Subwoofer recommendation for Aeon i's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upgrade from Aeon 1 to Vista or Vantage

this is just my opinion but to my ears the Aeon1 sound fairly close to the ML Vista speakers. If you want to get more bass you can find the ML Grotto on Audiogon for around $500.00 and it will sound great with the Aeon1. Just my opinion but I would upgrade to either the ML Vantage or Summit if you did not want to use a subwoofer. I really like the look of the new Vista speakers. Anybody out there have a comparision of the Aeon 1 to the Vista speakers?
JJJ

What you mean when you say digitally driven? Servo? The only thing the SMS-1 does not do, that the Velodyne DD series does, is servo control.

Dan

The word 'digital' was mentioned in one of the reviews I came across. though for the life of me I can't seem to remember where that review is on the web.

Pre Amp -> Panel Power Amp -> Panel Posts on Summits
............-> SMS-1 -> Sub Power Amp -> Woofer Posts on Summits

-OR-

Pre-Amp -> SMS-1 -> SMS-1 High Pass Outputs -> Power Amp -> Panels
..........................-> Sub outputs on SMS-1 -> Sub Power Amp -> Woofers

You can't do this with either the Summits or Vantages since they are both internally amped. In other words you can not biamp these speakers becuase the woofer's are alread amped and therfore makes these speakers biamped. I'm sure there is a good technical reason why you can't bi-amp these speakers but I don't have that info. I'm sure it has something to do with the crossover circuitry a the point where it taps off the speaker level input for the digital amp. The owner's manual specifically says do not biamp. You can bi-wire but you can not bi-amp.

Just a thought, Dan. Isn't the Summit's woofer digitally driven and the SMS-1 is supposed to work only with non-DD subs?

True - The internal amps in the Summits and Vantage are Digital amps. Aren't most subs digitally amped these days?

Last edited:
You can't do this with either the Summits or Vantages since they are both internally amped. In other words you can not biamp these speakers becuase the woofer's are alread amped and therfore makes these speakers biamped. I'm sure there is a good technical reason why you can't bi-amp these speakers but I don't have that info. I'm sure it has something to do with the crossover circuitry a the point where it taps off the speaker level input for the digital amp. The owner's manual specifically says do not biamp. You can bi-wire but you can not bi-amp.

That settles it then. Yea, I should have noticed it earlier, the manual discourages bi-amping. So, we're back to square one :D : it's doesn't look possible to use the SMS-1 on the ML's sub.

Craig, I don't know that most powered subs use digital amps but I do know a lot of them use Class D (switching amps), being small, lightweight, cheap and 90% efficient (meaning less heat). Sometimes they are mistakenly referred to as "digital" because of their fast on/off mode.

timm - I hope you are reading this - don't want your system go smoking!

Ben

Last edited:
That settles it then. Yea, I should have noticed it earlier, the manual discourages bi-amping. So, we're back to square one :D : it's doesn't look possible to use the SMS-1 on the ML's sub.
On ML's subs or the Summit? The Subs I would think to be a yes, but the Summit probably due to the Bi-amping issue, especially if the manual discourages it. Wonder why? Anyone with a Summit want to ask ML about it? Curiosity more for me than anything..

Craig, I don't know that most powered subs use digital amps but I do know a lot of them use Class D (switching amps), being small, lightweight, cheap and 90% efficient (meaning less heat). Sometimes they are mistakenly referred to as "digital" because of their fast on/off mode.
Best thing for anyone to do before trying something is contact ML about it. Discussions here are just discussions and opinions, and ML is the real authority.

Agreed on the discription of the amps being Digital. The ICE, Class D, etc, usually seemed to be refered to as Digital. Maybe due to the lack of hugh power supplies or massive caps that give it this description????

Dan

timm - I hope you are reading this - don't want your system go smoking!

Ben

We be cool... I don't have summits ... I have odysseys. Since we are on the topic of subs... anyone do a direct comparison to hooking a descent up via the lfe vs the line-in rca jacks? Why would the 40 Hz internal x-over on the descent be better than setting my processor to 40 hz? If I were to get one ... I have about 50 different ways to hook up - or so it seems. One other thing - for anyone that has noticed... looks like the descent i has another knob on it ... is that a 50 Hz adjustment - or is it a variable x-over. Why does the depth have the variable - and the descent only have the choice between 40 & 70 Hz?

... looks like the descent i has another knob on it ... is that a 50 Hz adjustment - or is it a variable x-over. Why does the depth have the variable - and the descent only have the choice between 40 & 70 Hz?

timm,

The new knob on the Descent i is indeed a new 50 Hz +-10dB adjustment feature. The i also incorporates a variable Low Pass Filter which previously was only found on the old Depth. The old 40/70 Hz Low Pass Filter is now a 3-way switch labelled as "High Pass Filter: Out" giving you a choice of 70/40 Hz and Norm. So much for progress. :D

Ben

Last edited:
On ML's subs or the Summit? The Subs I would think to be a yes, but the Summit probably due to the Bi-amping issue, especially if the manual discourages it. Wonder why? Anyone with a Summit want to ask ML about it? Curiosity more for me than anything..
Dan

Dan,

As you can see, I am actually fumbling around on this SMS-1 thing. I think maybe you can put it thru to Jim Powers (or whoever) in clearer terms than I. Anyway, the last time I contacted ML for an answer on the high turn-on surge on my Summits, I was given the run around back to my dealer who was also just as ignorant of that problem. Needless to say, I blew my top somewhat before I finally got a decent response. :mad:

We like to experiment, don't we? The knowledge might come in handy some day and save ourselves some grief. :D
Ben

Last edited:
Back