Summit X and which sub? Descent i or Depth i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it's working out for you. In my 2-chan room (when I had Xs), I simply could not have imagined a need for any more low end. It was plenty with just the Xs. I had windows rattling and people complaining... but the bass integration was excellent (not like it was boomy or over-bearing).

Anyway, could just be my room (suspended wooden floor) that helped in my situation. Can't speak for others, but have certainly seen plenty of comments from owners stating they simply found no need for sw augmentation with Summits or Xs).

Now, if I can just get my CLX+sw integration dialed in right...:)

TSV:

As for dialing in the sub with the mains, I'd suggest you the 'NULL' method.

I also would suggest you first go through the normal speaker calibration process as described in your AVR/AVP if you have one. You are required to have an external noise source set to generate test tones around your crossover frequency between the mains and subwoofer.

The procedure involves changing the subwoofer distance settings in your processor eo to match the subwoofer phase signals with the stereo bass signals from your mains.

Also, make sure the sub and mains are level matched. I use my lowly but trustworthy radioshack meter to do this. I set my levels at 75dB, slow setting and A-weighted setting.

NULL Method:

1. Reverse the polarity of the LF speaker terminals. You can do this directly at the speaker terminals or at the back/rear of your power amplifier (but NOT both:p).

2. Go to your sub distance settings in your processor's setup menu.

3. Play your initial test tone frequency (say 60Hz) and measure the SPL reading on your RS meter as you vary the subwoofer distance settings from 0 to max in 0.5 ft increments as you record the SPL reading from the RS meter.

4. The distance setting that gives you the MINIMUM reading is the optimal sub distance for that test tone frequency.

5. Repeat #3 and #4 with the next frequency in 5 Hz increments to 65Hz in the exampe used here. After you've gone through the range of frequencies (65Hz to 100Hz), you'll have a set of minimal distances for each test tone frequency used. Then take the average of these minimal distance readings and enter this aberage value as the sub distance in your processor......You're done:rocker:!

Remember to reverse the LF speaker terminals (at the speaker itself or the back of the power amp) to their correct polarity!!!.

The results are so worth it:bowdown:. I use this procedure with my new Spires and dual subs. I phased and level matched the subs to each other first. Then i did the above to match my subs to my Spires and now, the subs 'disappear' and only 'show up' for the deepest of the deep and the sound is heavenly(imho):bowdown:. I cross my Spires / Sub combo at 60Hz.

Thanks for taking the time dmusoke. Alas, I was referring to my 2-chan system where no such pre/pro resides.

I appreciate the influx of support from yourself, RUR, and many others that have provided a number of great guidelines and suggestions across a number of threads regarding tools and methods to help improve bass integration. I've started some testing and will slowly but surely get to a happy place wrt CLX/SW integration.

Cheers

Assuming you're setting the subs low-pass at or close to the CLX f3, here's a dirt-simple null method:

To set phase on sub x, turn off the main farthest from the sub, and any other sub(s). Reverse the phase on either sub or main by reversing connections, as dmusoke has outlined. While playing a tone at the frequency of the "crossover", listen at the point midway in space between main and sub while an accomplice slowly adjusts sub phase. At ideal phase, the tone should become essentially inaudible as the sub and main cancel. Repeat for other subs, as necessary, always using the main closest to the sub being adjusted.

clever RUR... thanks!
Shamelessly stolen from the fine folks @ JL Audio. Never done it, myself, as I have a ritual involving a zippy hi-tech preamp and live chickens. But that's a story for another thread......

Back