Subwoofer Placement Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcblum

Reaction score
Ok, this is a stupid question and I'm sorry to have to ask it.

I have a Paradigm sub and a Anthem PVA7 7 Channel amp. The amp is WAY to heavy for my glass shelving system which is weighted to hold 30 pounds. So, I put the amp on the floor on a little stand that I improvised. But now you can see all of the chords coming from the pre to the amp and it bugs me a little, and that spot on the floor was where my sub used to live.

So... is there a reason why I can put the small sub on top on the amp? It's got feet so it wouldn't really be effecting the ventilation and it seems like the Anthem doesn't run that hot anyway...

I'm sure there's a reason, but it just would work so perfectly for my setup that I had to ask. If it's not a good idea, does anyone know of a really tall amp stand so I can hoist it up like 6-8" and block the view of those cords?

Thank you,
Matt

Absent the ventilation issue, you will be exposing your amp to excessive vibration from the sub, which will negatively impact the sound of the amp.

IMHO, don't do it.

You should be able to find an amp stand that meets that criteria. If you can't, find a scrap piece of 2" granite and place the stand / amp on that.

GG

Last edited:
The vibration would be like dropping the amp down a flight of stairs and undoing just about every solder joint in the process.

Don't even try it as a short term experiment.

You could place the amp on top of the subwoofer.

I would probably isolate the amp with a rubber mat / maplewood or something similar, protecting the sub's finish and the amp from some vibrations...layering will work.

The weight from the amp will also yield cleaner bass from the sub.

Hello,
I would not place the two components anywhere near one another.
I would put the subwoofer behind one of your speakers as pictured in the ML Owners Manuals for their subs. At least the one for my Depth.
Cheers,
ML

Ok, well I didn't end of doing that because of all of the good points made. The problem is that the fronts are in wall so I can't put them behind. I'm going to try to move the sub to the other side or something to keep the 2 components separate. I never knew that it'd make that much of a different, although I did know it wasn't the best idea to have the sub on top of the amp.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and for talking some sense into me.
Matt

Back