Summits Take a Hike

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose the one big advantage the old original Sequel and Quest have over the newer models is their MASSIVE cabinetry and scale-tipping weight. My Sequels weigh in at 110lbs each, and although I have been sitting them on spikes for years, even when I had them on the metal sliders on a hardwood floor they never once "walked", even when playing them at "knock stuff off the walls" volumes...

The newer ML's are virtual "featherweights" by comparison. Even the Summit is only like, what, 75lbs each? That's almost half what the Quest weighed (125lbs) and less than half the weight of the original Monolith at 165lbs. I'm not saying that those older, clunky cabinets are better, but there IS a lot to be said for big speakers that have such substantial heft to them. For one thing, they don't walk...

Wrapping some lead weights (from weight training devices, or scuba diving belt weights) in a nice cloth and making it look ‘acceptable’ is one way to put a large mass on the cabinet and weight it down and kill some resonances as well.

Hey, you stole my idea!... ;)

I use round "plate" weights--2 10lb plates--on the cabinet of each of my Sequels, and combined with my OregonDV spikes, it tightened up the bass substantially and even smoothed out the mids noticeably...

See my previous post on this:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3558

--Richard

I put 50 lb of shot pellets on my Quests. It really tightened up the speed and bloom of the bass. But it seemed that the upper midrange and highs became less distinct.

I have since put in laminate flooring and am getting the acoustics of the room back into shape. I'll probably put the shot back on the speakers later and see what happens.

The biggest problem I am having now is that the bass from the rear of the speakers really need to be tamed.

The floor doesn't vibrate. The flooring material is engineered wood that is glued down to the concrete benieth. The floor is very solid and reflects sound because of it's hard surface, but doesn't resonate.

I believe the movement came from the lower woofer pushing so much air that the speaker effectively got lighter...then the forward facing woofer's air output was easily able to push the whole speaker back.

Does anyone know which woofer is controlled by the lower frequency (25hz) knob?

I believe it is the bottom one. I also endorse the BDR pucks along with jtwracespikes. My grandaughters provide a never ending supply of hip hop and dance CD's and my Summits do not dance (but I do!).

Last edited:
The floor doesn't vibrate. The flooring material is engineered wood that is glued down to the concrete benieth. The floor is very solid and reflects sound because of it's hard surface, but doesn't resonate.

I believe the movement came from the lower woofer pushing so much air that the speaker effectively got lighter...then the forward facing woofer's air output was easily able to push the whole speaker back.

Does anyone know which woofer is controlled by the lower frequency (25hz) knob?

A Summit speaker has two 10" woofers--one facing forward and one downward. Each woofer has a 200 watts/channel amplifier. Both woofers cover the same frequencies, from 24Hz up to the panel crossover at 270Hz. The 25Hz and 50Hz amplifier controls at the back of the speaker cabinet affect the two woofers identically.
Here is a picture of the BDR pucks and extended spikes ...

Attachments

• bdr_pits.jpg
    bdr_pits.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back