Summit amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john C

Reaction score
I am trying to understand which is the best SS amp for the Summits, I currently have an MC300 SS and the results are not vey good in the high range (a very dull sound), I have a pair of requests(with new panels) driven with an old yamaha SS amp which soundmuch better in the mid and high range.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

While I'm a huge fan of my CJ Premier 350, I have been listening to the Sanders monoblocks for about a week now and am initially very impressed.

They probably need to play for a few hundred more hours to see how much of the slight bit of congestion in the high end clears up, but the bass performance is the best I've ever heard with the Summits. They play cool and they will play very loud if you need them to.

Look for a review in issue 16 of TONEAudio. We are just putting issue 15 to bed now, so 16 will be up around June 10.

Good luck on the search...

My Summits are driven by a Karan KAS270. Much better than the Classe I used previously and ... best of all, not too overpriced. It's fully balanced with dual power supplies.

You want the "best" solid state amp for the Summits? There is no such thing, but there are lots of great ones. Consider, among others, the following manufacturers (in no particular order): Sanders Sound Systems, Pass Labs, Plinius, Sunfire, Krell, Conrad Johnson.

I personally own the Sanders Sound System ESL monoblocs and the Pass Labs X-350.5 and can vouch that they both sound superb with my Summits. I have heard Sunfire, Krell, and CJ SS amps with various Martin Logans and I believe they would all sound excellent with the Summits. I haven't heard the Plinius, but there are plenty on this forum who will vouch for it. As I mentioned, this list is not all-inclusive. But it is representative of some of the manufacturers that get mentioned over and over again on this forum as having great SS amps for Martin Logans.

... I personally own the Sanders Sound System ESL monoblocs and the Pass Labs X-350.5 and can vouch that they both sound superb with my Summits...

Rich, just curious, how would you classify the sonic differences between the Pass (Class A) and the Sanders ESL's?

You want the "best" solid state amp for the Summits? There is no such thing, but there are lots of great ones. Consider, among others, the following manufacturers (in no particular order): Sanders Sound Systems, Pass Labs, Plinius, Sunfire, Krell, Conrad Johnson.

I completely agree with Rich on this. The 'best' is what is best for your ears. And Rich's list is a great starting point.

I personally own the Sanders ESL amp, both the stereo and mono blocks and the Sunfire Symphonic Reference. All of them have been used as the primary power for the Summits over the last year.

The Sunfire was a big step up from the Pioneer receiver I was originally using with the Summits. Much better bass and cleaner highs. The Sanders ESL, was another big step up from the Sunfire, The move from the ESL to the ESL mono blocks was more subtle.

While I'm a huge fan of my CJ Premier 350, I have been listening to the Sanders monoblocks for about a week now and am initially very impressed.

Glad to hear that you have a set of the mono block in for review. I am very interested in your impressions.

--burke

I agree with the other guys.

You will probably have to do a few auditions to see what sounds the best to you with the rest of your system...

They have all listed excellent choices.

Rich, just curious, how would you classify the sonic differences between the Pass (Class A) and the Sanders ESL's?

First of all, I would say that they are both excellent amps top to bottom. Both have great imaging and soundstaging. Both have excellent dynamics and clarity.

I believe the Sanders amps are more neutral (meaning that no particular frequency range stands out -- they just sound great throughout the entire frequency range). They have excellent high end, great midrange, and deep, taut bass. They reproduce what is on the discs more accurately, in my opinion, than any other amp I have heard. By that, I mean that they just appear to have no "house sound" of their own, but simply reproduce the music in an accurate manner. They allow you to hear differences in upstream components better than anything else, too.

The Pass is also great top to bottom. But it is not quite as clean, clear, and extended in the highs. It also has a warmer, richer midrange than the Sanders. It has a little more "presence" too, it seems. A little more texture to the sound.

Bottom line is this: I would be more than happy with either of these in my system (which is why I kept both of them). I prefer the Sanders amps in my main listening room with my Summits because: 1. they are more neutral and revealing, 2. they produce very little heat, and 3. they are monoblocs. But I am still more than happy with the sound of the Pass Labs amp with my Ascents in the downstairs system (with the Sanders preamp!). That is also a wonderful combination.

Yes, you really need to audition the amps that you're interested in. Personally, I driving my Summits with a Sunfire TGA-7400 amp via a Sunfire TGP-5 pre-amp. Keeping in mind that my requirements included home theater and well-matched prepro and amp, I'm very happy with the results.

I am using a Gryphon DM100 class A amp. Gryphon's have always been an excellent match for Martin Logan's but I understand they are not widely available in the USA and newer models would now be quite expensive due to the exchange rate.

Back