Sub for my EFX?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderkv

Reaction score
I use EFX for mains and surrounds and would like to know the best matching sub.

Pluss, I'm not a bass guy, I currently have the Dynamo 700 and I barely turn the knob and it's more than enough for my 10x16 ft room. I'm looking for something that will match the EFX and blend better. I was thinking of the Depth i because I hear smaller 8"woofers are faster/accurate but the Balance Force has the download option and PBK, but a larger 10" woofer that I don't need plus is slower.

Any advice?

Snyder, there are no "good matches" or "bad matches", there are only subs - some are good, and some are less good. Assuming you buy an appropriate sub, how it will sound in your system is a function of how well it's set up.

What's your budget?
Does your preamp include crossover and/or delay settings?
Do you have any room measurement gear e.g. REW or Omnimic or ???
How much flexibility do you have as regards where the sub may be placed?

The 700 shouid work very well. I am assuming you have it oriented with the driver going forward? The flippy trick we have on the 700,1000,1500 are there to provide more flexibilty in the pursuit of matching with different mains. once oriented forward, it will have a little smoother hand off to the EFX. One thing that is a generalization that i am tired of hiring is how a 8" inch is "faster" than say a 10". Low frequencies are essentially a snails pace in terms of transient demands so the rise time needed to do bass below say 100hz is not hard at all, assuming same driver qualities. The problem is that with a smaller driver, you have to increase excursion which usually results in increased distortion. We have measured many of the mini "super" subs and none actually meet the claims. the bigger driver has to move much less to do the same frequency/SPL. That is why after much work, we found that the 1500 with its, contrary to market speak, 15" driver worked better than trying to have a 12" reach the same levels. Like RUR says, it is more set up to get success assuming a decent sub. Your small room is the challenge, not the sub. Watch the video on ML of how to place a sub for some tips. Get to watch me crawl around with a hangover. Save your money.

By matching I meant more like matching quality. The EFX are 3000/pair and I'm running a $600 Dynamo. I'm more concerned about quality of the bass and not how low it goes. Thanks for the thoughts Peter. And Rur, I have no REW I've only googled it and sounds as if XT, although not as good, would be a lot easier to use. I'm running NAD T787 integrated so I'm not sure what bass functions I have although I didn't see any when I breezed through the settings. My budget would be a used Depth i.

All I want is better bass quality in the <100hz without bothering the neighbors. The more expensive subs go lower but don't know if they really sound better at the same given SPL. I have sound proof glass and everything but I haven't really tested the limits

I will actually go follow the steps this time when setting it up and will turn it into a front firing sub and see what happens.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Simply using the dollar figure to assign a quality is dangerous. The 700 sounds great and does use things like the IME to make for a very linear product. of couse going up can get you same gains, but i am personally a very value oriented guy and like to see that people maximize the potential of what they own versus throwing money at it.

By matching I meant more like matching quality. The EFX are 3000/pair and I'm running a $600 Dynamo. I'm more concerned about quality of the bass and not how low it goes. Thanks for the thoughts Peter. And Rur, I have no REW I've only googled it and sounds as if XT, although not as good, would be a lot easier to use. I'm running NAD T787 integrated so I'm not sure what bass functions I have although I didn't see any when I breezed through the settings. My budget would be a used Depth i.

All I want is better bass quality in the <100hz without bothering the neighbors. The more expensive subs go lower but don't know if they really sound better at the same given SPL. I have sound proof glass and everything but I haven't really tested the limits

I will actually go follow the steps this time when setting it up and will turn it into a front firing sub and see what happens.

Thanks again
Audyssey XT is a "room correction" product, whereas REW, Omnimic, XTZ etc are room measurement products. These latter are extremely helpful in that they allow you to see how the sub, any sub, is performing in your room, and to help you find the sub location with the smoothest response. They will also show any FR dip in the crossover region, which happens when Audyssey (often) gets the distance/delay wrong. The workable, but less ideal alternative is to watch and do the Soderberg Subwoofer Crawl™.:p

Like Peter, I wouldn't advise a new sub until you've explored proper location and setup of the sub you have. If you've got a Win laptop and you're interested in experimenting with XTZ, shoot me a PM. I often loan mine to MLC members.

can i trade mark the "Crawl"? One tip you might add to this, once we find the great placement and adjustments that help you is to add mass to the top of the woofer and make sure you spike it. Don't use the wireless option if you can run a decent cable.

Thanks Peter, I actually use the wireless option and the non spikes. So I'll go back and change to front firing, use spikes and buy a cable.

Thanks Rur I never heard of those options so maybe I'll hit you up in October whne I'm back in SD.

I forgot to mention that I am also coming from owning Spires which were dual 10" subs so I'd like something that will perform as well.

Last edited:
Back