Summits vs. X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI SJ,
Sorry, you must smoke to qualify for our best advice. That's because we do our best thinking when smoking. :p

I do apologize for derailing your thread. I'm surprised I got any response at all. I can't help you but I'm sure others will (even if you don't smoke; we are very forgiving types).

Sparky

Although the smoking component of this thread has been interesting, could someone give me feedback? ;)

Oh, is that what this thread was about? ;)

I think the Summits are an incredible speaker and will sound incredible in your room. I also think they will not sound nearly as good as they are capable of if you aren't able to give them a little room to breathe. In that regard, they are not much different than any high-end speaker. If you can't set them up according to recommendations, they won't sound as good as they could.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether it is worth it to spend the premium on the Summits if you can't necessarily set them up in the recommended manner. Perhaps for this size room you should consider a smaller speaker like the Vantage or Vista.

Ultimately, we can give you all kinds of opinions but we can't tell you what you want to know, which is how the Summits will sound in your room. Only an audition in your room with your equipment can tell you that.

Could the group also give me feedback on how Summits will perform in my current setup? The room is fairly small (11x16 with 8' ceilings). I will only beable to have the Summits a maximum of one foot from the back and side walls (vs. the recomendations in the manual). Thanks.

Not sure if you mentioned your upstream componetry but given your small room and the fact that you won't be able to set up a five figure pair of speakers the way they should be, I'd say save your money !! Even if you do enjoy 'nearfield' listening buy the Vantages( I'd still give them more 'air' to breath) and put the balance into accousical room treatments and upstream componets.

Last edited:
Not sure if you mentioned your upstream componetry but given your small room and the fact that you won't be able to set up a five figure pair of speakers the way they should be, I'd say save your money !! Even if you do enjoy 'nearfield' listening buy the Vantages( I'd still give them more 'air' to breath) and put the balance into accousical room treatments and upstream componets.

I'm currently using a Sunfire TGIV processor and a Sunfire 5 channel amp. I listened to the Vantages and for some reason did not like the sound. They seemed rather harsh to me vs. the Summits which sounded fantastic. I currently have all KEF speakers. Thanks.

Trust me there IS NOT that kind of difference between the two, so something is wrong with the way they were presented or the speakers them selves. Regardless, given your demensional constraints you will unfortunately never realize their full potential should you decide and go forward with the set-up you described.

Is a in-home audition a possibility ??

Trust me there IS NOT that kind of difference between the two, so something is wrong with the way they were presented or the speakers them selves. Regardless, given your demensional constraints you will unfortunately never realize their full potential should you decide and go forward with the set-up you described.

Is a in-home audition a possibility ??

You are probably correct. I'll try out the Vantages in another store. We have several in the area which are ML dealers. The harshness was mainly in the upper range. I got tired of listening to them after 10 minutes! The Summits on the other hand sounded fantastic.

Make sure to play with the bass settings as maybe this was fiddled and off-kilter with the Vantages. The Summits are better, but I'm not sure they have totally different aural presentations.

Joey

Good luck, my friend! Have fun!

Back