Summits humming even when not connected

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did he say this was normal or is there a fix for this? I seem to have a Vantage that was produced around the same time and is exhibiting this low volume noise.

last I spoke with him, last years get together in Lawrence, KS, the response was 'normal' , yet with no explanation, which I must admitt seems odd.

Summits humming

My Summits also hum from time to time. This was first a problem when I upgraded from a stereo amp (Sanders ESL) to mono blocks (Sanders monoblocks). The problem went away when I plugged the Summits and the amplifiers into the same AC outlet.

The problem has returned when I changed the amps from the 110V 20amp line powering the Summits and Descent. to Their own dedicated line 220V 20amp. Now the hum has returned.

This hum can be heard very faintly when the Summits and amps are both on (normal condition, the amps are never turned off). When the preamp is switched on then the hum gets louder (still very soft, but noticeable) When the music is playing it is still there between songs but does not seem to affect the sound quality (I think it is just buried in the background) The hum does not get louder or softer with a change in the volume control.

did i mis something

this sounds like a ground loop. you need to properly ground your system.
their should be no hum from your listening position!

yeah I know

but sometimes everything can be grounded and still a loop. the symptoms
you describe are classic of a ground loop.does it sound like the hum is about 60cycles?
although it is strange when it is not hooked up to your system.can you move it to another room and see if the problem is still there.

Last edited:
but sometimes everything can be grounded and still a loop. the symptoms
you describe are classic of a ground loop.does it sound like the hum is about 60cycles?

agreed sounds like the classic problem. the sound is 60 cycles or a harmonic.

although it is strange when it is not hooked up to your system.can you move it to another room and see if the problem is still there.

My hum requires the amplifiers to be powered on. and connected. If I turn off the mono block or remove the speaker wire it is silent.

Fish man, if you are in the Chicago area you are welcome to stop by.

thanks for the invite

I do live in the suburbs my biz has not given me much free time. barely enough to listen to my own stuff I think that is a good thing though.you may have to build a your own ground chassis some amps are notorius for this.
do you have your stuff pluged into a power conditioner? my dad had a bad ground loop intill I gave him a panamax 5500ex for his system. that fixed the problems although there are cheeper fixes

Hello,
My summits (3 weeks old) are humming, both of them.
The noise is very low and can only be heard very close to the speakers when they are not playing. The sound is more like a little kitty purring. It comes from the woofer, not the stator.

They keep humming/purring even when they are plugged to the AC and not connected to the system.

Is the problem in the speakers or in my line ?
Is this a ground loop problem or not ?
Can this harm the speakers ?
Can powerfilters solve this, like the devices from ps audio (noise harvester ? power plant premier ?)

Any help welcome
Thank you very much

David

I know exaclty what you're talking about! I had that same issue with my Vantages, and when I went to the Summits, it was still there but not to the same extent. I could hear the noise if I was laying on the couch and the system was "off". I really bugged me. :(

I eventually added two dedicated 20 amp lines, with no special power conditioning (yet), and plugged each Summit directly into it's own outlet. That corrected the problem and the woofers are virtually silent when just "sitting"there!

I'd start with the dedicated 20 amp line, with a hospital grade outlet. I bought the PS Audio outlet for $49.00. I'm very happy with this set up. It really improved dynamics and created a 'blacker" background . . . and got rid of the humming woofers.

Joe

To Joe (Music Again) : Thanks Joe for your post : What you describe is exactly what I hear. I thought in the first days I could forget the noise (which is vey low), but I can't help hearing it, and it bother me more and more. I will try a power regenerator, or a direct connection to the power box.
A question : what is the PS Outlet priced $49 that you are mentionning ?

PS Audio Power Port

A question : what is the PS Outlet priced $49 that you are mentionning ?

Check out musicdirect.com
PS Audio Power Port Classic

I paid 49.95 for it and am very happy with the performance. It made a huge diiference, especially in the bottom end, with things plugged directly into the wall. I am looking at power conditioners though. I've got in narrowed down to Furman and Equi=Tech.

Joe

Back