Summit stator

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansdo

Reaction score
I have bought a pair of used Summits from 2006 to replace mine Vista's but found that mine Vista sounds more clearer and with more punch. I clean the membrame of the Summits with soft soap and calcfree water handsprayer ,the water came off was quit dirty ,after drying they sounded much better but not yet like mine Vista. I have ask 2 compagnies about replacement off the stators. 1 told me that it is only possible to replace the whole stator by original ML stators and that replacing the membrame is not possible and the other told me that he can replace the membrames according the ML specifications. The last one is about € 400,- ($500,-) cheaper . Whitch one is telling the thrue ?:confused:
Thanks in advance for your help !

IMO, unless the 'company' that said they can replace just the membrane has the same specialized jigs that the M/L factory has to precisely strech it and I doubt very much if they do,............ I suspect they are giving you a line of BS.

Simply put...... IF your five year old panels need replacing....replace the whole panel...stators and membrane as a whole.

Dave's right... don't risk it. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for the used summits so the price for new panels won't be too painful when all is said and done.

Dave's right... don't risk it. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for the used summits so the price for new panels won't be too painful when all is said and done.

In Europe the ML are much expensive than in the VS , the used pair coste me € 5700,- (ca $ 8000,-) beside the stator ,the Summits are in good condition and I kept in mind that a replacement could be necessary (but I hoped not).

Hola. It is good to know that your panels are still working. My advice is "never use any soap or detergent to wash the stat panels" only use plain water from the pipe. The coat at the diaphragm is very sensitive to detergents and soaps. All over the surface of the panel should produce sound!. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I would only replace the panels with ML sourced ones. Otherwise you can't guarantee the sound. Five years is a short time to fail though - do they stink of smoke?

Hello Roberto and Amey,
After cleaning the panels (one I cleaned 2 times) , the Summits sounds a lot better so that I can wait with replacement of the panels .
Roberto , I use very soft Dreft dishing soap (they tell you that it is very soft for your hands and skin and what good is for mine skin is also good voor the Logans :) ) and washed them off with pure calcfree water. The panels are shinning now like new ones. Only the drying takes 2 days but it is worth it.
greetings Hans

Hola Hans. The coat that makes the stat panel conductive, is sensitive to soaps!... it is not recommended to use any kind of soap to wash the panel. You are lucky to have them well. It is not my recommendation, it is a ML RECOMMENDATION!!! No matter how soft the soap could be, it could melt and wash away the coat, loosing its conductivity. I assure you that plain watter is enough. Here in Costa Rica, our weather is very humid, sometimes reaching 100% value. Our panels act like a magnet, and they do attract dust and debris. A reason why it is wise to vacuum the panels at least once a month if you are in a dusty area, or every two months to keep them without any dust. Believe me, I have to wash a lot of panels, because I do service ML here. Customers like all the practice that I have, taking apart the panels for this purpose. Also, I provide the service for free... no charge!. Happy listening,
R.

I have to wash a lot of panels, because I do service ML here. Customers like all the practice that I have, taking apart the panels for this purpose. Also, I provide the service for free... no charge!. Happy listening,
R.
Roberto, can you move here? I want you for my ML dealer. I can promise you real snow ! Actually, my ML dealer is really good.

You are too much!, Bernard. At the begining with ML, I had a lot of stat panels issues, due to the high humid weather, and grew a bad reputation regarding ML with the stat panels. I had all the support from the factory, and also became a kind of lab rat for them, until they build the special chamber for testing all kind of different coat at atomic level, to make the diaphragm to be conductive and safe for all weather environment. Another reason why I was in contact wth Mr. Power and also Mr. Sanders long time ago. So, to keep my customers with me, I provided all the needed service for free, and still do, even from speakers that have over 20 years...

Back