had Shawn bing two Descent i’s he connected one first and that one made a big difference so I asked him to bring in the second one. Well what can I say he left with no subs. Yes the frequency response says the Summits go low but nothing beats a pair of great subs.

I originally had Summit X’s Without subs. Eventually I wanted to try them. I had Shawn bing two Descent i’s he connected one first and that one made a big difference so I asked him to bring in the second one. Well what can I say he left with no subs. Yes the frequency response says the Summits go low but nothing beats a pair of great subs.

It not about quantity of bass, it's about quality. Splitting the ultra-low (<60Hz) bass out of the main speakers allows them to deliver lower distortion bass / mid-bass.
Being able to place one or two subs in areas of the room that fill in-nulls or counteract (or avoid) peaks is what improves the quality (and yes, Quantity as well if you need it) of the bass throughout the room.

Cherian, you might have gotten lucky, and the location of the new Summits just happens to work with your room acoustics, but I'd give the subs a try.

Not sure what the overall room shape and sub position options are, but per the Harman research, and my own tests and measurements, mid-wall front and mid-wall rear of the room are excellent locations for 2 subs.

Just last night I was watching some Tennis in the small media room, and then switched to playing some music for a bit and was blown away (again) by how smooth the bass is in the crazy bad room thanks to four subs. I mean very good bass performance from some pretty cheap gear, and the trick is the four subs and their tuning. Here is the thread on that media room with the four subs.

Back