Summit popping noise

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
One of my summits starting making a intermittent popping noise in the woofer don't know if it is the forward firing one or down firing one. Any ideas? Thanks

One of my summits starting making a intermittent popping noise in the woofer don't know if it is the forward firing one or down firing one. Any ideas? Thanks

Does this happen with any source material or those with extremely low bass?The very first thing that I would do, if you have not done so is to switch the speaker leads and see if the popping moves to the other side. If so, then it is being induced by your primary amplifier or preamplifier. To further investigate that, you can restore the original connections and switch the source coming from the preamp. If it remains on the same side after making the previous connection switches, then you have identified the problem as being definitely the speaker. To determine if it is one of the woofers, start by simply removing the bottom woofer (easier to get to) and see if the noise remains. If it is gone then you have identified the culprit. If it is still present, then it is either the other woofer or the internal amplifier (both could cause this problem). You could address this by removing the front woofer after replacing the bottom one. Either way, this is a problem that could potentially be fixed in the field by replacing the problematic component. I have replaced both amplifiers and speakers with M-L subs. They will send you the replacement part and a diagram for DIY. Hope that helps.

summit popping noise

babydoc: first thank you for the reply. the noise was coming from the summit when in standby, i unplugged it and re plugged it and it seemed to go away for now. fingers crossed.

the popping came back and it is in the front firing woofer of the summit, also the blue light does not come on when it is plugged in but it does when a signal is applied.

my summits light red when plugged in and only go blue when detect a signal that's normal isn`t it ? wouldn`t worry about that

Back