Subwoofer Cable???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Quick question, my son has recently moved to a smaller room and therefore his old sub cable was to short. He was using a silver cable that was made by a hifi shop years ago and frankly it was a good performer.

I was helping move and to get his system up and running we ran a bought a cheap $17 dollar cable. We noticed the bass was bloomy and mushy from a JL Audio Fathom FL13 Sub. So I went to the local hifi shop and he loaned us a very long pair of wireworld equinox and it instantly better. Much tighter, no more bloom. The problem is these cables are very long about 10ft to long and in my opinion very expensive. They are $400.00 for used cables, which I think is too expensive and so does he. Anyhow he went to Ultimate Electronics and bought two runs of $70.00 Monster Cable M-Series subwoofer cable. He said they definitely delivered more base than the wireworld but not sure it was any better. They were much better than the $17.00 cable.

So after all that rambling I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had experience with these cables and are they any good?
2. Have you had good experience with another reasonably priced sub cable, he might try?
3. Any other observations are welcome.

His system is:

Von Schweikert - Unifield 2 - which are super amazing
JL Audio Sub
Esoteric CDP
Conrad Johnson Amp/Pre

Thoughts from you guys?

As a side note I use Acoustic Zen sub cables but they also get pretty expensive, in the $500.00 range.

I have a 25 ft set of Straitrwires if interested !

So after all that rambling I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had experience with these cables and are they any good?
2. Have you had good experience with another reasonably priced sub cable, he might try?
3. Any other observations are welcome.

I have no answer but just want to mention that i am especially interested in this question as well. I just got notice that my Depth was shipped today:music::rocker::cheers::banana::clap:and also need a worthy cable.

I use Wireworld Equinox for my sub with great results. I haven't tried the Monster sub cable that you refer to, but I do know the bass notes are cleaner with the Wireworld cable than any other I have used (Audioquest, cheap Monster).

I use Wireworld Equinox for my sub with great results. I haven't tried the Monster sub cable that you refer to, but I do know the bass notes are cleaner with the Wireworld cable than any other I have used (Audioquest, cheap Monster).

Just did a search and found three types of Wireworld Equinox. Which one are you recommending and which Audioquest did you compare? The Sub-3 is out of my price range but the Sub-1 may be affordable.

Thanks for the input.

Back