Summits vs. their replacements ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard991

Reaction score
anyone have any info on what the Summits replacement will have that these don't ?
I have heard rumors of XO changes
Just bought a new pr , only to find out they are discontinued ...great ! ;(
thanks

I wouldn't panic.

The Summit is still an incredibly good speaker. It's always tough for a mfr. when they get near the point of introducing a new model...

When do you pull the trigger on the old one and risk alienating the customer that just bought the last model?

And, you can always update em later, if you feel the need. Even if you don't, you can take that speaker an awfully long way before you are at the limit of what the speaker can resolve.

thanks for those two replies ...
I was comparing the specs / details of the Summ and Spire and the only difference I could see listed was the XO..... I feel a little better now that an upgrade path may be possible ...phew

ain't audiophoolery wonderful and awful at the same time !

Has anyone compared the Summit to the Spire? My dealer prefers the Spire but he always favors smaller and faster woofers and I am the opposite.

Many discussions on smaller equates to faster woofers - it is not about size but design.

Many discussions on smaller equates to faster woofers - it is not about size but design.

True. But some folks will take a smaller woofer from the same company rather than a larger one. Examples: Odyssey over Prodigy and B&W 803D over 802D and the list goes on. Others (like me) want to really hear the "heft" when (and only when) it is there and over the years the smaller sometimes more articulate and faster smaller woofers don't impart that realism for a good deal of the music that I prefer. Which is why I am interested is hearing about any comparisons between the Summit and Spire. Particularly, since the Summits can be had at "reasonable" prices.

anyone have any info on what the Summits replacement will have that these don't ?
I have heard rumors of XO changes
Just bought a new pr , only to find out they are discontinued ...great ! ;(
thanks

If you bought recently, say within the last couple of weeks, I'm surprised your dealer didn't make you aware of this. This Club has known that the Summit was going to be upgraded for about a month or so.

GG

PS: No need to regret your decision. I trust you will be impressed by your current iteration, as have many others who own this outstanding speaker.

Last edited:
didnt really buy from a dealer directly ...online and did not research the Summs from the perspective of being current ....assumed that they would be around for awhile ,( a guy should never do that I know ) I have been using SL3's '95 vintage so I hope to hear an improvement over these really not too bad spkrs , when I receive them
as for the discontinuance ...I just hope that an upgrade is possible down the road

Has anyone compared the Summit to the Spire? My dealer prefers the Spire but he always favors smaller and faster woofers and I am the opposite.

Not a huge diff.

The Spire has one 10" woofer, where the Summit has two. Spire has new crossover bits derived from the CLX, but this should be made available when the Summit X is available.

Summit goes down a bit deeper with more force because of the 2nd woofer, but most of all has adjustments at 25 and 50 hz, where the Spire only has one adjustment at 35hz. Personally after having both, the new Spire is a touch cleaner and more resolving in the mids, but in my room, because I have a known bump at about 42hz, I can dial the Summit into my room a slightly bit better.

Again, both are very, very good. I'm using the Spires right now with a Descent, waiting for CLX's... Loved my Summits for the last year and had absolutely NO complaints whatsoever.

When those CLX's come, tonepub, you have my permission to dedicate a review to a nice new thread! And everyone else's permission, I would guess. Lots of pics, too, please. I know we've seen them, but some more never hurts.

The hi-fi reviewers life... it's just SO HARD! Imagine having to put up with a pair of CLXs - I dunno how you get by...:)

Is it a personal pair? Or a dem pair?

I'm leaning towards purchase. I let one of our other staffers and
my oldest audio buddy take my Summits, so I'm thinking about
keeping the CLX's. I have the room for them, so I'd really like to
make the jump.

I think the CLX with a pair of Descents will truly be a statement
system.

We'll see how soon they show up! Really looking forward to it
though!

I'm leaning towards purchase. I let one of our other staffers and
my oldest audio buddy take my Summits, so I'm thinking about
keeping the CLX's. I have the room for them, so I'd really like to
make the jump.

I think the CLX with a pair of Descents will truly be a statement
system.

We'll see how soon they show up! Really looking forward to it
though!

Well I for one am looking forward to your review (both with and without the Descents)! I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get my speaker budget up to $25K. I'll do it somehow!

Im pretty sure that only the first 100 25th anniversary models are going to be 25k and the "regular edition" CLX's are going to be 20k.

Have to check that out for sure!

I am getting pretty excited about getting a set!

Yup, tonepub, I think the Descents will be mandatory. Should make for awesome listening.:bowdown:

Im pretty sure that only the first 100 25th anniversary models are going to be 25k and the "regular edition" CLX's are going to be 20k.

Cool! Even better, I prefer the wood finishes of the regular CLXs. To my eye, the natural cherry looks very nice--but then I've always been a fan of natural wood-coloured speakers (so black stains don't cut it).

Latest posts

Back