Stylos sound foam replacement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
I thought maybe someone here could help me. I know, I know, I am sick when it comes to ML speakers but that is a different discussion....or is it.

As some of you know I already have 4 Stylos in my main HT. Well a couple of weeks ago I found a pair of gently used Stylos in white that matched my current set of Stylos. Everything looked good in pictures, the cabinets did not seem to have a mark on them and talking to the guy it sounded like they were gently used and very well taken care of.

Well, I got them and although the previous owner said they worked fine, I decided to make them new by getting new panels and woofers from ML. The only problem was that the acousitcal foam that is positioned behind the panel on the Stylos was missing on this set and ML no longer has a source for the acoustical foam. At least that is what they told me.

The foam that is inside the other 4 Stylos is medium to dark gray in color and is shaped like a trapezoid with the wide part facing the panel and the short part being placed up against the center spine on the back of the Stylos. The original foam was medium stiffness and looks like closed cell foam. It is 36 inches long, 8 inches wide and about 2 inches think.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I might find a source to buy a piece of foam that I could cut and shape to fit the Stylos? I guess the color of the foam doesn't matter. I have been to Home Depot and the like but so far have not found the size foam I am looking for. There seems to be an abundance of small foam pieces that are used for window insulation and the like, they seem perfect but are way too small.

Anyway, anybody got any ideas?

I thought maybe someone here could help me. I know, I know, I am sick when it comes to ML speakers but that is a different discussion....or is it.

As some of you know I already have 4 Stylos in my main HT. Well a couple of weeks ago I found a pair of gently used Stylos in white that matched my current set of Stylos. Everything looked good in pictures, the cabinets did not seem to have a mark on them and talking to the guy it sounded like they were gently used and very well taken care of.

Well, I got them and although the previous owner said they worked fine, I decided to make them new by getting new panels and woofers from ML. The only problem was that the acousitcal foam that is positioned behind the panel on the Stylos was missing on this set and ML no longer has a source for the acoustical foam. At least that is what they told me.

The foam that is inside the other 4 Stylos is medium to dark gray in color and is shaped like a trapezoid with the wide part facing the panel and the short part being placed up against the center spine on the back of the Stylos. The original foam was medium stiffness and looks like closed cell foam. It is 36 inches long, 8 inches wide and about 2 inches think.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I might find a source to buy a piece of foam that I could cut and shape to fit the Stylos? I guess the color of the foam doesn't matter. I have been to Home Depot and the like but so far have not found the size foam I am looking for. There seems to be an abundance of small foam pieces that are used for window insulation and the like, they seem perfect but are way too small.

Anyway, anybody got any ideas?

Did you ever find a foam solution? If not, can you PM a picture of the foam? In place is OK. We deal with several foam manufacturers here and I have a sample case of all the different types they offer. I can try and match.

I am away for a couple of days but when I get back I will take some pics and send them to you.

Post them here so others can learn from them at a later time, Joe.

...oh I forgot to say please.:D

Hi Joe, remember that acoustic foam is typically open cell, so make sure it's that style.

Also, I'd recommend a multi-layered approach to rebuilding the absorption:

a thin, but dense vibration control backing, with a foam layer, followed by a thin dacron, or acoustic cotton layer all under a very acoustically transparent fabric.
Something along the lines of stuff like this: http://www.800nonoise.com/whispermat.htm

That would provide the best performance overall in the Stylos, which like some of the ML centers, has the panel just inches from the back box.

Those ML centers actually have a layered setup like I outlined to ensure the back-wave is not reflecting off the box inches from the panel.

Hi Joe, remember that acoustic foam is typically open cell, so make sure it's that style.

Also, I'd recommend a multi-layered approach to rebuilding the absorption:

a thin, but dense vibration control backing, with a foam layer, followed by a thin dacron, or acoustic cotton layer all under a very acoustically transparent fabric.
Something along the lines of stuff like this: http://www.800nonoise.com/whispermat.htm

That would provide the best performance overall in the Stylos, which like some of the ML centers, has the panel just inches from the back box.

Those ML centers actually have a layered setup like I outlined to ensure the back-wave is not reflecting off the box inches from the panel.

Slight correction. The Stylos wasn't really a center.

Slight correction. The Stylos wasn't really a center.

Thanks Robert, quite aware of which model is which, was jsut comparing the treatment ML gives the newer center channels to what was done on the Stylos in terms of back-wave dampening.

Back