Subwoofer in a cabinet?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyser Soze

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to put their subwoofer in a cabinet? I'm thinking of getting a Grotto, slim chance of getting a Depth, but it would have to be in a cabinet due to "aesthetics" of the room (translate: my wife doesn't want to see them). It will probably be a custom credenza that would house all the equipment and either sub would fit but there wouldn't be the recommended 3 inches of space around them as written in their manuals. Any suggestions? :confused:

Tell the wife to 'get with the program' !! ANY kind of speaker 'in a box' is not the way to go. I'm serious when I say, you need to get your wife on the same sheet of music that your on, but if that dosen't work then hide it behind a plant, chair or something but not in another piece of furniture.

Yeah, I've tried but she's pretty adamant about keeping them hidden. She did let me get a pair of Summits and hasn't said anything about any other purchase so far, so I really don't want to push her too far with this one. I might be able to hide it behind one of the Summits, but I'm not counting on it.

What about in-wall Sub? Are you set on a ML sub? Sunfire makes some pretty compact subs that perform well and would be easier to hide. If you put it in the cabinet, it's going to shake the bejesus out of your components as well. Hard telling what will rattle loose over time.

Yeah, I've tried but she's pretty adamant about keeping them hidden. She did let me get a pair of Summits and hasn't said anything about any other purchase so far, so I really don't want to push her too far with this one. I might be able to hide it behind one of the Summits, but I'm not counting on it.

Better yet, one behind EACH Summit. Don't want to throw off her Feng Shui :D :D

I don't think it's a good idea to put it in the cabinet. It's going to sound completely different that's for sure.

That's a tough nut to crack, and I am with Dave on this one. She needs to get with the program.

:rocker:

Erik

I'm curious, why a Grotto with Summits? From what I've heard, I would think the Summits would be sufficient for low end.

Stereo subs!

I'm running stereo subs right now and the bottom end is amazing...like on Paul Simon's Graceland...the drums on the first song sound huge!

Also...the sequels I'm keeping have no bass...think I blew something.

If anything put the sub under a table. Explain to your wife why you want the sub and how critical the placement of it is. Tell her that this is a system that you plan on keeping in the house for years to come and if she doesn't want to see them, over time she will just get used to the little sub and treat it like a piece of furniture.

She'll get with the program or whatever, you just need to explain it better. With that being said, you gotta get the Depth if you have Summits. IMO the Summits will just overpower a Grotto and at high volumes, you'll just hear rattling and distortion from the Grotto sub

I'm not too sure she'll "get with the program" as you say. This is an upgrade of our den, we already have a home theater with a 96" screen, digital projector, etc. There the equipment is out for everyone to see, but since its used as a theater she doesn't care. This is our den where anyone who comes into our house will see it, and she's concerned about the look. I can't complain too much since I've already gotten Summits and am going to get a Motif center and a new 60" plasma on the wall and she hasn't sadi anything about that. I like the idea of a smaller 10-12" sub (like the Sunfire) that I might be able to put in a corner behind my kid's toychest. Thanks for all your input, I'm going to try hard and get the sub in the corner, but if it comes down to sub placement or a happy wife, I have to go with the happy wife.

Ah, yes, as Dreamer once said, "Domestic tranquility."

Sunfire isn't a bad choice for subs. Give velodyne, SVS, and Hsu a look. There's bound to be a sub out there that satisfies your needs.

"The secret to a happy marriage for a man is to live in a house without there being any evidence that you actually exist."

Very well said, Outside of my theater room and the clothes in my closet, you'd never know I lived in my house, although she did have her hand in the say so of furniture and paint in the theater room, had I had my way, the ceiling would be black and I would have had Theater seating instead of a large pit group. But hey she never once asked or complained about what I spent on equipment and now I have somewhere else besides the bathroom to enjoy some alone time.:D

Back