Summit... What's coming next ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David100

Reaction score
Hello,
I am about to buy a pair of Summits...
But I have this last question. Summit has come, then Vantage, and all the other speakers below, also new centrals and new subs.

What can ML do next ? Are they not about to renew the top of the line, and come with something new to replace the Summits ? Just after I buy mine ?
:confused: That would be frustrating. :confused:

What do you think ? How long before a replacement of the Summits ?

Thanks
David

Wait 'til after CES

which is in early January in Las Vegas, where large companies try very hard to introduce new products that will be available in the coming year.

New "flagship" CLX is anticipated in 2008, but few design details known. It will NOT be a Summit replacement. Based on ML product history I suspect there will eventually be a Summit i or Summit II, but probably not for another year or two. We'll more likely see new products in the lower priced DESIGN line, and more architectural-focused stuff for builders and home-theater installations.

If you are considering buying Summits, IMHO, they're certainly still the state-of-the-electrostatic-art design.

And the Summit size is just perfect. Big, spacial, detailed sound from a
compact footprint. If the CLX comes out tomorrow, I won't have any regrets
because I'm so glad to finally rid my system of separate subs. My new Summits
are not fully broken-in, yet they pressurize my entire house on the right
material.

There is no question that the Summits will be replaced, just as they replaced the excellent Prodigy line. But I don't expect that it will happen for a few years. ML doesn't turn over their speaker lines that often.

Hello,
something new to replace the Summits ? Just after I buy mine ?

What do you think ? ThanksDavid

Sounds like your falling for the ole 'marketing hype game' , if you really love the Summitt's , get them, just because a replacement at the top come along, that does not deminish the 'sound' that you love from what you have , does it ??

Now with that being said....if and when M/L brings to market the CLX's, anybody want to buy a pair of Vantage's !!!

I agree with Dave and wouldn't worry about it. I've been in the computer biz for almost 40 years, and this is something you have to learn to deal with. No matter what computer hardware you get, in a very small amount of time there's going to be something better for equal or less cost. Its not as bad an issue with A/V equipment, but its certainly there. You just have to learn to use and enjoy what you've got, knowing that realistically you're going to replace them down the road. If you worry too much about it, it'll just drive you nuts! :D

Hummm... Does anyone have a picture of the CLX ? Or is it still confidential ?

The Summit won't be 'replaced' for a while. If anything, we might see an improvement - maybe in the form of an 'i' model upgrade. I reckon an 'i' model might be 2 to 3 years down the track... :think:

Hello Edwinr,

What do you mean exactly... 2 or 3 years from now... or 2 or 3 years after initial launch of Summits ? Thank you for your collaboration.

I heard of a sort of Super Summit coming out in the future. It would be priced at about 17k to 22k. But I have not heard anything in a while. That is a speaker I would try if and when it comes out.

on my wish list would be a Monolith replacement...sort of the super Summit but smaller than than my CLS2Z or older Monoliths. I would like to see a lower crossover point between woofer and panel eg: 150-170 hz...using the best newer electronic crossover technology:music:

Still holding out for the much-rumored CLX......

Tj

Hmmm, if the SuperSummit is priced between 17k-22k is becomes somewhat out of range for me... When arriving in Europe this becomes sky high (add an easy 60%) :confused:
Now this CLX... if I undestand right, it would be a full electrostat panel speaker... Actually two panels : one for mid and high, and one for bass. Am I correct ? Would this be enough or is it supposed to work with an additional sub ?

Hmmm, if the SuperSummit is priced between 17k-22k is becomes somewhat out of range for me... When arriving in Europe this becomes sky high (add an easy 60%) :confused:
Now this CLX... if I undestand right, it would be a full electrostat panel speaker... Actually two panels : one for mid and high, and one for bass. Am I correct ? Would this be enough or is it supposed to work with an additional sub ?

They suggest you use one (if not two) of their new depthi or descenti subwoofers. The CLX will not have as much bass response by itself as the summit does.

"Now this CLX... if I undestand right, it would be a full electrostat panel speaker... Actually two panels : one for mid and high, and one for bass. Am I correct ? Would this be enough or is it supposed to work with an additional sub ?"

Two panels is what I'm hearing. Dipoles by their nature, are not real good with bass. That being said, whether you'll need subs or not, depends on your listening preferences.

Hello,
I am about to buy a pair of Summits...
But I have this last question. Summit has come, then Vantage, and all the other speakers below, also new centrals and new subs.

What can ML do next ? Are they not about to renew the top of the line, and come with something new to replace the Summits ? Just after I buy mine ?

What do you think ? How long before a replacement of the Summits ?

Thanks
David

be carefully about the matching of th summits with your amp..this is critical !

Back