summits + plinius SA-201 = good match ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David100

Reaction score
Hello dear Martin Logan Owners,
I am thinking about buying a Plinius SA-201 power amp (Class AB, not the well known class A SA-102) to power the Summits.
Has someone tested this combination already ?

Thank you very much for your input.

Technical info of the Plinius SA-201 (from www.pliniusaudio.com):

225 watts continuous per channel into 8 Ohms. Both channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz ± 0.2dB. -3dB at 1Hz and -3dB at 70kHz
Distortion: Typically < 0.05% THD at rated power. 0.1% THD and IM worst case prior to clipping
Current Output: 40A short duration peak per channel. Fuse protected
Rise Time: Typically < 4uS
Phase Response: +0deg at 20Hz and
-14deg at 20kHz
Hum & Noise: 90dB below rated output 20Hz to 20kHz unweighted
Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
Gain on RCA Inputs: 32dB
Gain on Balanced Inputs: 38dB
Dimensions: Height 170mm (7.5"), Width 445mm (17.75"), Depth 453mm (17.75"), Weight 25kg (56lb)

Last edited:
Not exactly the combination you're talking about, but I've got a Plinius SA-103 driving a pair of SL3s and the combination is terrific. The SA-103 is the best solid-state amplifier I've had in my system and I'm guessing the SA-201 will do quite fine for you.

David, FWIW I second what "banger" said, while I have the SA-102 and not the 201's as well. Currently though I'm enjoying my M/L's be driven by a pair of tube MonoBlocks.

Dave, your mono blocks look killer and I bet they sound killer too! :music:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Dave,

You're NOT helping the cause of non-upgraditus in my household....

Dave,

You're NOT helping the cause of non-upgraditus in my household....

50 Watts of Sweet SET Tube Monoblocks to make your Summits sing...

Sorry, am I not helping?

Attachments

• adagio2.jpg
    adagio2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 971
Who says you can't use SETs amps to power a Summit? There are a few that are capable but it's going to cost some green.

Attachments

• adagiomain.jpg
    adagiomain.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 853
Who says you can't use SETs amps to power a Summit? There are a few that are capable but it's going to cost some green.

Holy Moly!!!:eek:

50 watts from a SET amp? I think that would sound pretty dang sweet with the Summits, even if it did roll off the highs.

I was about to buy plinius sa 201 but sa 202 was far more better.Sa 201 is not so musical as the sa 102 is.It's better to buy two sa 102 and play them as monos.In the future you can use them for your surrounds if you like cinema...I will do it !;)

Never heard the 201... but if it sounds like the 102 does in A/B, it's ok. Though, I still say that in Class A, you get that extra bit of warmth and solidity. Not that A/B Plinny 102 is no good, it's great... about 85% of the full A performance I think.

Joey

Holy Moly!!!:eek:

50 watts from a SET amp? I think that would sound pretty dang sweet with the Summits, even if it did roll off the highs.

I think they have enough watts with loads of current that they wouldn't roll off the highs on a Summit but the only way to know for sure is to try a pair. However, they're quite expensive and hard to come by so that makes auditioning a pair an extra challenge.

I had no access to Internet for over a week.
Back today, I thank you very much for your answers.
David

Summit amps

Be very carefull with the choice of the amp with the Summits, they need a very particuliar amp.
For example with a MC300 SS, they don't work well. You don't need a high powered amplfier but more so an amp. which can drive into 1 ohms (at 20Khz the impendnace of Summit is 1 ohm) and therefore an amp which can deliver

- 100 watts into 8 ohms
- 200 watts into 4 ohms
- 400 watts into 2 ohms

I think that transformer outputs are out and that a classe A amp. would be a good choice.

You may also wish to look at a Classe amp produced in Canada.

Listen to the combination (ML S / Amp) before purchasing the amp.

Back